House Price Crash Forum

Alliance & Leicester Cut To 'a+/f1' On Funding Concerns - Fitch

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
Hopefully there's no-one from HPC who still has money with A & L. They've been touted as dodgy by HPC posters, along with Bradford and Bingley, for months.

Most of my cash is still with them! I'm relying on NR-style measures if it goes Tango Uniform. A colossal bailout will still be needed, whether my cash is in there or not.

HOLA445
Most of my cash is still with them! I'm relying on NR-style measures if it goes Tango Uniform. A colossal bailout will still be needed, whether my cash is in there or not.

well dont you want to help in a HPC

take your money out and give them that little bit a harder time

HOLA446

I think you will be OK. Looks as if the BOE/Govt will move quickly to have future Crocks supported on the quiet or have them bought up by the likes of Lloyds or HSBC. Both A&L and B&B are small enough for this to happen.

Having said that, I have been looking at a 12 month 6.3 fixed bond with A&L for the past few days but can't bring myself to put any money in it. Instant access is best methinks with A&L.

When you bond matures perhaps it is best to go after security rather than best IRs? Somewhere like the Leeds or Newcastle building societies are apaprenty well capitalised.

HOLA447

I wouldn't bet on it, personally.

To paraphrase Oscar Wilde:

"To be forced to nationalise one bank, Mr. King, may be regarded as a misfortune; to be forced to nationalise two looks like carelessness."

Just how much "carelessness" can Mr King and the B o E be afforded?

HOLA448

If it's instant cash m8 do yourself a favour and at least pull some out , if your in their monthly interest paying account , wait till next week then pull it all out that way you won't lose THIS months interest . For safety think about Nationwide or NR .

HOLA449
If it's instant cash m8 do yourself a favour and at least pull some out , if your in their monthly interest paying account , wait till next week then pull it all out that way you won't lose THIS months interest . For safety think about Nationwide or NR .

True. But I would need a current account with NationWide just to use their blinking eSaver, and I can't be arsed!

HOLA4410

That's what we are doing, although it is as much for their predatory attitude to savers (reel them in then drop the rates quickly) as their overall situation. <_<

HOLA4411
True. But I would need a current account with NationWide just to use their blinking eSaver, and I can't be arsed!

You may regret your laziness.

When a bank offers savers IRs higher than the competition, steer clear - it means they are desperate for your deposits to shore up their balance sheet. A & L's interest rates have been significantly higher than their competitors for several months. I wouldn't let them near a tenner of mine, never mind 10K.

HOLA4412
You may regret your laziness.

When a bank offers savers IRs higher than the competition, steer clear - it means they are desperate for your deposits to shore up their balance sheet. A & L's interest rates have been significantly higher than their competitors for several months. I wouldn't let them near a tenner of mine, never mind 10K.

I take it the same is true with the cash isa? I have a number of years allowance with A&L for both my wife and I, considering a switch to NS&I, to hell with the interest rates :angry:

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
I take it the same is true with the cash isa? I have a number of years allowance with A&L for both my wife and I, considering a switch to NS&I, to hell with the interest rates :angry:

Shoot! I'm no financial adviser. All I do is read widely. The tip-off from those in the know is always during times of turbulence to avoid those banks/institutions offering significantly higher IRs than competitors. It is a mark of weakness not of strength. In your position I'd be out of A & L as quick as Gordon Brown would be out of shares in Tony Blair.

HOLA4415
Shoot! I'm no financial adviser. All I do is read widely. The tip-off from those in the know is always during times of turbulence to avoid those banks/institutions offering significantly higher IRs than competitors. It is a mark of weakness not of strength. In your position I'd be out of A & L as quick as Gordon Brown would be out of shares in Tony Blair.

You know that shows how naive I am, I had never even made that connection :unsure:

I am going to move my ias's with next years allowance, ta!! :rolleyes:

HOLA4416
had a friedn who's a proeprty developer singing the praises of Icesave and otehr icelandic banks

'they've paid me out for five years.they'll be fine'

I just coulodn't stop laughing.

Good lord - have you had a liquid lunch or is your brain working too fast for your fingers!

What a mess of typos!

It's the kind of thing I do all the time...

I agree with what you say, though...anyone invested in Icelandic banks needs to cash in their chips asap.

HOLA4417
Moved a cash ISA from A&L last week to Lloyds. Think it takes up to 30 days for the move.

Went into Lloyds yesterday (transferring some of my ISA from Britannia).

They are allowed up to six weeks for the transfer to go through but it usually takes three weeks.

Why does it take any longer than a week?!

HOLA4418

I agree with what you say, though...anyone invested in Icelandic banks needs to cash in their chips asap.

[/quote

To buck the scare monger trend I actually opened an ICESAVE ISA today to take advantage of their 6.1% cash ISA for 08/09 and to transfer my £3k NSI direct ISA 07/08 into ICESAVE. Why? Well NS&I rate was 6.3% when I opened it, 5/75% BR + 0.55% gaurentee. For the return and safety it couldn't be beaten.

But due to the feckless overspenders the BR has dropped to 5.25%, giving me only 5.8% return, and is looking to drop further soon. On top of that the NS&I gaurentee is dropping to only +0.30% from 6/4/08 until 2009, so they rate will drop to 5.55% next week and then maybe 5.2% or even 4.95% in the next few months if the base rate drops.

Now to me under £7k well covered by the FSA £35k limit and that will not be needed for another 2+ years is well worth putting in a product paying over 0.5% more in net interest. If they get into trouble I will get all my cash back plus interest well before I need it.

M