House Price Crash Forum
crash2006

Boe 'losing The Battle' As Uk Economy Slows

in an unusual statement, Mervyn King said mortgage rates were no different today, with official interest rates at 5.25 per cent, than they were last August with rates at 5.75 per cent. In a further blow for households, he also warned that despite raging for many more months than experts predicted, the credit crunch was now intensifying. The warning implies that families will find it even harder in the coming months to secure mortgages, and millions of families set to renew their loans in the coming months will face a significant increase in their costs. Although many expect the Bank's Monetary Policy Committee to cut rates again as soon as next month, Mr King indicated that there was no guarantee this would be passed on to families

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtm.../bcnking226.xml

seems like monetary policy has no effect, now its time for public taxes.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtm.../bcnking226.xml

seems like monetary policy has no effect, now its time for public taxes.

ALL those experts who thought the credit crunch would last a few weeks, should be publicly named and posted prominantly on this website.

They are clearly charlatans

ALL those experts who thought the credit crunch would last a few weeks, should be publicly named and posted prominantly on this website.

They are clearly charlatans

What exactly did New Labour do wrong to bring us to this juncture ?

would that be ---- everything?

house prices are going down the tube, Merv said banks will be required to hold more capital, end of.

but the housing market is going to be broadly flat- he also said.

What support does he have in mind I wonder?

poker face

This indicates he doesnt have a clue where its going. Covered for all options with his soundbites

but the housing market is going to be broadly flat- he also said.

What support does he have in mind I wonder?

Mr King said: "I would be surprised if in a few years' time house prices were markedly above where they are now. I expect broadly stable house prices over the next few years"

Thats what he said. i read a drop.

big drop.

Then a few years of inflation ( 20??).

It is quite possible that the Bank of England has a mandate from the Government to continue to spend Taxpayers money on propping up the economy, even if that means further cuts to public services and a moderate increase in taxation.

Less than 30% of the adult population owns a property with a mortgage, therefore the other 70% will be called upon to help out via huge discounts to fianance the banking industry.

I suspect it would not be a hard policy to sell the Brown, and to be frank the people are pretty much neutered and sterilised to do anything about it anyway.

I dont predict any poll tax type riots if the Bank of England send another few hundred billion of taxpayers money to prop up the banks. As for hospital closure, well less than 1% of the population are in need of an operation, therefore little noise from them.

It is quite possible that the Bank of England has a mandate from the Government to continue to spend Taxpayers money on propping up the economy, even if that means further cuts to public services and a moderate increase in taxation.

Less than 30% of the adult population owns a property with a mortgage, therefore the other 70% will be called upon to help out via huge discounts to fianance the banking industry.

I suspect it would not be a hard policy to sell the Brown, and to be frank the people are pretty much neutered and sterilised to do anything about it anyway.

I dont predict any poll tax type riots if the Bank of England send another few hundred billion of taxpayers money to prop up the banks. As for hospital closure, well less than 1% of the population are in need of an operation, therefore little noise from them.

yes, poll tax riots were caused because it hit people directly intheir pockets.

a few billion in stealth taxes hits no-one.

I don't think Brown is one for moderate cuts in taxation.

He strikes me as someone who will increase taxes - direct and stealth - and also put pressure on King to lower the BOE base rate. At the same time the banks will be given the nod to do whatever they need to recoup their liquidity base even if that means screwing pensioners living on fixed savings. IMPO it will help Brown to achieve his dream of everyone living off the State and on his whim. No point in saving in this country!

I don't think Brown is one for moderate cuts in taxation.

He strikes me as someone who will increase taxes - direct and stealth - and also put pressure on King to lower the BOE base rate. At the same time the banks will be given the nod to do whatever they need to recoup their liquidity base even if that means screwing pensioners living on fixed savings. IMPO it will help Brown to achieve his dream of everyone living off the State and on his whim. No point in saving in this country!

Yeah but the slimy git is one for using tax payers money to mount an expesive legal battle to stop tax payers finding out how deep he has had his nose in the troff of government expenses!!!

Even our "Free Press" reporting on it

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7314509.stm

Nothing to hide nothing to fear! and surely MP addresses are freely available through the electoral role?

Edited by Yoss

IMPO it will help Brown to achieve his dream of everyone living off the State and on his whim. No point in saving in this country!

Why don't we juts hand everything over to the government now and all volunteer for the labor camps? At least we'd see some closure.

Guest vicmac64

They quite simply refused to regulate the banks in a timely and effective manner - indeed they at times seemed to be encouraging the HPI bubble. And look where it is getting them! Take phoney Tony of example - now on the payroll of the banks!!

Also they encouraged debt, they refused to cut public spending, they allowed unbridled immigration into the UK - everything in their power to destroy our once great country.

Sad thing is the Conservatives seem to be on exactly the same path .........

Guest vicmac64
Yeah but the slimy git is one for using tax payers money to mount an expesive legal battle to stop tax payers finding out how deep he has had his nose in the troff of government expenses!!!

Even our "Free Press" reporting on it

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7314509.stm

Nothing to hide nothing to fear! and surely MP addresses are freely available through the electoral role?

I agree entirely - of course we have been here before - many times - but the only time anything of any substance was done about MPs feathereing their own nests and in the process destroying the country - was by a Mr Oliver Cromwell and a citizen army - threw the tossers out and established the UK as the premier nation in the world.