House Price Crash Forum
sambino

Tata To Announce Jaguar Purchase

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7313380.stm

Personally after the NR nationalisation where the government has spend billions bailing a failing business out they should have least spent 1 BN getting Jaguar and Landrover back into UK ownership so we would have something we can export and be proud of as a nation

are you joking? Jaguar and LR are a good purchase. nothing to do with a bailout.

plus, in public hands we would have seen British Leyland strikes back.

no, let the indians have it, and show that by outsourcing jobs and services you end up offshoring the economy.

I bet that Gordon is happy

American company (Ford) selling part of their business to an Indian one (Tata). Nothing to do with Britain except the vehicles are made here!

Jaguar and Land Rover were owned by the British government when they were part of British Leyland, that had been nationalised after it went bankrupt. It didn't do either of them much good first time round, except perhaps in as much as they actually survived to be sold off.

Edited by Sofa Spud

Thats an interesting point. However, I dont think the UK can compete with India, China etc, However, in saying that if the pound drops like it should then China and India would be able to buy cheap imports from the west. How things will have changed.

The Rover CityRover was a Tata in disguise, made in india with badges and trim changed to look 'Rover'. It replaced the Rover 100 not long before Rover went Bankrupt. Very few CityRovers were sold.

So the ownership has gone from the cowboys to the Indians.

Who owns it doesn't matter. The profit per car is tiny. What is important for our ecconomy is that they are made in Britain. The workers get the fattest share of the purchase price.

This £1.15 Billion deal does rather put the potential £100 Billion NR exposure, multi Billion bank losses and £??? Trillion derivatives gap in perspective.

So the ownership has gone from the cowboys to the Indians.

Who owns it doesn't matter. The profit per car is tiny. What is important for our ecconomy is that they are made in Britain. The workers get the fattest share of the purchase price.

For how long though ?, they can make all these noises about keeping the manufacturing in this country to get the deal done but once they get ownership and hold of the manufacturing plant nothing to stop them moving it all to india, then where will uk jobs be ? I would have liked to have seen a UK company get ownership to safeguard uk jobs

Tata would be stupid not to build it here, with unemployment and economic inactivity so high I doubt they will have to pay a penny.

100% subsidised rent on the Factory, almost no Tax, all hiring and training paid by government, any regulation problems removed, cash bonus for each worker they take off benefits.

2 years/General Election time, they can leave and pick up the cheque, close the factory and start work for real offshore.

I think Wales has this down to a fine art by now :).

India has plans to increase car manufacturing to 10% of their economy, and Tata is one of the main players in this. As they emphasised they are keen to maintain the BRAND of jaguar and Land rover. So expect to see the technology and jobs gradually migate over to India, why would they keep on 15,000 overpriced british workers? Move the jobs and turn the factories into development land.

It is a tragedy that we don't have any strategic thinking left in this country, with no attempt to maintain real jobs.

Ford paid $2.5bn for Jaguar, invested a further $11bn and never made a penny profit in nearly 20 years.

The Indians are welcome to it. The Halewood unions agree.

India has plans to increase car manufacturing to 10% of their economy, and Tata is one of the main players in this. As they emphasised they are keen to maintain the BRAND of jaguar and Land rover. So expect to see the technology and jobs gradually migate over to India, why would they keep on 15,000 overpriced british workers? Move the jobs and turn the factories into development land.

It is a tragedy that we don't have any strategic thinking left in this country, with no attempt to maintain real jobs.

that is exactly the point

Tata has said it plans to keep the workforce in the UK. Possible savings could come from using more of its own components from India, though.

Ford lost about $10 bn owning Jag and Land Rover so they're probably glad to get shut, even if it is for half what they paid.

The Rover CityRover was a Tata in disguise, made in india with badges and trim changed to look 'Rover'. It replaced the Rover 100 not long before Rover went Bankrupt. Very few CityRovers were sold.

Yes I was looking at a City Rover parked near my office this morning. I suprised they sold any!

However how things come round. We used to sell the Indians our old car tooling. They bought the tooling for the old Morris Cowley (or was it Oxford) that became the Hindustan Ambassador. The tooling for the Rover SD1 (see my avatar) was also sold to the Indians but that was less succesful.

For how long though ?, they can make all these noises about keeping the manufacturing in this country to get the deal done but once they get ownership and hold of the manufacturing plant nothing to stop them moving it all to india, then where will uk jobs be ? I would have liked to have seen a UK company get ownership to safeguard uk jobs

I agree, I worked for an american manufacturing company in the uk which was sold to an Itallian company.They made all the the same sort of noises,We will not be making any job losses, we have not bought to close and transfer elsewere,we want your skills, They watched they learnt they took away.

Both factories now in Itally.

Edited by TIMSY

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7313380.stm

Personally after the NR nationalisation where the government has spend billions bailing a failing business out they should have least spent 1 BN getting Jaguar and Landrover back into UK ownership so we would have something we can export and be proud of as a nation

Sambino, sorry to be so blunt but you are blinded by patriotism!

JLR have great products at the moment because of Ford's money and investment in the brand. The styling of some of the vehicles (XJ, X-type) are what let them down, technologically they are very competitive. Admittedly some of the products (X-type) have been misguided but they are much more reliable and better built than when we used to own them. British cars were the pinnacle in rubbish build quality in the 60s, 70s & 80s. If left in British hands, JLR would be no more as we as a nation are too interested in being traditional and patriotic rather than making products that people want or products that we are confident in. When you are successful, qualities such as tradition and patriotism come naturally, but we as a nation are too interested in forcing these qualities. Aston Martin is the great company they are now because we British idiots were not running the company. Even though it has just been sold to a private equity firm lead by a Brit (Dave Richards) the company is still directed by a German, hence its great success. British design and engineering is world class, British management....don't get me started.

Tata is a wonderful thing for JLR and will ensure that future British traditions will be created and that we will have cars that have a modern British flavour we can all be proud of. Lets not dwell in the past, we as a nation are useless at running motor manufacturers, lets just stick to what we are good at Engineering and Innovation.