House Price Crash Forum
bertie

America - Verbatims From Those On The Edge - Coming To Uk Soon?

I found this story on CNN. There are 20+ stories here which are grim reading.

As you click through the various acounts of the financial strain these people are under you may see a number of parallels wih some people in the UK. I don't take pleasure from reading any of this. It'll proably have different nuances in the UK but I expect a simlar situation to arrive here some time in the next twelve months.

Bertie

As you click through the various acounts of the financial strain these people are under you may see a number of parallels wih some people in the UK. I don't take pleasure from reading any of this. It'll proably have different nuances in the UK but I expect a simlar situation to arrive here some time in the next twelve months.

Bertie

Good find, and grim reading indeed. Anyone who thinks the NHS is a bad idea, should definitely read this one.

Bertie

"Nuclear security officer, 37..." no, it can't be, can it ?

Mmmmm meltdown...DOH !

The pictured family hasn't gone short of food.

People on this forum often make pretty vicious comments about anyone who is "fat". However, if you look at pictures of the queues at soup kitchens in the 30's, a lot of them also seem overweight, and most people would agree that there really was genuine hunger and hardship then. Perhaps you should remember that when food is short people eat the cheapest foods, which tend to be stodgy carbohydrates - white bread, spaghetti, potatoes etc- and because they are broke and depressed they don't get out much so they put on weight, even though they are medically malnourished.

George Orwell pointed out over 50 years ago that it was no use the Govt pontificating about healthy eating; if people were miserable they needed the quick pick-me-up of sweet tea and chips. The ability to re-organise your life sensibly depends on having enough hope to do it: the same principle that makes suicides more likely when coming OUT of depression - before that you just can't get it together to organise it!

People on this forum often make pretty vicious comments about anyone who is "fat". However, if you look at pictures of the queues at soup kitchens in the 30's, a lot of them also seem overweight, and most people would agree that there really was genuine hunger and hardship then. Perhaps you should remember that when food is short people eat the cheapest foods, which tend to be stodgy carbohydrates - white bread, spaghetti, potatoes etc- and because they are broke and depressed they don't get out much so they put on weight, even though they are medically malnourished.

George Orwell pointed out over 50 years ago that it was no use the Govt pontificating about healthy eating; if people were miserable they needed the quick pick-me-up of sweet tea and chips. The ability to re-organise your life sensibly depends on having enough hope to do it: the same principle that makes suicides more likely when coming OUT of depression - before that you just can't get it together to organise it!

Good post actually. My "pick me up" is traditionally chocolate sadly, but a 11stone I don't have too much to worry about. I try and eat fresh quality protein. A few days on carbs and I feel down and bloated. I won't be stocking up on beans and rice any time soon accept perhaps to barter with.

Indeed, its a vicious cycle. Carbs > causes chromium deficiency > leads to inability to process insulin > weight gain > depression, > more carbs > greater chromium deficiency etc etc

Atkins was a genius. He saw this years ago.

Interesting undercurrent running through those. It would appear the Septics don't like inflation. One has to wonder how long it'll be before the politics of this really start to bite, and we see a change of direction.

Spot on.

Indeed, its a vicious cycle. Carbs > causes chromium deficiency > leads to inability to process insulin > weight gain > depression, > more carbs > greater chromium deficiency etc etc

Atkins was a genius. He saw this years ago.

Yes the high carb and so called "low fat" diet is slowly killing us. The biggest con is low fat diet foods, because they are often stuffed with sugar instead!

Dietary fat does not make you fat and are good provided they are the right type and not the hydrogenated "glop" found in fast "proessed" foods and takeaways.

Did you see that IBS expert on the TV last week - made a big thing of sitting down for the interview with a big plate of chips. He said that whenever someone came to him complaing of IBS but said that they ate a healthy low-fat fad diet that he immediately knew where the problem was.

We are trying to put a change in our bodies in a few years whereas our diet is the result of a 100,000 years. The difference today is not so much what we eat but that we no longer work in the fields or do manual work. Instead we drive everywhere and sit in offices. Speakingo f which, have to go drive to the shops now.

This about sums things up:

Consultant, 59, Eugene, Ore.

My wife and I have been saving our money for many years in hopes of buying a retirement home and living off our investments. No matter how much we saved, it seemed that housing prices continued to escalate beyond any reasonable bounds. We feel like fools for saving our money, which only gets eaten by inflation.

We are absolutely disgusted by government fiscal policy which provides cheap money to investment banks. The loose fiscal policy essentially robs savers and rewards people who borrow and speculate. Anyone with a pulse knows that the current housing fiasco is the result of loose fiscal policy and a complete failure to regulate fraudulent behavior of everyone in the real estate business, including the investment banks, realtors, appraisers and buyers.

Loose fiscal policy is a primary cause of inflation, and inflation is simply a silent tax, as it lowers the purchasing power of money that we have saved as surely as if the government had simply confiscated the money via taxation.

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2008/news/0..._stories/7.html

It would seem HPC is not only a source of financial wisdom but also dietary advice. Perhaps Nigella's followup to Nigella Express should be Nigella Repossessed - how to live in Chelsea on a dollar a day.