House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
dubsie

Is It Too Late?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7313264.stm

It's becoming clear the worlds climate is changing and the latest long term prediction for the UK is another wet summer as the azores are showing similar weather patterns. Westerly currents are slowing which could lead to a dramatic shift in the UK weather, which means more storms and more freak weather.

Is it too late to stop climate change? Or is it too late to forecast a wet summer? :rolleyes:

In my experience, any forecast months ahead is like a futures dealer in London, just guessing.

Didn't an electric blanket manufacturer a few years ago start a rumour about an impending Arctic winter? A lot of weather forecasting seems to me to be marketing by one VI or another.

It's becoming clear the worlds climate is changing and the latest long term prediction for the UK is another wet summer as the azores are showing similar weather patterns. Westerly currents are slowing which could lead to a dramatic shift in the UK weather, which means more storms and more freak weather.

Let us not forget that the forecast for last summer was that is was going to be a scorcher - possibly breaking records for heat and drought. The fact that the same bunch are now forecasting a wet summer is the best news I've heard so far this year ;)

If the sea levels start to rise even a few metres, it'll affect the value of sea-side property a fair bit!

It could become worthless like some of the places in East Anglia or parts of Dorset where erosion is in 10s of metres a year.

Edited by Stourbridge Baggie

It always has and it always will.

look i know your a sceptic but watch this 3 min video.

it is 100% proof of global warming and it will destroy much of england!!

just watch it!

does that mean houseprices go up or down?

I would probably say down. If the scientists are correct and you have kids then they will have some major shocks and house prices won't matter one bit.

Yup, the world is cooling, global warming theory predicts dry hot summers, not cold wet ones like last year and this year.

But hey. It's climate "science". Where everything that happens is proof of man made global warming by CO2. Even as the world grows colder, and it has been a very cold winter globally, this will be proof positive of warming in the Church of Carbon.

A bit like house prices going down is proof that they will always go up in the long term...

Guest anorthosite
Let us not forget that the forecast for last summer was that is was going to be a scorcher - possibly breaking records for heat and drought. The fact that the same bunch are now forecasting a wet summer is the best news I've heard so far this year ;)

Climate and weather are two different things remember.

They're forecasting a wet summer? I guess it'll be a scorcher then!

dont worry, evolution will save us!

if sea levels rise and we decide to stay put, im sure after a few dozen generations we will evolve gills and then we can colonise the sea bed.

isnt 70% of the world covered in water?

humm, perhaps it will be a good thing?

Very true, weather and climate are not the same thing but they are directly related which makes this subject extremely complicated. I don't trust long term weather predictions either but factors in the Azores are at the moment showing a dramatic change.

Actually, round my way, there used to be heavy flooding. In East Molesey in 1967 (ish), Molesey high street was under water. A friend showed me a picture of a man rowing his boat past the traffic lights, which were presumably not working.

It was this that prompted them to build a mini barrier where the Ember (or Mole) ,meets the thames.

What a shame, if only they had instead offset their carbon, we wouldn't be in this mess today.

Actually my point was going to be about the fact that we rent our house in what used to be called "Ditton Marshes" and so are fully protected from our property being ruined by flooding, cos we don'thave one. :)

....Littlejohn in the Mail is never far from the facts... <_<

The iceman cometh...it must be March

Global warming update. According to NASA scientists in Maryland, the polar ice caps, far from shrinking, are actually increasing in size this year.

To the north of Canada, ice now covers two million square kilometres more than it did the past three winters and is between 10mm and 20mm thicker than last year.

In the Alps, where last year's mild winter sparked a wave of hysteria about "global warming", they've just had their best snowfall for 20 years and the skiing season kicked off two weeks early.

You won't have heard any of this inconvenient truth on the news.

Meanwhile, our own freezing Easter is taken by some as evidence of "climate change".

Yet I seem to remember when I was at school being taught a rhyme that went something like: "March winds doth blow, and we shall have snow."

So no change there, then.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...n_author_id=322

just watch it!

Mint. :lol:

If the sea levels start to rise even a few metres, it'll affect the value of sea-side property a fair bit!

It could become worthless like some of the places in East Anglia or parts of Dorset where erosion is in 10s of metres a year.

Haven't you ever seen the "Ice In a Glass of Water" trick.......

Step one- Fill a glass with some water, mark the level of the water on the side of the glass.

Step two- Pour a little bit of the water into a ice making tray, freeze this water.

Step three- Put the frozen water back into the glass!!! and you will be amazed to see that the water level is the same as before?

SO, (for all you uneducated people out there) that must mean that if all the ice melted in the whole wide world, the sea levels will stay the same!!!

and one more thing, the Earth/World as had the same amount of water, (Give or take what they take into space) since the day it was formed.

It as always amazed me how arrogant the human race has become, just one major volcano eruption will do more damage to this planet than man could ever do, even a nuclear bomb blast is like a fart in the wind compared to what mother nature can do.

just watch it!

Very good..

Step one- Fill a glass with some water, mark the level of the water on the side of the glass.

Step two- Pour a little bit of the water into a ice making tray, freeze this water.

Step three- Put the frozen water back into the glass!!! and you will be amazed to see that the water level is the same as before?

SO, (for all you uneducated people out there) that must mean that if all the ice melted in the whole wide world, the sea levels will stay the same!!!

and one more thing, the Earth/World as had the same amount of water, (Give or take what they take into space) since the day it was formed.

It as always amazed me how arrogant the human race has become, just one major volcano eruption will do more damage to this planet than man could ever do, even a nuclear bomb blast is like a fart in the wind compared to what mother nature can do.

While I agree man made warming is b*llocks, I think you'll find that ice which is sitting on the land would effect the sea levels if it melted.

I never said that melting ice will raise sea levels, there are other factors but to advise you on Physics, all that frozen water held in the ice that is ABOVE the sea level melting into the sea would raise the level, if very slightly. Also, if all the ice in both caps melted and ran into the sea would have an effect. Antartica is a land mass that has ice on it 1000s of feet thick. Thats a huge volume of frozen water.

While I agree man made warming is b*llocks, I think you'll find that ice which is sitting on the land would effect the sea levels if it melted.

The earths crust which is above and below water is constantly changing, if you studied geography at school then you will know that hawaii, new zealand, iceland, etc etc ..... are new land masses that are still growing. So who are "you" to say what will happen in the future.... (god maybe) Like i said MANKIND is so arrogant and full of self importance that we believe we can change the physical world as well as the financial world ha ha ha ha..... (The Earth was here before us and will be here after we have all gone)

The earths crust which is above and below water is constantly changing, if you studied geography at school then you will know that hawaii, new zealand, iceland, etc etc ..... are new land masses that are still growing. So who are "you" to say what will happen in the future.... (god maybe) Like i said MANKIND is so arrogant and full of self importance that we believe we can change the physical world as well as the financial world ha ha ha ha..... (The Earth was here before us and will be here after we have all gone)

You stated earlier that melting ice wouldn't affect sea levels; someone proved you wrong so you now start talking about the earth's crust and new land masses?