House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ian Chesterton

£250,000 Property Bee Drop In Edinburgh

I posted this in the regional forum, I thought it might be worth posting here:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-196...=1&tr_t=buy

25th Mar 2008 * Price changed: Offers in Excess of £3,750,000 £3,500,000

I've been told by a friend who lives locally its the home of the chief executive of the Royal Bank of Scotland. I wonder if he's STRing?

...whoever ...they're a bit late.... <_<

Seriously, do you think so? I mean, it's big alright, but it looks really uncomfortable. The sort of place where you feel obliged to wear a suit so as not to make it look scruffy and that doesn't have even a half decent sofa for slobbing out in front of the telly on. It looks more like a hotel than a home to me.

edited:typos

Edited by tbatst2000

This reminded me of an amusing story about this Matthews guy. He got himself some rather unfortunate publicity last year when he used the phrase "a ****** in the woodpile" during a meeting with the staff. I think he was discussing a proposal to cut staff pensions, a move which caused a great deal of resentment among the rank and file, since of course the senior management all had their benefits protected while everyone else had to suffer. Anyway, this was reported in the Scotsman, where one of the readers contributed the following to the online comments section:

Poor old Trev’s a bit accident-prone.

Here’s something from the City Diary section of The Times (18 March 2005).

"Trevor Matthews, the Australian who came on board at Standard Life last July to run the life and pensions side, pens an inspirational note to all staff each Friday, ending with a suitable quote from history.

"Matthews asks Standard Life staff for ideas and one colleague came up with a stirring line…from Martin Luther King. Matthews duly stuck it on his note and sent it around the company.

"The quote was: ‘Obstacles do not exist to be surrendered to but only to be broken.’

"The next week's edition contained a grovelling apology. Matthews was forced to admit that the source of the quote wasn't the great US civil rights leader but Adolf Hitler.

"The insurer describes the slip as "unfortunate".

"What about the employee who provided the quote? "The member of staff doesn't work for us any more. He was leaving the company." "

Priceless!

"The Australian bought the detached Victorian villa for not much more than £1m after moving from Japan in 2004. The property, being marketed by Knight Frank, "boasts a fine array of original features including exquisite Scottish Baronial thistle cornicing and original black marble fireplaces". Anyone interested? "

His house price tripled in 4 years. Brilliant.

Just goes to show you cant go wrong with quality property in the right location.

Edited by beans on toast

Seriously, do you think so? I mean, it's big alright, but it looks really uncomfortable. The sort of place where you feel obliged to wear a suit so as not to make it look scruffy and that doesn't have even a half decent sofa for slobbing out in front of the telly on. It looks more like a hotel than a home to me.

It's more the outside that I like, you can always redecorate.

On a completely unrelated note, I also wouldn't mind owning something like this:

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2008/real_e..._auction/2.html

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

You don't wear a suit when watching the Queen's British Broadcasting Corporation?

Shameful.

On a completely unrelated note, I also wouldn't mind owning something like this:

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2008/real_e..._auction/2.html

Yes, that's much more my style too. Not much hope of ever owning something like that in the UK sad to say (they don't exist as far as I can tell and, if they did, only Richard Branson could afford one).

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
Is an orangerie just a posh conservatory?

In the medieval times when Britain was mostly covered by frost all year round, orangeries were invented by Norman invaders so that they could grow the delightful citrus fruit over here.

Interestingly, the Norman males were very poor lovers, whilst their wives, being French, loved it up them. The young English orangiers, gardeners attached to orangery duties, would often be seduced by these disgusting horny French harlots when their husbands were away purchasing lace handkerchiefs, and inevitably some oranges would be crushed during the flagrante delicto. The crushed oranges were made into conserves so as to not arouse suspicions of wife-porking in the orangery. The cheeky English orangiers would call the conserves 'Ma'am laid', which with the standardisation of spelling in 1943, became the word 'Marmalade'

So it's not just a conservatory. Ok? You cannot possibly make non marmalade varieties of jam from the spoilings in an orangery. Simply not done.

Edited by DissipatedYouthIsValuable

Is an orangerie just a posh conservatory?

Ah, but it's a majestic orangerie. And given the way they've spelled orangerie (the usual English spelling is orangery), you're probably supposed to pronounce it with a French accent. Maybe it rhymes with lingerie: "I like to wear my lingerie in the orangerie".

"The Australian bought the detached Victorian villa for not much more than £1m after moving from Japan in 2004. The property, being marketed by Knight Frank, "boasts a fine array of original features including exquisite Scottish Baronial thistle cornicing and original black marble fireplaces". Anyone interested? "

His house price tripled in 4 years. Brilliant.

Just goes to show you cant go wrong with quality property in the right location.

According to Nethouseprices, it was bought on 23rd August 2004 for £1,940,000, so he's more likely to double his money than treble it. Still not bad though (assuming he can sell it for that price). It's probably mere pocket money to this guy though ... here we are: in 2006 his total remuneration was £1,286,000.

In the medieval times when Britain was mostly covered by frost all year round, orangeries were invented by Norman invaders so that they could grow the delightful citrus fruit over here.

Interestingly, the Norman males were very poor lovers, whilst their wives, being French, loved it up them. The young English orangiers, gardeners attached to orangery duties, would often be seduced by these disgusting horny French harlots when their husbands were away purchasing lace handkerchiefs, and inevitably some oranges would be crushed during the flagrante delicto. The crushed oranges were made into conserves so as to not arouse suspicions of wife-porking in the orangery. The cheeky English orangiers would call the conserves 'Ma'am laid', which with the standardisation of spelling in 1943, became the word 'Marmalade'

So it's not just a conservatory. Ok? You cannot possibly make non marmalade varieties of jam from the spoilings in an orangery. Simply not done.

For a moment, you made me believe that story :lol:

origin of marmalade

So if i buy this and tell the mortgage company i am paying £3.75 million, then i will have £250k to finance the mortgage for 12 months.

In 12 months time I sell the property for £4.0m (prices only go up in edinburgh never down and this only aaumes a modest 14% growth) then I have lived with no mortgage cost there for 12 months and walk away with £275k.

I could even rent out the rooms and make even more money.

I can see no flaws in this plan ?