House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Its time to buy

Renovation Disaster - "a Mse Moment"

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/...ticle957438.ece

Broke mum's debt clearance

A MUM’S plan to clear her debts and make money by doing up and selling a house has ended in disaster.

Wendy Black is now £32,000 in the red and has been threatened with bankruptcy.

The full-time student,who has daughters aged 17 and 19, thought improvements to her four-bedroom property would cost around £30,000 — but the final bill soared to £60,000.

Wendy, 44, funded most of the project with SIX credit cards.

She owes the Halifax £9,500, Citicard £5,000, American Express £3,500, Tesco £5,000, M&S £4,500 and Barclaycard £5,000.

The problems came to light when Halifax bosses took £145 — two months’ child allowance for her 17-year-old — out of her savings account to try to reduce the card debt.

“It was the only money I had left and I needed it for food,” says Wendy.

She admits she got into trouble because of the rising costs of her home, which she has now put on the market for £339,000.

I think a lot of people are hoping to sell their homes to clear debts - dont be a mug and let them off the hook!