House Price Crash Forum

Land Speculation Goes Out Of Fashion Too...

Guest happy?

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

Isn't this an example of speculation where a piece of land is divided into small plots in the hope of a vast profit if planning permission is granted? The plot size is also surely wrong, 0.2 square metres? Thats 44 cm by 44 cm! Maybe its 0.2 hectares.

Edited for typo

Edited by Stourbridge Baggie

HOLA444
HOLA445
Guest happy?
Isn't this an example of speculation where a piece of land is divided into small plots in the hope of a vast profit if planning permission is granted? The plot size is also surely wrong, 0.2 square metres? Thats 44 cm by 44 cm! Maybe its 0.2 hectares.

Edited for typo

You're right, it has been subdivided, evidently the EAs have got the site size wrong. Getting these clowns to agree to do anything together would be a nightmare - no national builder would ever go near such a site even if tomorrow it magically got planning permission - they'd be a hostage to whoever held out longest. The problem is, the clowns who bought these sites are too daft to figure that one out.

I believe buying and sub-dividing like this has been successfully deployed by green lobbyists only too well aware of the difficulties/costs is raises for those trying to get title on the site.

These plots will never get planning permission, and they will never be able to build on them. They've bought arable land at prime building land prices. As I said in my first posting, these people have bought themselves the most expensive allotments imaginable - and they still need to fence them to keep rabbits/deer off.

This as much as city-centre 'apartments' will be emblematic of the tulip-mania which will define this decade as one of mad property speculation.

HOLA446

Whether or not you agree with NIMBYs buying up land in this way or not, (if that IS what has happened) the fact that the EA selling it makes no explanation of the nature or intended use of the land is suspect. I suppose they would give a full explanation of its purpose or use if you made an inquiry <_< .

Edited for typo - again.

Edited by Stourbridge Baggie

HOLA447
Guest happy?
Whether or not you agree with NIMBYs buying up land in this way or not, (if that IS what has happened) the fact that the EA selling it makes no explanation of the nature or intended use of the land is suspect. I suppose they would give a full explanation of its purpose or use if you made an inquiry <_< .

Edited for typo - again.

I don't think it's NIMBYs - though that's not a bad idea. It's a scam where some con-artist buys several acres at a few thousand per acre and then flogs it to the unsuspecting at the same price per plot. The potential profit is several thousand per cent - all you do is convince the punter is that planning permission is bound to happen (pressure to build, growing population, higher divorce rate, demand for housing etc.). It's important that as part of the scam you tell the punter you've started the planning process but can't complete it until all plots are sold - usually on the pretext that this will carry more weight with the planning department at Bogcaster District Council. Bogcaster DC published their LDF a year ago and this field (you can be certain) is outside the immutable permitted development zone.

HOLA448
HOLA449

I just google earthed this place and it's ploughed arable land just to the north of a golf course... not a hope they'll get residential planning permission for this.

Interestingly the pictures on rightmove were taken in 2002 and only 1 plot (a44) is for sale.. I wonder if someone actually fell for this scam and is now trying to offload it? Still compared to BTL it's not that an expensive life experience, or **** up, to learn from :)

HOLA4410

I have seen the results of these scams. After it has sunk into the brains of the victims that planning permission will never be given you are left with a field that nobody can properlyt use or sell because of the fractured title. Eventually because nobody uses or secures it the squatters move in and begin a variety of illegal users and it blights the neighbours for years.

HOLA4411
Guest happy?
I have seen the results of these scams. After it has sunk into the brains of the victims that planning permission will never be given you are left with a field that nobody can properlyt use or sell because of the fractured title. Eventually because nobody uses or secures it the squatters move in and begin a variety of illegal users and it blights the neighbours for years.

What makes it the more depressing is that I've heard that in many cases the land buyers live overseas - and don't have the first clue that there's no way permission will be given. Land's far too precious to squander on the greedy, and there should be a mechanism to stop such blight - compulsory purchase at its arable value?

HOLA4412
What makes it the more depressing is that I've heard that in many cases the land buyers live overseas - and don't have the first clue that there's no way permission will be given. Land's far too precious to squander on the greedy, and there should be a mechanism to stop such blight - compulsory purchase at its arable value?

The trouble is that if the scammers word the prospectus carefully no crime is being committed. Once they have taken their profit and gone the damage is done. There may be some statutory authority under which CPO powers could be exercised but I have never heard of it never mind seen it done. If anybody knows of such a statute I would be very interested.