House Price Crash Forum

Yet More Job Losses

HOLA441
HOLA442

Just read the head line in the Bradford newspaper while going for lunch.

120 jobs to go at Danso car parts in the city.

I think they will soon need to rewrite the Labour election poster.

Thatcher - recession, Major - recession, Brown - Depression

HOLA443
HOLA444
Hmmmm.

It may just be me , but I find this idea just a little distasteful ?

Why is it distastful to keep abreast of current affairs especially in these economic times? You can bury your head in the sand as long as you want however I want to be informed as to what is happening throughout the country. Do you also find the Governments monthly unemployment figures distastful?

HOLA445

These look like fairly standard job losses to me, something that is just part of the ebb and flow of a normal economy, not one about to sink into a recession. how can 120 jobs going at Danso mean depression?

It is ironically an unhealthy sign if this is not happenning - it means govt. is propping up unprofitable businesses or the economy is in such a boom that even the weakest can survive, until a recession follows.

As someone posted earlier, there is a danger of spinning every bit of news out of all proportion. This looks like it to me. You eventually won't see the wood for the trees.

Don't want to spoil the party though. :)

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
These look like fairly standard job losses to me, something that is just part of the ebb and flow of a normal economy, not one about to sink into a recession. how can 120 jobs going at Danso mean depression?

It is ironically an unhealthy sign if this is not happenning - it means govt. is propping up unprofitable businesses or the economy is in such a boom that even the weakest can survive, until a recession follows.

As someone posted earlier, there is a danger of spinning every bit of news out of all proportion. This looks like it to me. You eventually won't see the wood for the trees.

Don't want to spoil the party though. :)

Agreed,what about the news of 02 creating 1500 new jobs?Sorry don't know how to post the link.I think it is appropriate to post about job losses ,but at the same time we should also include new jobs created- this way we will get a more balanced picture of what is happening!

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Yeah but it's not quite as straight forward as that. There are 2000 new call centre jobs but 500 managerial and admin (better paid, possibly not soul destroying jobs) have been lost.

This is being repeated all the time. Relatively well paid and skilled jobs replaced by call centre and inputting jobs.

HOLA4413
Yeah but it's not quite as straight forward as that. 

Agreed, balance is needed, but this thread was not started with balance in mind. I was simply stressing a point that you cannot pick and choose what you hear about job losses. You must look at gains as well for an overall picture. The guy who started this thread simply stated a "fact" about job losses at the bank of Ireland. They didn't state that the majority of job losses were in Ireland. i.e they were not balanced.

I also find it a bit disgusting that people seem to gloat about job losses. Someone will lose their job. They may have a wife/husband and kids to support. This causes a lot of heartache. They mightn't be able to afford the rent/mortgage. Not good at all.

HOLA4414
Agreed, balance is needed, but this thread was not started with balance in mind. I was simply stressing a point that you cannot pick and choose what you hear about job losses. You must look at gains as well for an overall picture. The guy who started this thread simply stated a "fact" about job losses at the bank of Ireland. They didn't state that the majority of job losses were in Ireland. i.e they were not balanced.

I also find it a bit disgusting that people seem to gloat about job losses. Someone will lose their job. They may have a wife/husband and kids to support. This causes a lot of heartache. They mightn't be able to afford the rent/mortgage. Not good at all.

If you cannot see the trend of daily announces of job losses then you are simply fooling yourself. Everybody who keeps an eye on the business sections knows unemployment is rising daily. If you want to report your daily job gains then feel free however you will simply begin to see a very predictable trend.

Its not 'if' but 'when'.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
If you cannot see the trend of daily announces of job losses then you are simply fooling yourself. Everybody who keeps an eye on the business sections knows unemployment is rising daily.  If you want to report your daily job gains then feel free however you will simply begin to see a very predictable trend.

Its not 'if' but 'when'.

For example 2 other from the last couple of days: Peaugot and BBC - Cant remember figures but there in the thousands.

HOLA4417

I agree with Shakerbaby. This economy has been running for at least the past three years on a combination of artificially low interest rates, Gordon Brown tax rise sponsored nothing jobs and credit junkie consumerism. Once these catalysts are removed (not through choice) the economy will tank big time taking many unfortunates, both property owners and renters with it.

The trend Shakerbaby identifies is merely the beginning of the end.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
For example 2 other from the last couple of days: Peaugot and BBC - Cant remember figures but there in the thousands.

Oops, and heres some more from the 21st: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4368645.stm

Not a biggie but its all part of the same trend:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/notting...ire/4365699.stm

And what this? Oh yes another cut mentioned last Friday:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hampshire/4359191.stm

Lets hope its not your house thats burning down:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4359527.stm

We're still only back to the 18th for this one:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4358987.stm

Oh well:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4353423.stm

Need I go on?

Do the math! :rolleyes:

HOLA4420
Need I go on?

Do the math!  :rolleyes:

No, you do some.

The economy is constantly evolving and this sort of thing happens. Alders went into administration recently, not because of the impending economic apocolypse, but because it was naff and outdated and everyone now goes up the road to Debenhams.

Workforces build slowly but collapse suddenly, like ( too much like!) a house of cards. There are thus not likely to be many stories reporting massive job gains. Why not look at the unemployment figures for the past few years. I do not have them to hand, but am sure you can find a link. ;)

The economy is constantly evolving and this sort of thing happens. Alders went into administration recently, not because of the impending economic apocolypse, but because it was naff and outdated and everyone now goes up the road to Debenhams.

HOLA4421
No, you do some.

Workforces build slowly but collapse suddenly, like ( too much like!) a house of cards. There are thus not likely to be many stories reporting massive job gains. Why not look at the unemployment figures for the past few years. I do not have them to hand, but am sure you can find a link.  ;)

No matter how many times you say it it is the start of the end as we know it. ;) Maybe with the unemployment figures you might also want to post the rising student figures and then also start considering the trillion in debt people are drowning in and how the unemployed are going to pay it back. Thankfully I did the sensible thing and cleared all my debt last year. :D

HOLA4422

It will be interesting to see how the retail sector holds up - if they make it till christmas 2005 - we already saw the Gadget shop go under.

We already mentioned previously that M&S, WH Smith, Woolies, Boots and Dixons are finding it tough in another thread. This comming Christmas needs to be a good one.

Where are the new jobs comming from? I don t see any booming industries at the moment- with the exception of the supermarkets Tesco, and Asda (are they replacing the lost jobs in big enough quantities??)

HOLA4423
It will be interesting to see how the retail sector holds up - if they make it till christmas 2005 - we already saw the Gadget shop go under.

We already mentioned previously that M&S, WH Smith, Woolies, Boots and Dixons are finding it tough in another thread. This comming Christmas needs to be a good one.

Does that mean Christmas sales will start in July this year?

HOLA4424

Where are the new jobs comming from? I don t see any booming industries at the moment-  with the exception of the supermarkets Tesco, and Asda (are they replacing the lost jobs in big enough quantities??)

Thats right I forgot about the Gadget shop going into administration just last week with the loss of circa 750 jobs I think. Oh but no doubt someone will post that the customer has simply started to shop at .... oops, where else can someone buy gadgets? :unsure: It definetly a sign of tightening purse strings when the consumer stops buying cheap tacky plastic gadgets. ;)

HOLA4425