House Price Crash Forum
The Masked Tulip

Is There Something Up Today?

I transferred some money online today from one account to another within the same bank. Normally it takes seconds but this morning it looked as if the browser was going to time out. Eventually the transaction went through and I thought nothing more about it.

However, I was just out in the shops and noticed a big queue outside the Lloyds/TSB cash machine. Turns out all the other banks in the area have had their cash machines go out of service today. Bit of a coincidence?

Perhaps the banks were expecting a black Tuesday? Perhaps they had been on this site over the weekend and decided to top themselves? Perhaps a fuse had blown somewhere?

Ive known 3 cash machines run empty in my nearest town on a super sunday weekend, with good friday and bank holiday monday perhaps cashpoint are running empty

When I went out this lunchtime, I had to queue for ages at Pret a Manger. Is there a run on sandwiches? Fortunately I went for the ham and tomato soup, so I'm protected.

I've noticed that Currys seem to be out of PS3s at pretty much every store across the country too. Probably due to the same thing.

I transferred some money online today from one account to another within the same bank. Normally it takes seconds but this morning it looked as if the browser was going to time out. Eventually the transaction went through and I thought nothing more about it.

However, I was just out in the shops and noticed a big queue outside the Lloyds/TSB cash machine. Turns out all the other banks in the area have had their cash machines go out of service today. Bit of a coincidence?

Perhaps the banks were expecting a black Tuesday? Perhaps they had been on this site over the weekend and decided to top themselves? Perhaps a fuse had blown somewhere?

Is something up at the moment. Yes paranoia, and that is 100% true guaranteed!

What is instructive is that a year ago you would have dismissed such an event as...well... just one of those things...a technical hitch. Now, because your confidence in banks has been shattered, you and millions more like you and me are more inclined to read the worst into these "malufunctions" than to believe the best. Another graphic example of a growing lack of confidence in our banking system.

When I went out this lunchtime, I had to queue for ages at Pret a Manger. Is there a run on sandwiches? Fortunately I went for the ham and tomato soup, so I'm protected.

Got me kn*b stuck in the car door.....

What is instructive is that a year ago you would have dismissed such an event as...well... just one of those things...a technical hitch. Now, because your confidence in banks has been shattered, you and millions more like you and me are more inclined to read the worst into these "malufunctions" than to believe the best. Another graphic example of a growing lack of confidence in our banking system.

Good point.

"Just because I am paranoid doesn't mean that they aren't out to get me!" - Fox Mulder.

Is something up at the moment. Yes paranoia, and that is 100% true guaranteed!

I don't think it's "paranoia" which is defined as "baseless or excessive suspicion of the motives of others".

I think that our current fears re banks are neither baseless nor excessive. In fact, I think they are totally rational given the current global financial situation. We are not paranoid, just watchful.

Er, thanks for sharing that with us Eric :unsure:

Pleasure!! :lol::lol:

Bring back Satire -- it's gone -- where has it gone? -- BRITAIN NEEDS SATIRE......

Edited by eric pebble

I don't think it's "paranoia" which is defined as "baseless or excessive suspicion of the motives of others".

I think that our current fears re banks are neither baseless nor excessive. In fact, I think they are totally rational given the current global financial situation. We are not paranoid, just watchful.

You're right, paranoia was unfair. Certainly these concerns are not baseless.

Edited by Optobear

But remember only the first 35l of soup is guaranteed.....

But remember only the first 35l of soup is guaranteed.....

Ooh don't get me started. The 35l of soup is just a levy on the rest of the soup industry. You know there is no pot of soup to bail out your soup if a soup supplier collapses? And anyway, the government simply don't have enough soup to bail out a major soup supplier if it collapses.

Igonore the paranoia jibes.

You may be on to something.

Went into town today and the cash machines are only giving out Euros !!!

Igonore the paranoia jibes.

You may be on to something.

Went into town today and the cash machines are only giving out Euros !!!

You think that is crazy, paddles went out and the cash machine was only giving out soup. Either that or I've really lost the thread!

ATM's are under pressure during holiday periods due to Cash in Transit firms being on Holiday and the increased withdrawals, also Loomis are performing poorly after the took over from Brinks, so if you’re ATM is filled by Loomis, that’s probably the reason!

I have not trusted sandwich shops for some time now. Actually, I'm a bit worried that once the situation becomes clear, the government might try to confiscate the ingredients I'm holding at home, in order to bail out the imprudent who turned out to be a sandwich short...

I think I'll hide my cheese and pickles under the floorboards :ph34r: