House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TheCountOfNowhere

Did Rightmove Miles Grow This Weekend ?

Did anyone notice rightmove miles getting longer this weekend ?

It's p*ssin me off, I want to do a localised search for Northampton and i'm getting Milton Keynes!!!

EDIT:

e.g.

To: Great Oxendon,Market Harborough Reverse this route

Distance: 16.0 miles

Now appears in my Northampton + 10 mile search.

I'll have a word with trading standards, seems wrong to me...

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

Rightmove's search is beyond me. I get different results pretty much every time. A search for ST3 + 1 mile will sometimes return matches in ST1 (2 or 3 miles away), then the next time you search, they've gone again. Plus, houses that haven't appeared at all in your search one week will suddenly turn up "sold" the next.

Rightmove's search is beyond me. I get different results pretty much every time. A search for ST3 + 1 mile will sometimes return matches in ST1 (2 or 3 miles away), then the next time you search, they've gone again. Plus, houses that haven't appeared at all in your search one week will suddenly turn up "sold" the next.

They've been doing that for ages I think....they tend to apply a liberal interpretation to geography.

I think mose websites do it on their search criteria. I recently did a jobs search on jobsite.co.uk, looking for a sales role, and it threw up a vacany for a librarian. Maybe they are trying to tell me something.... B)

Are Rightmove miles "as the crow flies"? I would be surprised if they were based on route distances.

I would think so. I complained to them the last time they increased them. I suddenly got Newport Pagnel in searches for NN1 + 10 miles, Newport Pagnells is about 14 miles as the crow flies from the center of Northampton. They basically told me to f**k off when I complained.

I've emailed milton keynes trading standards to complain, I think they shouldnt just be allowed to do what they want, it's false advertising in my book.

their email address is:

tsd@milton-keynes.gov.uk

I would think so. I complained to them the last time they increased them. I suddenly got Newport Pagnel in searches for NN1 + 10 miles, Newport Pagnells is about 14 miles as the crow flies from the center of Northampton. They basically told me to f**k off when I complained.

I've emailed milton keynes trading standards to complain, I think they shouldnt just be allowed to do what they want, it's false advertising in my book.

their email address is:

tsd@milton-keynes.gov.uk

Can't see trading standards doing anything. You haven't really lost anything.

What next? Sue Google when it brings up dud search results?

There has been a thread on this very subject in living memory. You could go and have a look for it. It did have a very good explantion of postcode centroids etc in it.

their email address is:

tsd@milton-keynes.gov.uk

The question is, is the Newport Pagnell property more than 10 miles from anywhere with a NN1 postcode?

They've been doing that for ages I think....they tend to apply a liberal interpretation to geography.

I think mose websites do it on their search criteria. I recently did a jobs search on jobsite.co.uk, looking for a sales role, and it threw up a vacany for a librarian. Maybe they are trying to tell me something.... B)

I think they take a liberal approach to the monthly indices too!!!

Perhaps their EAs are putting pressure on now :::::o:unsure:

I am pretty sure that trading standards won't care if a search engine produces bad results.

You don't have to use it if you think it is inaccurate, do you?

And you have not lost any money at all.

And you can easily verify the location of any house that you are actively interested in.

If they *are* changing their rules, it is bad business, though, and they will lose people's confidence.

I am pretty sure that trading standards won't care if a search engine produces bad results.

Yeah, me too, but I thought i'd bring it to their attention. I think rightmove is much less a search engine though and more an advertising medium so i'm hoping they might do something based on that. If they say within 10 miles, it should be 10 miles.

I cant believe their web designers didnt do arithmetic at school, just in case they are reading this then have a look at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distance

distance = square_root( power(x2-x1, 2) + power(y2-y1, 2) );

Maybe they are using a formula something more like:

distance = square_root( power(x2-x1, 2) + power(y2-y1, 2) ) * (how desperate EAs are to sell);

As: (how desperate EAs are to sell) increases, so do the distances.

Post code data with longitude and latitude values is freely available if you only compare on the first chunk (eg. EX2). If you want the second chunk you're supposed to be paying Royal Mail or whoever a chunk for the data. If they're only calculating distances from the free chunk then it's possible in parts of the country to see tens of miles of inaccuracies. That could explain why their searches are wider than you'd hope.

Distance formulas off longitude and latitude data isn't quite as simple as the normal distance calculation in a flat plane either, but it should be a close enough approximation for small distances.

Post code data with longitude and latitude values is freely available if you only compare on the first chunk (eg. EX2). If you want the second chunk you're supposed to be paying Royal Mail or whoever a chunk for the data. If they're only calculating distances from the free chunk then it's possible in parts of the country to see tens of miles of inaccuracies. That could explain why their searches are wider than you'd hope.

I could believe that it's a simple calculation error, except that the error has got bigger over the last 4 months as the market has slowed down !!!!!

The trading standards people got back to me. Said Rightmove were doing no wrong but they do have a relationship with them, would have a look at what they are doing and would have a word with them.

I think the EA websites/rightmove need strict regulation.

Write to your MPs and complain.

They wouldnt be allowed to do what they want if it was on TV and since rightmove really is the website of choice for any house hunter now they have a duty to offer an un(less)-biased service. Untimately people buying and selling houses fund their business.