House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
chichi

Homeless At Heathrow

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8...00.html?cnn=yes

Not only is the place crawling with homeless people ... but "and a woman clutching a duty free bag who insisted she was waiting for a flight, only to whisper when police were out of earshot: "I can't afford electricity; it's warm here; please, let me stay.""

It's a sign of the times. Energy bills too high so people looking for ways of keeping warm. Are the libraries full of people sat by the radiators?

I am not surprised by this. I use Birmingham airport regularly and am always perplexed by the number of people using the concourse who are obviously NOT passengers. Apart form the habit of some families who insist on accompanying travellers until the last moment, I think it is a real security risk that you can get as far as the Customs posts and some 10 yards from the X-Ray machines without a ticket, passport, id or any security check.

To be cynical for a moment <_< , perhaps the authorities are happy for travellers to feel a little uncomfortable 'this' side of the X-Ray checks so that passengers will check it as soon as possible and are therefore be a captive, buying herd in the departure lounge.

Edited for inability to spell cynical the first time round.

Edited by Stourbridge Baggie

we're on the way to becoming a third world country.

Is the USA classed as 3rd world? One one of my trips there, I thought it a good idea :lol: to use Greyhound Buses for a while; all the left luggage lockers were full 'cos they were used by homeless people. (This was 5 years ago I admit). They also refused to give out change to enable you to use one because of a fear of opening their till, I presume.

On the way?...thought we`re already there

UK is definitely the sick man of Europe

we're not far off.... :lol:

you see it happening in shopping centers alot...bullring, west brom..

mainly OP's...they even take their sandwiches...

Is the USA classed as 3rd world? One one of my trips there, I thought it a good idea :lol: to use Greyhound Buses for a while; all the left luggage lockers were full 'cos they were used by homeless people. (This was 5 years ago I admit). They also refused to give out change to enable you to use one because of a fear of opening their till, I presume.

I would only think things are worse in the US now....and will continue to

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8...00.html?cnn=yes

Not only is the place crawling with homeless people ... but "and a woman clutching a duty free bag who insisted she was waiting for a flight, only to whisper when police were out of earshot: "I can't afford electricity; it's warm here; please, let me stay.""

It's a sign of the times. Energy bills too high so people looking for ways of keeping warm. Are the libraries full of people sat by the radiators?

Actually; I can sort of related to this.

I've been off work for a couple of weeks studying.

Because the flat is so poorly insulated and has no central heating,

I've been spending alot of the time on the train.

Take the books and just do laps.

It's warm; it's got a table and powerpoints.

Sorted.

How about having the 'Big Issue' as the inflight mag to warm up for the trip through the airport. :rolleyes:

So things have changed a bit since the 90s?

;)

“People say "Iraq had the fourth largest army in the world". Yeah, maybe, but you know what, after the first 3 largest armies, there's a REAL big f..king drop-off. The Hare Krishnas are the 5th largest army in the world, and they've already got all our airports.”

quote : Bill Hicks

http://thinkexist.com/quotation/people_say..._in/339385.html

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

Visiting a patient in Leeds Infirmary last week saw a couple of old people sleeping in the doorway at the side of heaters :angry:

You should have taken them home with you to warm up.

I think it is a real security risk that you can get as far as the Customs posts and some 10 yards from the X-Ray machines without a ticket, passport, id or any security check.

Oh yeah, it's outrageous. Passport control and x-ray machines are an obvious target, they really ought to make sure that everyone who reaches these points has had their ID checked and bags scanned.