House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest_chris c-t_*

Queues Outside Hbos?

Wondered if anyone else saw any queues; or if it was just a fluke..

If HBOS are anything like Barclays, the retail counters open at 9.30am.

There is always a queue outside a Barclays before opening - mainly small business people paying cheques in, etc.

We've just had a long weekend so some people will want to talk to their bankers.

I don't foresee a run on HBOS. I thought I detected over the weekend sentiment turning from out and out pessimism to a more optimistically cautious view - even if it is misguided.

There is a run on HBOS shares at the moment:

HBOS (LSE:HBOS.L)

Last Trade: 529.00 p

Trade Time: 9:17AM

Change: 55.25 (11.66%)

Prev Close: 473.75

Open: 517.00

Bid: 528.50

Ask: 529.00

1y Target Est: 707.25p

Up almost 12%! Can't keep the shares from flying off the shelves. A miraculous turn-around following secret meetings over the weekend with Broon who will be guaranteeing all their bad debt as the Fed is doing for the US Shys. With no risk attached to buying shares in the miracle banks why not?

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

You too?!!! Queues outside Birmingham HBOS this morning.

Anyone else seen any?

The last thing we need is another Northern Rock.

We have just had two bank holidays where we are led to believe that the banks switch off their computers and servers and are unable to make payments into your account.

Up almost 12%! Can't keep the shares from flying off the shelves. A miraculous turn-around following secret meetings over the weekend with Broon who will be guaranteeing all their bad debt as the Fed is doing for the US Shys. With no risk attached to buying shares in the miracle banks why not?

Suckers' rally. <_<

I saw one of the VPs of Lehman Brothers punching an unwell, old, tied up donkey in the face this morning, whilst shouting "Organic farming is evil!" and urinating on a baby.

Edited by DissipatedYouthIsValuable

This was most likely the 'bank holiday' effect. Just queued for 15 mins in an RBS branch to pay in a cheque. They only had 2 out of 4 counters open - the bank holidays take them by surprise every time :rolleyes:

This was most likely the 'bank holiday' effect. Just queued for 15 mins in an RBS branch to pay in a cheque. They only had 2 out of 4 counters open - the bank holidays take them by surprise every time :rolleyes:

Agreed. Incredibly lunch times still take banks by suprise too.

You too?!!! Queues outside Birmingham HBOS this morning.

Anyone else seen any?

The last thing we need is another Northern Rock.

...yep...same at Tescos ...some people in the queue for ciggies before they are hidden under the counter..... <_<

Wondered if anyone else saw any queues; or if it was just a fluke..

If they were all grey haired then perhaps it could turn into one. If they were a mix of ages I wouldn't worry.

Isn't Tuesday benefit payments day ?

Shouldn't the OP be reported to the FSA for initiating a rumour that could prove negative to HBOS shares?

On the other hand, perhaps this one just doesn't have legs and therefore hasn't spread....which makes one wonder why last week's rumour DID spread...

Shouldn't the OP be reported to the FSA for initiating a rumour that could prove negative to HBOS shares?

On the other hand, perhaps this one just doesn't have legs and therefore hasn't spread....which makes one wonder why last week's rumour DID spread...

I've just been into HBOS Canary Wharf branch. Dead. No queue's.

I've just been into HBOS Canary Wharf branch. Dead. No queue's.

Same in Parrot St branch.

We have about a quarter of our savings in HBOS. I don't have any immediate plans to withdraw them, although I'm less likely to add to them at the moment (assuming there's any spare money to save, that is!).

Sometimes this place feels more like bankqueue.co.uk than anything else.

Are we going to add this to list of common topics amongst gold, favourite canned food and who cgnao is?

:lol:

I've currently got about three quarters of my savings in HBOS, so quit with the rumours until next week when I've swtiched at least some of it to Nationwide <_<

I don't actually believe for a moment they'd let a bank the size of HBOS go down, and if they did, I'm sure they'd protect savers, and the system itself - salary payments, VISA etc - but I figure having savings spread around more is a good idea anyway. And I'm well aware that it's people thinking and doing exactly that which could cause problems. But what can you do? You have to try and protect yourself, but no bank could withstand a run.

I've currently got about three quarters of my savings in HBOS, so quit with the rumours until next week when I've swtiched at least some of it to Nationwide <_<

Fergie, You didnt run fast enough, my money (about 80k) is out as of last Thursday, electronic transfers are a great thing !!!! I couldnt be bothered queing with the sheeple :lol:

Yeah, but you have to set up an account to electronically transfer it to, and over a bank holiday weekend, that takes a nerve-wrackingly long time!

Yeah, but you have to set up an account to electronically transfer it to, and over a bank holiday weekend, that takes a nerve-wrackingly long time!

I've already got 22 bank/building society accounts!!! Most of them set up to transfer funds electronically. I was a Scout as a child, be prepared.

I've decided on Nationwide as my "safe" account, for now. Anyone any thoughts on that ?