House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
the end is a bit nigher

Blue Tuesday

Guest grumpy-old-man
A modest increase if you're lucky!

could go up, could go down, could stay the same......perhaps I should get a job as an IFA, I mean the majority just guess anyways, don't they ? :D

ps - for those that don't know what IFA stands for, it means Independant Financial Ar$e. ;)

edited- or Institute of Financial Ar$es

Edited by grumpy-old-man

A modest increase if you're lucky!

I was going to comment that I expect an increase tomorrow - based upon the Dow today - but it will leave me feeling blue.

Down, down, down - please. The longer asset prices defy gravity - the longer this mess will persist.

Just wait till the bad data starts hitting home next week...

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/econ...p;dist=hplatest

WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) -- The Federal Reserve's extraordinary actions over the past two weeks seems to have cheered up financial markets, but the real economy is still in the doldrums.

The monthly economic data to be released over the next week will fill in the holes for February, and are likely to confirm recession-like weakness in the major sectors of the economy: consumers, housing and manufacturing.

Sit back and watch meltdown!

Edited by gruffydd

could go up, could go down, could stay the same......perhaps I should get a job as an IFA, I mean the majority just guess anyways, don't they ? :D

If anyone knew for certain what was going to happen then it wouldn't be a market, would it?

And Gold has tanked by 10% in days... crash speed ;-)

Anyone would think there has been a massive effort to make everything look ok just when things were getting realy bad. ;)

Guest grumpy-old-man
If anyone knew for certain what was going to happen then it wouldn't be a market, would it?

too true, 100% correct, guaranteed in fact. :D

I suppose there always has to be 'something' to invest in, even in the darkest days there will always be money to be made at someones expense.

The DOW stopped being a market back in August, possibly as early as this time last year.

Guest grumpy-old-man
Anyone would think there has been a massive effort to make everything look ok just when things were getting realy bad. ;)

it's so bl00dy obvious isn't it confounded ?

those huge last hour rises in the DOW, restoring the huge all day drops in under an hour is laughable.....it's not even remotely subtle.

I have seen the DOW finish at 0.01 % in the GREEN so many times laetely, after a huge inter-day drop. ;)

it's so bl00dy obvious isn't it confounded ?

those huge last hour rises in the DOW, restoring the huge all day drops in under an hour is laughable.....it's not even remotely subtle.

I have seen the DOW finish at 0.01 % in the GREEN so many times laetely, after a huge inter-day drop. ;)

yep, billions of dollars of trading all manipulated but never appearing on anyone's books - remarkable!

Only a complete idiot who knew nothing about Gold trading would think that

As you know I was not just talking about gold, a picture is being painted to suggest we have reached the bottom, if enough people buy it then they have a chance of saving us from what would be a horrific meltdown. Which if they do I will buy into stocks shortly because I can't think of a stronger buying signal than a market that can only loose 15% of it's value during 7 months of the worst financial crisis in 70 years.

I mostly agree with your views on market directions but we differ as to the reasons why!

Just send me £314 and I shall supply you with my great new ebook on how to make money from day trading.

Hahaha. Ah well..... should be lots of BTL'ers to give me lots of business hahaha :rolleyes:

yep, billions of dollars of trading all manipulated but never appearing on anyone's books - remarkable!

I've been thinking about this... Hypothetically, lets assume I'm a massive investor with interests in a basket of equities... which I don't want to deteriorate in value - but for which I need to reduce exposure....

I think one strategy would be to make big trades at below market price for almost all of the day - then, towards the close of trade - when I've finished selling for the day - buy back a small proportion of the shares I've been selling - but at a higher price.

Is there anything to stop this being used to skew the closing price?

Guest muttley
I've been thinking about this... Hypothetically, lets assume I'm a massive investor with interests in a basket of equities... which I don't want to deteriorate in value - but for which I need to reduce exposure....

I think one strategy would be to make big trades at below market price for almost all of the day - then, towards the close of trade - when I've finished selling for the day - buy back a small proportion of the shares I've been selling - but at a higher price.

You would soon become a small investor.

Nothing to stop the tactic, although why would you regard the closing price as being skewed if that was the last price traded at? Opening and closing prices are arbitary time-dependent values and nothing else.

The other minor problem is that the US market in particular is traded worldwide and your basket would have absolutely no effect on the market. The conspiracy theorists on here don't quite grasp this.