House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
gruffydd

France And Uk To Press Banks To Admit Scale Of Bad Debts

France and UK to press banks over debt

An Anglo-French summit on Thursday will put renewed pressure on banks to agree to “full and immediate disclosure” of the scale of their bad debts, reflecting heightened political concerns about instability in financial markets.

See FT.com for full info

An Anglo-French summit on Thursday will put renewed pressure on banks to agree to “full and immediate disclosure” of the scale of their bad debts, reflecting heightened political concerns about instability in financial markets.

See FT.com for full info

Crikey, they can't think that's a good idea can they?

See FT.com for full info

Shares in the Tippex company rallied on this news.

I wrote this in another thread here and asked the question, no ones answered yet..

why would that be a good idea?...

I would think surely that would create panic and fast withdraws from certain banks if we knew the scale of those debts..

yes or no

I wrote this in another thread here and asked the question, no ones answered yet..

I would think surely that would create panic and fast withdraws from certain banks if we knew the scale of those debts..

yes or no

And you think it's better to have the whole banking system operating in the shadows?

Confidence cannot be restored until people know where the banks stand.

And yes, I for one have already withdrawn my money.

And you think it's better to have the whole banking system operating in the shadows?

Confidence cannot be restored until people know where the banks stand.

And yes, I for one have already withdrawn my money.

I like the idea of it being open...but I wouldn't have thought brown would have wanted it that way..(there must be something in it for him) trying to look the good guy?

you say restore confidence but I don't think we'd ever be given the true figures anyway...trust went out the window long ago.

Personaly I hope every person takes all money out of all banks I want nothing more than to see this country on it's knees.

Edited by Nicolaj

This is political posturing. If financial catastrophe occurrs Brown wants to be able to say this was an international crisis and I your leader and statesman did all I could to avoid a crisis. If it turns out for the best he wants to have been seen to do something that enables him to take the credit.

The banks that are bust would be seen to be bust. The banks that are sound would be seen to be sound. With the winners and losers identified, we could pick up the pieces and move on (the losers are still losers, even if their books go unexamined).

At the moment we're like the man who's been shot and doesn't dare lift his shirt to see how bad it is ... and you never know, perhaps it's just a flesh wound :lol:

The banks that are bust would be seen to be bust. The banks that are sound would be seen to be sound. With the winners and losers identified, we could pick up the pieces and move on (the losers are still losers, even if their books go unexamined).

At the moment we're like the man who's been shot and doesn't dare lift his shirt to see how bad it is ... and you never know, perhaps it's just a flesh wound :lol:

You knew it was coming.

:P:P:P

Guest Shedfish

i bl00dy dare them to.... posturing like you say.

i just don't buy all this crap about HBOS, and the way the FSA have distracted everyone from the real issue.

HBOS just raised 750M at a punitive rate, and they just went to the BoE and begged. it's obvious from this article here that they've been sailing close to the wind - so come on, lets have some real transparency.

Actually I was expecting the gut-shot scene from Reservoir Dogs :lol::ph34r:

Much too long and certainly not as amusing.

I like the idea of it being open...but I wouldn't have thought brown would have wanted it that way..(there must be something in it for him) trying to look the good guy?

you say restore confidence but I don't think we'd ever be given the true figures anyway...trust went out the window long ago.

Personaly I hope every person takes all money out of all banks I want nothing more than to see this country on it's knees.

I think this is a spin exercise: before governments can bail out the banks they have to know how much they need! So, rather than say "The banks are going to tell us how much bad debt they have, and then we will spend hundreds of billions of your tax pounds buying it all off them at rates far above that which could currently be achieved in the open market" they are taking a hard line stance of "pressuring" the banks for a "full and immediate disclosure". Doesn't that sound better? :angry:

There's always the direct action approach. Email your bank and ask them (and threaten to pull your money out if they don't fess up). And then pull your cash out if they don't.

It wouldn't take more than a few thousand people - plus some press to achieve the desired result.

Guest vicmac64

Sarkosy or whatever the puppets name is (he doens't register on my list of important people) or the other scottish imbicile piece of putty (you know the one the idiot usurper that gave our freedoms away to the eu without a referendum!!!

Yeah you do -just look out for the one that truly looks like Gollum (and acts like him too!)

A despicable creature by looks and by nature.

Guest vicmac64

Pray tell us Gollum - why yours hands are clean?

Gollum the master of NO MORE BOOM AND BUST?