House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fed Up

Fig Roll Shortage

I was in Sainsbury's a couple of hours ago and in the biccie section is a notice saying that there is a national fig roll shortage. They are doing their best to ration them by charging 95p per 200g packet.

Is this the start of a recession fuelled by biscuit hyperinflation? Is there a genuine fig shortage or could it just be something due to speculation on the futures market?

Is it all fig rolls? Or just the brand name ones? I rather like the Sainsburys own brand ones, and as per this website they have the highest proportion of figgy middle...

There's no Fig Roll shortage round my way - or at least there wasn't last week. Anzac biscuits though, were sold out last week.

We have a shortage of 750g boxes of Shreddies - it's been months that they've (Sainsburys) had a sign up announcing that due to manufacturing problems there will only be 500g boxes available - obviously the deal where it worked out cheaper to buy them in 500g packs has stopped since they introduced that little sign...

'Twas the brand name fig rolls I was referring to.

Don't know about Shreddies but Sainsbury's own-brand Malties went up from £1.07 to £1.34 for a 750g box last week. I might have to change my diet :)

Don't know about Shreddies but Sainsbury's own-brand Malties went up from £1.07 to £1.34 for a 750g box last week. I might have to change my diet :)

Mr W&S is a Shreddies snob - he tried the Malties, (in an attempt to reduce the number of boxes of knitted squares I have to buy in one go, and to counteract the price change of switching to smaller boxes) but he could taste the difference. We're on muesli now - I think oats are currently less price sensitive - although having said that, Tesco Value oats have gone up quite a bit recently - so maybe people are changing their dietary habits for cost purposes, and causing problems elsewhere.

I was in Sainsbury's a couple of hours ago and in the biccie section is a notice saying that there is a national fig roll shortage. They are doing their best to ration them by charging 95p per 200g packet.

Is this the start of a recession fuelled by biscuit hyperinflation? Is there a genuine fig shortage or could it just be something due to speculation on the futures market?

The finest fig rolls money can buy (Jacobs) are on sale locally (Somerfield) at 55p buy one get one free. Ample stocks. No shortage. Don't buy sainsburys own brand because they are second rate just like all their own brand products. Sainsbury do not sell Jacobs because they highlight how poor their own fig rolls are. Its more likely that sainsbury are unable to pay their supplier. Are they linked to HBOS ?