House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Its time to buy

Gutted - Unexpected £800 Bill To Fix Car

I m fuming.

Known fault on car by big company. No recall. Just doing my own research has revealed 100s if not 1000s of people with the same problem.

Car starts to misfire, starts to cut out, and toxic fume warning light comes on.

Having read this - a thread with 252 posts; 80% of the thread mostly about the same "toxic fume / ignition coil" fault which may cost upto £800 to sort out.

http://www.carsurvey.org/viewmorecomments_...w_25613_16.html

Great an unexpected bill setting me months back on my FTB deposit.... :angry:

Additionally I ll have to take the train, which puts extra 2hrs into my working day :angry:

WAIT!!!

That's not the problem with it!

Trust me I know.

The problem is the covers for the ECU come loose and rub against the wiring loom causing it to earth. This brings on the MIL light and causes stalling and cut-outs.

It can be fixed with insulation tape and cable ties.

This is what is wrong with society. Too many people's lives can be thrown into chaos by unexpected out of pocket expenses. High living costs and low wages leave people with little to know contingency in the event of a rain day.

These things happen when you eventully buy a house this has to be taken into account as it could happen then or the roof could blow off there has to be slack in your expendenture to cover this thats why so many current home owners are in trouble if something happens or an interest rise or reset happens they have no slack to cover this

I did not even click on your link to guess it was a Renault Clio, quite a few guys on the Cliosport forum have had this problem and it was like Dom said, the metal ecu cover comes loose and rubs through the wiring loom, the easy fix is to remove the cover and leave it off and repair any wiring that has been rubbed through.

Out of interest, what did the garage say was going to cost £800 to fix it?.

Guest Mr Parry
What's this got to do with house prices?

Not my fault you bought a French car. Perhaps next time you will buy something a little less chic and a lot more reliable. Look on the bright side - it could have been a Citroen.

http://www.whatcar.co.uk/news-special-report.aspx?NA=220291#

Ahhhummm!!! Nothing wrong with Citroen's. Mines' a '97 Xantia diesel, 106,000 on clock now, bought 4 years ago at auction with 65,000 one owner, mint for £800. Spent very little on it. Still goes like new.

Highly recommended for people who want to go from A to B in comfort very cheaply.

. . . and no this has nothing to do with house prices but there are other things to talk about.

I m fuming.

Known fault on car by big company. No recall. Just doing my own research has revealed 100s if not 1000s of people with the same problem.

Car starts to misfire, starts to cut out, and toxic fume warning light comes on.

Having read this - a thread with 252 posts; 80% of the thread mostly about the same "toxic fume / ignition coil" fault which may cost upto £800 to sort out.

http://www.carsurvey.org/viewmorecomments_...w_25613_16.html

Great an unexpected bill setting me months back on my FTB deposit.... :angry:

Additionally I ll have to take the train, which puts extra 2hrs into my working day :angry:

If £800 is going to set you back months on buying a house, I think you should have a serious rethink.

You should be saving at least £800pcm if you are thinking of buying a house, if you cannot save 800pcm then you will not be in a position to buy.