House Price Crash Forum

Gunwharf Packed Bank Holiday Easter Weekend

HOLA441

Packed with shoppers - odd shops like Hush puppies closing down, but otherwise was heaving. Whether lots of money spent is unknown.

You see the odd people who have obvisouly spent tooooo much on themselves on clothes, make up, shoes, make up to achieve the perfect look.

The restaurants seemed empty and few people were sitting outside as it was chilly. £8.95 for fish and chips seem a bit dear at Tootsies. And also £8.80 for two soft drinks and a large popcorn in the cinema seemed steep. :o

The French market seemed to do good business selling take away food, bread products, and savouries.

Nothing to do but visit shopping centres on a bank holiday weekend and not spend money - guilty as charged.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
Guest Bart of Darkness
Steep is not the word... why are people so stupid as to pay those prices?!

I rarely buy anything on a trip to the cinema. I tend to have a meal before or after, I can easily manage 2 hours between meals without fainting.

Excuse my ignorance of shopping malls but where exactly is this gunwharf?

Portsmouth

HOLA448
Guest X-QUORK

Christ, a shopping centre in Portsmouth...there are few places I'd deem less attractive to be on Easter weekend...maybe Fallujah.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
Christ, a shopping centre in Portsmouth...there are few places I'd deem less attractive to be on Easter weekend...maybe Fallujah.

Portsmouth is a f*cking shithole. It`s got to be one of the worst centres of chav `culture` on the south coast.

Gunwharf is sh*te - the only good shop there is the Ecco shoe outlet: everything else is crap. The cinema is overpriced and full of chavs who keep yapping on their mobiles while the film is showing. It`s utter sh*te.

The attitude of most of the staff approaches borderline insolent, and everything costs too much. The `Water Margin` `Chinese` restaurant is always full of bloaters thanks to the `all you can eat` buffet (which is sh*te).

Portsmouth historic dockyard is sh*te too - they used to make things there, but now it`s been reduced to a theme park; the Spinnaker tower is also sh*te.

There isn`t much good to say about Portsmouth really, except that it`s sh*te.

As for French markets - only really appeals to the middle classes of Palmerston Road (which is again pretty sh*te, but not as sh*te as Albert Road). However, Southsea is a lot less sh*te than the rest of Portsmouth! :lol: Don`t go to the Chicago Rock cafe as that`s sh*te too.

Looking forward to leaving soon ;)

Edited by southsea13

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
Portsmouth is a f*cking shithole. It`s got to be one of the worst centres of chav `culture` on the south coast.

Gunwharf is sh*te - the only good shop there is the Ecco shoe outlet: everything else is crap. The cinema is overpriced and full of chavs who keep yapping on their mobiles while the film is showing. It`s utter sh*te.

The attitude of most of the staff approaches borderline insolent, and everything costs too much. The `Water Margin` `Chinese` restaurant is always full of bloaters thanks to the `all you can eat` buffet (which is sh*te).

Portsmouth historic dockyard is sh*te too - they used to make things there, but now it`s been reduced to a theme park; the Spinnaker tower is also sh*te.

There isn`t much good to say about Portsmouth really, except that it`s sh*te.

As for French markets - only really appeals to the middle classes of Palmerston Road (which is again pretty sh*te, but not as sh*te as Albert Road). However, Southsea is a lot less sh*te than the rest of Portsmouth! :lol: Don`t go to the Chicago Rock cafe as that`s sh*te too.

Looking forward to leaving soon ;)

That's almost "Trainspotting-esque", beauty.

Still, there's one good thing to say about Portsmouth; at least it's not Plymouth.

HOLA4415
. why are people so stupid as to pay those prices?!

Most people are born naturally stupid .

I rarely buy anything on a trip to the cinema.

I rarely go to the cinema 1984 was the last time , took some bird to see Mad Max , film was ok she was hopeless.....

HOLA4416
I take it no one saw Mr Spinker - a chap dressed up in a cartoon like Spinker tower welcomig visitors to up the tower. Never seen him before!

Probably a nonce on day release.

Jesus, I`m so glad I didn`t go anywhere near Gunwharf `f*cking sh*ite` Quays today. :rolleyes:

Re. Spinnaker Tower - if the wind is blowing in the wrong direction the external lift cannot be operated! :lol: I can just imagine a lift full of hapless day trippers soaring off on a gust of wind into the stratosphere (where they`ll die of oxygen deprivation!) MUAHAHHAHAHAHAHARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR :huh::blink::unsure::ph34r::rolleyes::lol:

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
Most people are born naturally stupid .

I rarely go to the cinema 1984 was the last time , took some bird to see Mad Max , film was ok she was hopeless.....

I`ve been banned from the cinema in Gunwharf Quays - I went with my wife to watch `Alexander`, but some f*cking - no doubt `corporate hospitality` or `sociology` or even `Politics with International Studies` - students kept yipping on their mobiles; some were actually trying to film the film on their phone-cams! :rolleyes:

I was in front of them and it was just too much; I asked them to be quiet please as I was `watching the film`. The surly response shot out in the dark: `So am I`. I replied `Then watch the f*cking film and shut up!` A few glares of disapproval from the rest of the sheeple in the cinema were shot my way. To make matters worse, the students started playing with their ringtones to wind me up.

I waited until the film was over, then, following them I removed a fire extinguisher from its housing and hosed them down!

Security came, police were called: no charges but `don`t come back`.

As I`ve got a DVD player and TV I can watch films from the privacy of my own home these days without having to put up with smug little s*its f*cking up my evening out. In fact, I hardly ever go out any more as eating out is overpriced (and I know that one of the staff at Pizza Hut Palmerston Rd branch used to w*nk in the toilets before handling food!) The only pub I can think of that`s worth going to is The Old House at Home in Locksway Road, Milton (they get quite a lot of staff meeting from St James pyschiatric facility, so my rather cynical sense of humour is rarely taken with any offence!) ;):rolleyes::lol:

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

From Sky News at the start of the last Iraq conflict:

"Umm Qasr is a city similar to Southampton," UK defence minister Geoff Hoon said in The Commons yesterday.

"He's either never been to Southampton, or he's never been to Umm Qasr" says a British Squaddie patrolling Umm Qasr.

Another soldier added: "There's no beer, no prostitutes and people are shooting at us. It's more like Portsmouth."

HOLA4422
and I know that one of the staff at Pizza Hut Palmerston Rd branch used to w*nk in the toilets before handling food!) The only pub I can think of that`s worth going to is The Old House at Home in Locksway Road, Milton (they get quite a lot of staff meeting from St James pyschiatric facility

:lol::blink: Thanx for the warnings , i shall steer well clear of Pompey . Oh BTW i did read your little rant over on the renting board last week , very amusing it was to ;)

Edited by grey shark

HOLA4423
I´m surprised anyone goes to the cinema at all these days. Most American films seem to be available on the net pretty quickly. I saw the Bourne Ultimatum on the net before it was even released in Spain.

Yeah but the picture quality is usually shite. I go to the cinema late at night or during day. The cinema is usually empty. I take my own goodies as I won't pay cinema prices for munchies. Pay the normal rate and sit in the "deluxe" seats.

HOLA4424
From Sky News at the start of the last Iraq conflict:

"Umm Qasr is a city similar to Southampton," UK defence minister Geoff Hoon said in The Commons yesterday.

"He's either never been to Southampton, or he's never been to Umm Qasr" says a British Squaddie patrolling Umm Qasr.

Another soldier added: "There's no beer, no prostitutes and people are shooting at us. It's more like Portsmouth."

You beat me to it! I was reading this thread and was reminded of that classic comment from the Iraq invasion's first day or so.

HOLA4425