House Price Crash Forum

Fed's Rescue Halted A Derivatives Chernobyl

narco

HOLA441
HOLA442

The similarities with the Chernobyl metaphor are even greater. The desperate and brave efforts of the nuclear workers, who risked or even sacrificed their lives, saved the former USSR and possibly Europe from a much greater disaster if the melted down reactor had burned through the concrete floor and dropped into the large amount of water that had accumulated in a chamber beneath.

HOLA443
The similarities with the Chernobyl metaphor are even greater.

I'm not sure that handing out billions of dollars of other people's money is quite comparable to dying of radiation to save your neighbours.

HOLA444
I'm not sure that handing out billions of dollars of other people's money is quite comparable to dying of radiation to save your neighbours.

Agreed, but I meant the similarity of the metaphors, I wasn't comparing the actual human suffering involved. I was referring to the fact that Chernobyl, like the banking crisis, could have been much worse without intervention.

Edited by Sofa Spud

HOLA445
Agreed, but I meant the similarity of the metaphors, I wasn't comparing the actual human suffering involved. I was referring to the fact that Chernobyl, like the banking crisis, could have been much worse without intervention.

The derivatives time bomb will go off in another 3-6 months. This is not the end of it.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
"Yet the hottest document flying around the City last week was a paper by Barclays Capital probing what might happen in a counterparty default".

"It is not for bedtime reading".

is this it?

https://ecommerce.barcap.com/research/user/...%20Feb%2008.pdf

Must be - the bold Ambrose seems to have lifted a lot of his terminology and conclusions from the final section.