House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
dumb-tabloid reader

Anyone Interested In The Japan Housing Bubble

Guest muttley

Do you mean this one?

The easily obtainable credit that had helped create and engorge the real estate bubble continued to be a problem for several years to come, and as late as 1997, banks were still making loans that had a low guarantee of being repaid. Correcting the credit problem became even more difficult as the government began to subsidize failing banks and businesses, creating many "zombie businesses".

That chart looks nasty:

25% HPI over 25 years. I hope those BTLers are in it for the looooong term or at least appreciate the risk

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Economi...ces20050615.jpg

And this from OP's article, no idea it was that bad over there

By 2004, prime "A" property in Tokyo's financial districts were less than 1/100th of their peak

Ouch!

Incidentally, on Friday the Japanese authorities released the figures for land prices in Japan. In the year to Jan 1st, they rose again for the second year in a row after 17 years of falling.

Residential land prices grew an average of 1.3% last year, while commercial property climbed an average of 3.8%, the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism said Monday in its annual land price report. It was the first time that average prices in both segments have risen for two years in a row since 1991, when the nation's so-called "bubble economy" burst.

The survey also showed the overall rise was led by the three biggest metropolitan areas - Tokyo, Osaka, Nagoya - as it was in 2006. Their residential land prices rose an average 4.3%, while those in regional areas fell 1.8%. Commercial land prices in the big cities also climbed 10.4%, but those in other areas slid 1.4%.

Source: Nikkei.

This year, though, ain't looking so rosy.

this is a SHIT scenario.

this means if your an STR or FTB you have a long protracted wait for housing to correct.

i prefer the big recession quick collapse now.

id be in my 50s-60s by the time prices reached affordable levels ?

this is a SHIT scenario.

this means if your an STR or FTB you have a long protracted wait for housing to correct.

:unsure::(:lol:

this is a SHIT scenario.

in that situation I will never own a house, as renting will be much cheaper over this period, and I will invest elsewhere in order to achieve a comfortable retirement.

in that situation I will never own a house, as renting will be much cheaper over this period, and I will invest elsewhere in order to achieve a comfortable retirement.

Easy really! :lol:

A home is somewhere you live.

An investment is something you hope to gain rewards from and has inherent risk.

"The value of invstments can go down as well as up."

Your home shouldn't be your investment. Invest in value added opportunities but be aware you can lose your shirt. Don't lose your home. If it's cheaper to rent, then rent! Let your landlord take the risk.