Does Anyone Own Gold Coins ?

HOLA441
  • Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
sure, that's what I did, you can just order from the UK and ship to your UK address. As a first time customer you then just have to transfer the money into their account.

Gentlemen,

Don't forget about buying some Silver 1 Oz coins.

There is much work on the net about how the price of Silver is 'set to explode upwards' mainly due to a real shortage of silver being mined and some form of manipulation in the market.

Anyway, at about 4 Quid an Oz........it's a low risk punt and I have started buy-up some nice Silver coins in addition to my Gold collection.

Cheers.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
I have been looking at buying gold coins from Baird and Co online. This may seem like a silly question but why do they ask you if you are a student?  <_<  Could anyone help?

Are you trying to open an account ?

If you just want to buy investment gold then select what you want and proceed to the checkout. No account is needed.

HOLA447

Thanks - worked it out now and ordered my first gold coin :D

I still can't understand why - when trying to open and account - they want to know if you are a student and want the details of your course leader and name of university and course?

HOLA448
Guest absolutezero

Why have lots of countries been selling off their gold reserves?

Do they know the value is about to drop?

Maybe a NASA satellite has detected a huge gold reserve somewhere and it's about to be dug up. That would cause the value to drop.

I know I'm being paranoid, but why have these countries been selling like mad?

HOLA449
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA4410
Why have lots of countries been selling off their gold reserves?

Do they know the value is about to drop?

Maybe a NASA satellite has detected a huge gold reserve somewhere and it's about to be dug up.  That would cause the value to drop.

I know I'm being paranoid, but why have these countries been selling like mad?

In addition, in the '70s, when gold was rising sharply in price, central banks, after having been heavy sellers at $35/oz., sold little or none at higher prices. Central bankers are no different than the momentum players; if the price is rising, they are more likely to be buyers than sellers.

http://www.gata.org/RBCReport.html

http://www.sprott.com/pdf/reasons_to_own_gold.pdf

They have been selling gold because they are momentum players or are trying to surpress the gold price. Recall when the paper money system fell apart in the early 70s the "London Gold Pool" was formed to control the price. So take advantage of the surpressed price before control is lost.

HOLA4411
  • 4 weeks later...
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
  • 1 month later...
HOLA4414
Guest Bart of Darkness

Having read through this thread a couple of times I'm wondering if anyone has bought coins over the counter recently?

I like the idea of not leaving a paper trail, which would be impossible buying over the Internet or by mail order.

Chard (Blackpool) who I believe did not previously request identification for over the counter purchases, now say on their website that:

Identification (Except for Export Sales)

We are legally obliged to obtain and retain identification records for every purchaser.

Baird & Co. have been mentioned as not requesting ID for buyers calling into their shop, has anybody bought from them recently who can confirm this?

HOLA4415

Having read through this thread a couple of times I'm wondering if anyone has bought coins over the counter recently?

I like the idea of not leaving a paper trail, which would be impossible buying over the Internet or by mail order.

Chard (Blackpool) who I believe did not previously request identification for over the counter purchases, now say on their website that:

We are legally obliged to obtain and retain identification records for every purchaser.

Baird & Co. have been mentioned as not requesting ID for buyers calling into their shop, has anybody bought from them recently who can confirm this?

Bought gold and mining shares 3 years ago

Look at Peter Hamros POG.L and see what mining shares can do!

GG is worth a look too

Not investment advice but we all owe a GREAT debt to Mr Greenspan

gold is on its 17 year high, but I suppose I don't need to tell anyone as those who are on this thread probably know anyway.

glad I found this site many months ago, since it made me aware that buying gold these days is a good investment.... :rolleyes:

A very good investment, but it hasnt really started to move yet!

HOLA4416

Ditto!

Hail the catalysts

Gold has been good but it hasnt started to move yet

Buying the metal? Look up Rodin or find him at Gold-Eagle forum

Mines too - Peter Hambros POG.L, a lovely chart to see and even better if, like me, you own a few.

Good Luck!

HOLA4417

Funny thing about POG. I know absolutely nothing about shares but I had some money spare 6/7 months ago

and read up a bit and everyone talked very highly of Peter Hambro as a person and how he ran his business so I bought some. They were expensive though. I sold up at £8.15 and it gave me a tidy profit. Probably should have kept some but there you go :)

HOLA4418

managed to pick up the last 3 sovereigns from weightoncoin.com still priced at £64. Now they start from £66 :rolleyes:

Going from my excel sheet:

Average cost towards the end of 2004 £57

Average cost now £64, about 12% higher.

Also, a 1oz ingot from bairds was £239.25 on 14/02/05, now it's £282.75, which I make to be 18% up in 9 months.

HOLA4419

I don't understand the attraction for buying physical gold - unless you really are predicting financial meltdown - in which case, fair enough :D

The leverage argument for buying gold shares seems pretty convincing to me. Plus of course you can trade in and out easily. Even little ole me has made some good returns on gold shares - better than the rise in the gold price.

Here's a good book btw: Link

HOLA4420

I don't understand the attraction for buying physical gold - unless you really are predicting financial meltdown - in which case, fair enough :D

The only advantage is the interest of having the physical gold, that is, satisfying your curiosity, if you have never held gold bullion (which I had not). In addition, the coins/bars are quite beautiful and make a more satisfying kind of investment than a bit of paper or so many abstract grammes held on the Internet.

I think there may be a reduced risk in holding the physical bullion as against an Internet account. The Internet could go t1ts-up one day, due to a supervirus, or sunspots, or whatever. You just don't know what will happen with a go-go technology.

There is some risk of financial collapse IF we get a full-blown Peak Oil hit in the next few years. The financial system is precarious as it is, due to excess spewing out of credit to all and sundry, which is still going on. If the industrialised economies had to face oil prices leaping about from $50-$150/barrel then that would be that, you'd see a whole string of apparently safe banks rolling four hoofs to the sky as their cash flow failed. Whether physical gold would be an extra advantage over Egold in this case is hard to say. A good touring bicycle and the ability to use it safely would be the most precious personal attribute I can think of.

"Learn to ride a bicycle; you will not regret it." - Mark Twain.

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA4421

chards indeed do ask for identity, ive bought and sold some to them, there only 2 minutes from me.but there not the best price and there not the best to sell to either.

try www.onlinecoins.co.uk there are some great dealers there, im a regular customer of many of them

HOLA4422

To answer the question:

1) gold hidden under your mattress is difficult to trace for tax purposes,

2) there are no fees associated with it, (Brown removed VAT in 2000, possibly to level the playing field between foreign and domestic investors),

3) unit trusts such as Merryl Lynch Gold & General which invests mainly in gold mining stocks will not perform as well as the underlying gold because some investors take profits.

On a side-note: Anyone who posts charts to predict the future is an idiot.

Edited by Goldmember

HOLA4423

On a side-note: Anyone who posts charts to predict the future is an idiot.

What about Technical Analysis? Not that I have any expertise there, but many traders seem to use it and I assume they wouldn't do that if it did not, over the long term, grant a degree of benefit.

Edited by malco

• 1 month later...
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Krugers seems to be most popular in this thread. Is there any reason not to buy Britannias? I was thinking of getting one as a gift for someone but if it's not as good an investment for them I'd consider something else.

You'll pay a premium over spot for Britannias compared to a Kruger. Britannia is around 10% above spot, whereas Krugers around 5% - quite a difference.

I sometimes buy bullion grade sovereigns from a local dealer for spot price - he obviously pays well under spot for them, so still makes a tidy profit.

Regards,

crude