House Price Crash Forum
Realistbear

Nulab Database Hacked To Reveal Broon's Massive Tax Grab On Property

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml.../23/ntax123.xml

Secret council tax database penalises homes with a view

Patrick Hennessy and Ben Leapman
Last Updated: 2:05am GMT 23/03/2008
Millions of homes face higher council tax bills after being logged as having off-street parking or a pleasant view, The Sunday Telegraph can disclose.
Ministers have admitted that Government inspectors are building a
secret database
that will eventually cover all 23 million homes in England.
The revelations follow a week when council tax bills for 2008-09 have been landing on doormats all over the country. This week, the Government will confirm that some will have rises this year of up to 11 per cent, more than
four times the rate of inflation.
...../
Every home is being sized up, and every home improvement or sign of a nice neighbourhood is slowly being photographed, catalogued and taxed by Gordon Brown's inspectors.
"Families face soaring bills for the crime of living in a nice neighbourhood. Only Labour would think of taxing people for looking out of their windows."
.../

4 times the rate of inflation? That will be about 24% then.

Whatever Broon is doing in secret will come to light the more his economic miracle crumbles. His latest tax hike proposal is reminiscent of the window tax much hated in the Georgian period of our history.

I don't know about anyone else, but I think Broon has long passed his sell-by date.

Edited by Realistbear

Ministers have admitted that Government inspectors are building a secret database that will eventually cover all 23 million homes in England.

.../

"Families face soaring bills for the crime of living in a nice neighbourhood. Only Labour would think of taxing people for looking out of their windows."

Every home in Scotland has a beautiful view (except south-facing ones in the shires of Dumfries, Roxburgh and Berwick).

No tax hike for us, it would appear.

Another liberty successfully taken by the sweatysocks. Hoots!

(PS when is the penny going to drop, and youse englanders finally bin the Union?)

Every home in Scotland has a beautiful view (except south-facing ones in the shires of Dumfries, Roxburgh and Berwick).

No tax hike for us, it would appear.

Another liberty successfully taken by the sweatysocks. Hoots!

(PS when is the penny going to drop, and youse englanders finally bin the Union?)

Scotland will. I am reasonably sure, be exempt from these new taxes. Presumably because, as you say, many more homes enjoy views. The topography lends it self to it doncha know?

Scotland will. I am reasonably sure, be exempt from these new taxes. Presumably because, as you say, many more homes enjoy views. The topography lends it self to it doncha know?

Define "beautiful view". Heck I sometimes get to see the attractive woman at the back sunbathing topless in her back garden. :lol:

A local income tax instead of Coucil Tax has been one of the Liberal (SDP / Democrat) Party's policies for years. One of their few that sounds plausible since its based on ability to pay. Votes from pensioners any one?

However, I presume it means that you don't pay it if you don't work. It would have to subsidised in some way otherwise councils in high unemployment areas would run out of money pretty quick!

Define "beautiful view". Heck I sometimes get to see the attractive woman at the back sunbathing topless in her back garden. :lol:

I think you'd be quite justified in claiming a discount in 20-30 years time on account of depreciating assets.

My parents built a 3 bedroom bungalow with fantastic views in the south of Scotland, the council drone that assessed it stuck it in the second highest tax band so your cynicism is misplaced I'm afraid. <_<

A local income tax instead of Coucil Tax has been one of the Liberal (SDP / Democrat) Party's policies for years. One of their few that sounds plausible since its based on ability to pay. Votes from pensioners any one?

No way!

If I'm priced out and forced to house share, then I'm not paying more council tax

than a pensioner sitting on a million plus of real estate.

A local income tax will hit young workers really hard.

Part of the reason I can't afford to live on my own, is the council tax.

House sharing is the only way around it.

Point about free loading taken; but as a worker with no children,

what services am I actually using; getting the rubbish collected is about it.

More user pays charges might be a fairer way of doing it.

Given the history of government IT projects I would not worry too much about this. They will waste a lot of our money on it and it wont work. Buisness as usual for Zanulab.

When Maggie launched the Poll Tax there was mass demonstration. Why aren't there the protests against Council Tax? This is a ridiculous amount of money to have to pay out and the government should be contributing more so that the yearly rises are unnecessary. It is about time those elected spent tax payers money wisely and invested in Britain and the British people.

Guest mattsta1964
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml.../23/ntax123.xml

Secret council tax database penalises homes with a view

Patrick Hennessy and Ben Leapman
Last Updated: 2:05am GMT 23/03/2008
Millions of homes face higher council tax bills after being logged as having off-street parking or a pleasant view, The Sunday Telegraph can disclose.
Ministers have admitted that Government inspectors are building a
secret database
that will eventually cover all 23 million homes in England.
The revelations follow a week when council tax bills for 2008-09 have been landing on doormats all over the country. This week, the Government will confirm that some will have rises this year of up to 11 per cent, more than
four times the rate of inflation.
...../
Every home is being sized up, and every home improvement or sign of a nice neighbourhood is slowly being photographed, catalogued and taxed by Gordon Brown's inspectors.
.../

4 times the rate of inflation? That will be about 24% then.

Whatever Broon is doing in secret will come to light the more his economic miracle crumbles. His latest tax hike proposal is reminiscent of the window tax much hated in the Georgian period of our history.

I don't know about anyone else, but I think Broon has long passed his sell-by date.

This is gonna hit me both ways. I have my own driveway and a nice view

Fekkn fascists

Taxed for having a driveway and a nice view! You couldn't imagine this kind of this is possible in our country

When Maggie launched the Poll Tax there was mass demonstration. Why aren't there the protests against Council Tax?

Could well happen, the pips are being squeezed. I'd certainly be up for a coach trip down to the capital, a bit o sight seeing then a good old fashioned ruck with the police.

Government ministers are to next week repeal the freedom of information act as they cant keep a secret anyway.

Sheeple have seen through the normal security measure of denial.

Of course these changes are required to keep going the NuLab policy of taking from the poor to give to the very poor. If we weren't fighting pointless wars and spending so much on interest on Govt debt, we wouldn't have to tax as much.

Perhaps the entire indigenous population that don't speak Polish should now declare themselves as non dom, and refuse to pay any tax.

Guest happy?

...."Families face soaring bills for the crime of living in a nice neighbourhood. Only Labour would think of taxing people for looking out of their windows."

Am I the only person who spotted the delicious irony of a Tory politician making this claim? Any fule no the windows tax was introduced by the Tories in the 18C and there are still thousands of properties across England and Scotland which testify to this ludicrous tax. Mr Pickles is aptly named as well as ignorant.

There've been strongly denied rumours in the past about a wave of inspectors being got ready to have access to every home at any time. Ti take pictures of rooms and improvements. I'm surprised no one has thought it'd be cheaper to have spy cameras rather than send people round...

I have no problem with these proposals.

Tax under Labour needs to come down, not go up, that much is true. But if houses are fairly assessed as being worth more, then why not target them to pay more.

There were riots over the poll tax because the poll tax was designed to hit everyone equally regardless of ability to pay. These proposals are the opposite.

Either way, I think we need a change of Govt for at least one term.

I have no problem with these proposals.

Tax under Labour needs to come down, not go up, that much is true. But if houses are fairly assessed as being worth more, then why not target them to pay more.

Because half of the extra revenue raised will go to collecting the taxes and the assesment of such properties. It stinks big style. Tax should be simple. Down with this sort of thing.

Of course these changes are required to keep going the NuLab policy of taking from the poor to give to the very poor. If we weren't fighting pointless wars and spending so much on interest on Govt debt, we wouldn't have to tax as much.

You forgot to add using taxpayer money to prop up the financial system so that the rich elites can get their money out before it crashes. Nu Lab's whole strategy is about building an alliance between the very wealthy and the very poor to screw everyone else. Of course the latter are being conned as it is in the governments interests to ensure that they stay with their faces pressed in the dirt. Labour need the poor to stay dependent so they can farm their votes. If they were actually encouraged to become self reliant then they might start having inconvenient ideas of their own.

As for the Council Tax there is nothing intrinsically wrong with property taxes themselves. The problem is that this government have set up the system so that Councils always have to hike them more than inflation. As it is levied by local authorities central government are able to distance themselves from its consequences. It is also one of the many techniques such as hiding tax increases by non indexation of allowances, NIC hikes etc that politicians use so that they can claim the headline rate of income tax is low.

Edited by up2nogood

Guest happy?
You forgot to add using taxpayer money to prop up the financial system so that the rich elites can get their money out before it crashes. Nu Lab's whole strategy is about building an alliance between the very wealthy and the very poor to screw everyone else. Of course the latter are being conned as it is in the governments interests to ensure that they stay with their faces pressed in the dirt. Labour need the poor to stay dependent so they can farm their votes....

A strikingly sensible analysis with only one flaw - the poor don't vote. All politicians know this, elections are won and lost on the decisions of swing voters in marginal seats. This is why it's impossible to put a fag paper between the Tories and Labour on any issue which might lose such voters.

David Cameron's task is to convince such voters he can make a better fist of things without changing any of the fundamentals - these people read the Daily Mail and hate cyclists - hence his abject apologies after making the error of ignoring a set of rules designed to keep him off the road.