House Price Crash Forum
retiredandOK

Property Snake The Weakest Link

My neighbour is obsessed with the catastrophic fall in house prices, and pointed me to Property Snake to prove the point.

How reliable is this data? Look up the following link for a house in the centre of Slough (cente of the world?) which has experienced a 24% fall since July 2007:

http://propertysnake.co.uk/site/detail/4311735

I defy any of the learned experts (and my neighbour) to explain the changes here, other than mega *****-up

Its made up - no link to the real property.

It seemed like a good idea when it first started but after looking at the site once or twice I decided that the information was not reported correctly and was of little use.

better to use rightmove with the propertybee recorder addon in firefox www.property-tools.co.uk

When it first started, Property Snake was excellent. Moves by the likes of Rightmove to cripple it (by blocking access to their content) was what harmed the reliability - but removing much of the highest quality data.

Property Bee for Firefox is a much more reliable tool now, but with the downside that it is local to a user's computer.

A nice idea would be for someone to build an engine which can sew together the data from Property Bee's .csv files and produce a "bigger picture" of what's going on. However, that would require allowing people to upload .csv files and that would open the system up to abuse and manipulation.

To quote Sarah Kennedy, Bummocks!

I've given up on property snake (last updated on 14th March) and have started using property bee, however I am none the wiser as nothing at all in my area has been reduced in the last 3 months!