House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Prof

They Just Don`t Get It, Do They ?

They`re doing an article on how people aren`t moving up the property ladder so much.

It`s the same old cr*p about how it`s easy to move up when prices are rising. "Make money on your current house then move up" is the way to do it, apparently. Hang on a second, if your current house goes up in price, surely the one you aspire to will also have gone up. The VI being interviewed predicted that HPI will be flat for the next 12-18 months. :lol:

Yes mate, of course it will.

Those ladder rungs might just be getting closer together, won`t that make it easier to move up ?

They`re doing an article on how people aren`t moving up the property ladder so much.

It`s the same old cr*p about how it`s easy to move up when prices are rising. "Make money on your current house then move up" is the way to do it, apparently. Hang on a second, if your current house goes up in price, surely the one you aspire to will also have gone up. The VI being interviewed predicted that HPI will be flat for the next 12-18 months. :lol:

Those ladder rungs might just be getting closer together, won`t that make it easier to move up ?

there is no ladder anymore for next 10 years. you will buy anything now for 100k. In 10 years you will sell it for ............................. 100k ...

no ladder ...... everybody is now FTB !!!!

this changes the rules of engagement as well ...

Its now a property shelf!!! The mortgage guy said 3 months ago their were 11000 mortgage products now their are 5000 what will their be left in another 3 months 2000 ?

there is no ladder anymore for next 10 years. you will buy anything now for 100k. In 10 years you will sell it for ............................. 100k ...

no ladder ...... everybody is now FTB !!!!

this changes the rules of engagement as well ...

Little do the sheeple know it, but this can only be good news for us all. Well, good news if you are willing to work for a living, bad for those who expect their home to provide an income.

I wonder what the government will do with stamp duty/inheritence tax if prices reduce/stay flat. I expect the bands to be changed, or more stealth taxes elsewhere.

the ladder is wage inflation, the higher the wage inflation the faster people move up... simple really the ladder has been broken for most people since 2001 as moving up has involved taking on more debt without seeing the wage increases

I missed the bbc breakfast 'ladder' bit, but laughed earlier when they were doing an article on the apparently never ending re-used plastic bag debate.

The bbc presenter said that they had contacted Friends of the Earth & Greenpeace who did not want to be interviewed. They said (I paraphrase) that reusing plastic bags was not a priority and that people should be taking more important action such as cutting down the use of their car.

It was great to hear the 'minor news as distraction from the real issues' debate aired.

When they revisited the subject an hour later, it appeared that the sheepish presenter was trying to spin the story with the F.o.e. perspective spun into the beebs as a news item without qiving F.o.e's name. :rolleyes:

Perhaps when the beeb contact Financial Planner next he should say: 'due to the several months of house price falls, it now a done deal and the uk shall suffer the consequences. We are now only interested in discussing the wider credit crunch and the possibility of severe recession, depression and the consequences of 'out of control' capitalism'.

:)

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

I don't often engage in the bash the BBC threads. But this time they really deserve it. I was just furious with the interviewer - called Charlie something I think.

The BBC news is morphing into a cross between a news program and a lifestyle chat show. I'm paying a licence fee, and I expect that when they get some dippy mortgage broker on the program, that they will ask him some penetrating questions.

The mortgage broker seemed to be saying that transactions were slowing, prices would be static, and that first time buyers would find it harder to make the deposits. They then talked the difficulty about moving up to larger houses without house price inflation to help (how does it ever help, it always makes the next one even more expensive?). Said people would need to rely on either inheritance, salary increase or doing up the houses.

And the useless BBC interviewer didn't say: "But surely prices will fall if people can't afford the asking prices?", or "the data for the last few months shows falls, so why should people buy now?". Or indeed anything useful at all.

I really thought that the producers of that show (the BBC morning news program), ought to be for the jump.

End rant.

Yes, it was pretty pathetic. I think they`re trying to send out the message "a lot of you know that things are bad, out there in propertyland, but we`ll try and put some sort of positive spin on it".

They`ve had their gain, but don`t want to feel the pain.

Edited by Prof

The guy at the end of the interview pretty much let the cat out of the bag.

He said "there was not enough supply at the right price", you don't have to be a genius to deduce that therefore the prices aren't right!

It's plain to see, with examples like this, the BBC is state media controlled television and the interviews are clearly vetted and selected to herd the sheep through the hoops.

the ladder is wage inflation, the higher the wage inflation the faster people move up... simple really the ladder has been broken for most people since 2001 as moving up has involved taking on more debt without seeing the wage increases

Bang on the money Moose, date included.