House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TalkingSense

It's Those Running Away Middle Class Types

Watching programs like Grand Designs and "It's Not Easy Being Green" illustrate the way that middle class people run away to the country to make themselves "toxin free" or "low carb" and to hell with everyone else.

Radio 4 had a politician on today about how gardens being designated as brownfield was encouraging developers to turn 2 houses in one village into 71 dwellings. When whole swathes of nearby Birmingham lie in ruins.

Also where are all the failing schools to be found ? Normally in areas where the middle classes can just about scrape together the cash to put little James into private school.

Where are all the holiday homes ? In nice little coastal towns because the middle classes can afford to go there every weekend and leave behind the rot in their home neighbourhood that they only use to sleep in for a few hours during week nights....

See a pattern here ? Any ideas ...?

Maybe a really deep recession will keep these guys home long enough to be a part of where they live again.

I remember watching Moby on MTV cribs. He showed the filmcrew his fridge which was 'the most energy efficient fridge in the world'. Puchline - he'd had it flown to New York all the way from Sweden. You've got to laugh! And don't get me started on electric cars - when there's 50 year old VW beetles still on the road!

There are also the potential future middle class types who would have stayed in their communities and contributed to them if they had a chance. They have all had to move out of their communities to 'up-and-coming' areas because of house prices. Behind them they leave the chavs and the running away middle classes, as described above.

What's wrong with people trying to find a better life for themselves and their children? Nobody has a social duty to stay living in one place.

Edited by Sofa Spud

I remember watching Moby on MTV cribs. He showed the filmcrew his fridge which was 'the most energy efficient fridge in the world'. Puchline - he'd had it flown to New York all the way from Sweden. You've got to laugh! And don't get me started on electric cars - when there's 50 year old VW beetles still on the road!

It's BS. That pr1ck flies all over the world.

I remember an MTV save the planet show back in 1991, featuring piles of over privileged gushing celebrities. And where are we today?

Ironically it's only the wealthy who can afford the premium green energy demands. Those fvckers really believe their action within a vacuum will change anything or set a good example, we laugh.

if you imagine every exterior posh garden colour B&Q floodlight thats ever been sold is on right this second.

illuminating the exteriors of every leafy house with a green ambient glow. very pretty. but pointless.

dont get me started on patio heaters.

What's wrong with people trying to find a better life for themselves and their children? Nobody has a social duty to stay living in one place.

Give yourself a slap on the wrist and get with the programme.

It is the moral duty of everyone who is gifted either financialy, educationally, politically, indeed any attribute that constitutes being gifted, to disguise the gift they have and behave like the rest of the morons that inhabit the nation.

Radio 4 had a politician on today about how gardens being designated as brownfield was encouraging developers to turn 2 houses in one village into 71 dwellings. When whole swathes of nearby Birmingham lie in ruins.

this is a major misery in berkshire, too. the local councils refuse permission to scrotes that want to build 20 flats on their bacjk gardens - but they just appeal to the government and it goes through as "brownfield" development.

but, with luck, hpc will stop this trend

if you imagine every exterior posh garden colour B&Q floodlight thats ever been sold is on right this second.

illuminating the exteriors of every leafy house with a green ambient glow. very pretty. but pointless.

dont get me started on patio heaters.

Ive just been looking at fire pits they burn old logs and that.

I was thinking of getting the gardener to drop off stuff he'd have to dump maybe get the butler to chop them into manageable sizes

this is a major misery in berkshire, too. the local councils refuse permission to scrotes that want to build 20 flats on their bacjk gardens - but they just appeal to the government and it goes through as "brownfield" development.

but, with luck, hpc will stop this trend

That is what I am seeing, any permission to build high density homes or supermarkets on gardens, old factories, school playing fields, petrol stations or any other spare patch of land with access, in already built up areas is over turned on appeal to the government.....no thought on the impact on the local roads, schools, hospitals etc....total madness.

That is what I am seeing, any permission to build high density homes or supermarkets on gardens, old factories, school playing fields, petrol stations or any other spare patch of land with access, in already built up areas is over turned on appeal to the government.....no thought on the impact on the local roads, schools, hospitals etc....total madness.

The option would be to build in the countryside, in my view I would rather keep the countryside as it is and make better use of the mess we have created in our cities over the past decades.

Why sit in a dimly lit house attempting to "save the planet" if half of the named planet burns down every second year in forest fires so fierce they can be seen from space?

Joke. Politics. Scum.

Edited by refusnik

Isn't the key here in the "already developed?" At least the general infrastructure - roads, water, electricity- is already there, so the impact is less than it would be plonking a development down in the middle of Nowheresville, which forces yet more commuting because there's no public transport & no jobs nearby?

Obviously there's balance - I can't find much nostalgia for an ex-petrol station (though I'd be a bit leary of the pollution aspect), but not, I agree playing fields.

Gardens are an interesting one - We've been looking for a house with a decent bit of garden for the last 9 months (obviously, that's not the ONLY requirement or we'd have found something by now!) but all the suitable houses have had half their garden chopped off to build a new house (usually a bungalow) on. When we've rejected them and told the estate agent why, we've got deep sighs and " that's what everyone has been saying about that house".

It looks as if taking the opportunity to make a swift buck can turn round and bite you back later. I do remember Sarah Beeny warning developer wannabees not to take too much of the garden with extensions, as a house of a certain size / price bracket needs a commensurate garden.

The option would be to build in the countryside, in my view I would rather keep the countryside as it is and make better use of the mess we have created in our cities over the past decades.

Or maybe build new satellite (new) towns creating new facilities, roads, public transport, infastructure and jobs. It doesn't have to be spralled all over the countryside....it can be contained. But I woud imagine the answer to that will be, there is no money in the pot, or not in my back yard. :(

The problem is there is simply too many people on this planet, People should be able to have enough land to live sustainable healthy lives,

Edited by stew007

Or maybe build new satellite (new) towns creating new facilities, roads, public transport, infastructure and jobs. It doesn't have to be spralled all over the countryside....it can be contained. But I woud imagine the answer to that will be, there is no money in the pot, or not in my back yard. :(

We are an island nation of very small size off the coast of Western Europe. Our Government have opened our doors and invited the masses of Europe and the wider world to come live here.

Address the real problem, and understand that although it would appear at first sight we have some land to build on, we dont have the resources to sustain new building and the many millions that would flock to it.

If we have a dry summer, we find ourselves without water, the last thing we need is more building further exacerbating the problem of scarce resources.

Guest KingCharles1st

Or maybe just pull apart the whole planning system/con as is currently is- and start thinking about PEOPLE as opposed to POCKETS

We are an island nation of very small size off the coast of Western Europe. Our Government have opened our doors and invited the masses of Europe and the wider world to come live here.

Address the real problem, and understand that although it would appear at first sight we have some land to build on, we dont have the resources to sustain new building and the many millions that would flock to it.

If we have a dry summer, we find ourselves without water, the last thing we need is more building further exacerbating the problem of scarce resources.

Well if those responsible, (although I very much doubt anyone will take ownership of responsibility) do not wake up and start looking further into the future than the end of their noses, the quailty of life for the majority of the people in this country will deteriorate even further....the rich can look at the mess made from the outside.

The problem is there is simply too many people on this planet, People should be able to have enough land to live sustainable healthy lives,

I didnt see many people when I flew over Siberia a couple of weeks ago on a business trip to Japan..

Another 2.3 Billion more people to come

They took all the trees

And put them in a tree museum

And they charged all the people

A dollar and a half to see 'em

Don't it always seem to go

That you don't know what you've got

Till it's gone

They paved paradise

And they put up a parking lot

cue acoustic base

Well if those responsible, (although I very much doubt anyone will take ownership of responsibility) do not wake up and start looking further into the future than the end of their noses, the quailty of life for the majority of the people in this country will deteriorate even further....the rich can look at the mess made from the outside.

I think your politics are swayed not by facts, but by popular thinking.

The Rich are not responsible, the Government are responsible. The Rich didnt issue 750,000 National Insurance Numbers last year for people outside the EU to come and live and work in the UK.

The UK is full up, and its about time someone have the common sense to make that point without being labelled a racist, and the Government do something about it.

I am not suggesting gas chambers, town stocks, public hangings, I am suggesting its time to work out how many people this country can sustain, and then implement a policy to rectify the mess we are in.

I didnt see many people when I flew over Siberia a couple of weeks ago on a business trip to Japan..

you wouldn't from that height :lol:

All environmentalism is pointless. It's totally incompatible with our economy and our way of life. While politicians pontificate and make token gestures, someone else is undoing all their work.

Only last month, Anglesey Aluminium stopped sending their output to Austria by rail and switched to road. Why? Because Eastern European hauliers can do the same job for less than the cost of the train's fuel alone. I dread to think how many "green" measures that this single example has just wiped out.

It`s all going to be okay very soon. The Eastern europeans will move on when recession hits, the middle class wanabes will just shut up and realise how financialy screwed they are, the price of houses will hit bargain basement prices, and there will be empty newbuilds all over the place, a lot of them will be demolished in the next few years. Hopefully lessons will be learned and some form of decent government evolves (the sheeple will have to demand this though, and they will when it goes pear shaped) I noticed Brown used the end of PMQ`s last time for a property ramping session, claiming that there is a desperate need for affordable housing, anything to keep the myth alive. It seems no politician has the balls to challenge him on this lie yet? Has Vince Cable done so? It just shows how sensitive house prices are as an issue affecting public opinion and voting opinion? Sheeple must see the empty "excecutive" city homes all over the country? Why doesn`t the penny drop? Putting "SOLD" in the window of an obviously unsold house is the stupidest thing I have seen, the only thing that will prove it has sold is a set of curtains, and the VI`s might be reduced to faking habitation of property soon?