House Price Crash Forum
mr gambino

Bringing Gold Through Customs.

I have some 1oz gold eagles that are at my cousins in the USA.My mum is over soon to visit and to avoid a large postage cost i have asked her to bring the coins back with her.She is quite worried and i really could not answer her concerns.The concerns are,should i put them in a suitcase or hand luggage,if in hand luggage are they acceptable,can you bring gold into the country, will i pay ant import duty ot vat,and what about insurance.

Any help would be appreciated.

This may be a good place to look: http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalW...tyType=document.

Section 8 seems particularly appropriate.

EDIT: By the way, web searches really are your friends! All I did was type 'hm customs excise' into Google, then 'gold' into the search box on HMRC's website! ;)

Edited by Ologhai Jones

This may be a good place to look: http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalW...tyType=document.

Section 8 seems particularly appropriate.

EDIT: By the way, web searches really are your friends! All I did was type 'hm customs excise' into Google, then 'gold' into the search box on HMRC's website! ;)

[/quot

Thanks, section 10.6 may also be of help as well. I know i could probably with time do my own research but i find goverment/crown web sites hard to understand the wording, i am just apoor stupid Plumber! I was hoping someone had done this or something similar,i dont want the old girl to do bird.

I have some 1oz gold eagles that are at my cousins in the USA.My mum is over soon to visit and to avoid a large postage cost i have asked her to bring the coins back with her.She is quite worried and i really could not answer her concerns.The concerns are,should i put them in a suitcase or hand luggage,if in hand luggage are they acceptable,can you bring gold into the country, will i pay ant import duty ot vat,and what about insurance.

DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT CHECKING THEM IN. Carry them either on your person or in hand baggage. Bags go missing ALL THE TIME.

There is no import duty payable on either investment or legal tender gold coins and there is no longer any VAT payable either. Providing you do not bring in too many at one time and bring them through as hand luggage, then Eagles are not a problem as they are both legal tender and investment. If you bring in too many then there might be suspicion of money laundering and the obvious drug connection :ph34r: The number really depends on your personal circumstances, if you are on the dole and your mum is bringing in 10 Eagles for you it could be dodgy, if you are a millionaire and bring in a couple of hundred they would wave you through.

There is import duty and VAT on finished gold items, jewellery, beyond the personal gift allowance and a stroppy Customs official could claim it is a gift. Your mother, if asked by Customs & Excise, should say that they are not a gift as they were purchased by you from the UK and she was transporting them on your behalf.

Gold coins can set off the later type of metal detectors so put them through the hand luggage x-ray machine. I have taken both gold and silver though Customs and I have only been stopped once in Kuala Lumpur where when my bag opened by the official I got waved straight into the First Class lounge instead of cattle :rolleyes:

Forget insurance if your Mum is carrying them, the cost would be too high, but you can post them. Use a courier from the states for security, and insure them using their insurance.