House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

scarlets79

Religion Linked To..... Threads

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7302609.stm

Religion 'linked to happy life'

Belief may make us more contended

A belief in God could lead to a more contented life, research suggests.

Given the amount of time you spend on here getting annoyed at the rest of us for not believing in your brand of fairy tale, it doesn't seem to have made you more content.

You never did answer that question about Mary's consent when God took advantage of her...

I think you must have missed this the first time so I'll ask again...

You never did answer that question about Mary's consent when God took advantage of her...

you've got a sick mind

so, despite the atheist lies, it appears that faith both makes people and families happy and adds at least £2bn to our economy

you've got a sick mind

so, despite the atheist lies, it appears that faith both makes people and families happy and adds at least £2bn to our economy

Why don't you just say that she did consent and provide proof from the Bible for it?

'Sall I'm asking you to do.

Guest Skint Academic
I enjoy destroying atheist myths.

Have you really destroyed 'atheist myths'? Or do you just think that you have? Have you convinced anyone?

No.

In which case, why bother?

Have you really destroyed 'atheist myths'? Or do you just think that you have? Have you convinced anyone?

No.

In which case, why bother?

Scarlets using the word "myth" to attack atheism. Priceless! :lol:

Guest Skint Academic

Of course Scarlets doesn't actually want to tell us that any faith will make you happier, only the xtian faith will. Scarlets would be mortified if we all went off and joined other religions instead.

Yep. Irony - like Coppery isn't it? Maybe sardonic or sarcastic - etc.....

People who believe in absolutes may be happier. They are also more likely to commit attrocities and perpetrate evil acts.

Having an open mind might be a better bet at different times though.

Anyway, this Jesus bloke, did he faint and wasn't he taken off the cross after 3 hours (instead of usual 3 days) and he did a runner to Kashmir - where he may have spent some time as a teenager and picked up lots of influences that he then brought back to Palestine to upset the local conservatives and religious fundamentalists?

Anyway everyone knows that the Flying Spaghetti Monster will lead us into salvation using the TRUE Jedi Force.

Or something.

Of course Scarlets doesn't actually want to tell us that any faith will make you happier, only the xtian faith will. Scarlets would be mortified if we all went off and joined other religions instead.

Funny, because until I read The God Delusion I've always been slightly doubtful about sky-fairies. Now that all of that nonsense is gone from my head once and for all, and I have a better understanding as to how such a ridiculous set of myths came into being and have been perpetuated well past their sell-by date, I can honestly say I've never been happier!

Edit: Added missing word

Funny, because until I read The God Delusion I've always been slightly doubtful about sky-fairies. Now that all of that nonsense is gone from my head once and for all, and I have a better understanding as to how such a ridiculous set of myths came into being and have been perpetuated well past their sell-by date, I can honestly say I've never been happier!

Edit: Added missing word

The penny dropped when I had to start lying about Father Xmas - I then understood how religions get started and even sustained (be good or someone will punish, be good reward). Simple really.

Guest Bart of Darkness
Belief may make us more contended

A belief in God could lead to a more contented life, research suggests.

May? Could? Possibly, perhaps, mayhap religion makes us happier.

A little vague isn't it?

Or religious people are deluded simpletons.

aren't you glad you live in a country that contains such people, who contribute £2bn to our economy and are happy and aim to live by the teachings of Christ

Guest Bart of Darkness
aren't you glad you live in a country that contains such people, who contribute £2bn to our economy and are happy and aim to live by the teachings of Christ

Sorry scarlets, but 2 billion is a drop in the ocean these days. Look how much money it cost to "rescue" Northern Rock.

Er... no.

Bunch of demented believers of fairy tales? Definitely not.

I believe in REAL things, not stories.

A few years ago I lived in a poor part of town. I couldn't believe that one born again power seeker was generating more election literature than ALL of the other parties put together.

Then realised that both US and UK had religious nutters running them and this was when I realised that the wave of truth was being wiped out by deluded believers.

Evolve please.

Er... no.

Bunch of demented believers of fairy tales? Definitely not.

it's not fairy tales, too bad for you

Evolve please.

are you suggesting that religious people are "less evolved" than atheists?

who else do you consider less evolved than you?

how should less evolved people be dealt with- is it ok for a more evolved creature (as you believe you are) to stop then from living, or breeding?

Sorry scarlets, but 2 billion is a drop in the ocean these days. Look how much money it cost to "rescue" Northern Rock.

it's more than atheist groups contribute

Guest Bart of Darkness
it's more than atheist groups contribute

How do you know?

it's not fairy tales, too bad for you

are you suggesting that religious people are "less evolved" than atheists?

who else do you consider less evolved than you?

how should less evolved people be dealt with- is it ok for a more evolved creature (as you believe you are) to stop then from living, or breeding?

Yes, it is a fairy tale or morality story or whatever, but it's not true.

Am I suggesting that religious people are less evolved?...

Good question. I guess that I am. I don't believe in something that isn't true. I don't cower when I see an eclipse of the sun. I don't use religion as a way to form some kind of tribal group out of fear or in hope of securing power.

I think for myself and am ready to listen to sensible arguments. Like most thinking people I have thought about religious beliefs, read up on arguments pro and con and I have decided. I didn't pick the same religion as my family and then rationalised that that particular one must be the ONE right religion, dismissing the hundreds of others in a puff of mistaken belief.

Who else do I consider less evolved.... George Bush (alcoholic drug addict who could only change by addiction to a meme).

Tony Blair who hears voices...?

Bin Laden who murders people by proxy.

Donald Rumsfeld who bullied better men into accepting a plan which was patently wrong.

Ian Paisley who stirred up trouble that then begat the 'Troubles'.

Adolf Hitler who rarely listened to reason and was steeped in Catholic hatred of Jews.

Stalin - who trained as a priest and then saw a better way to power.

Oh and all the muppets who pay a 10% tithe to a power mad local priest.

How should less evolved people be dealt with? Excluded from power would be fine. Talked out of some of their nastier traits. Both can be achieved by rational argument.

Yes, it is a fairy tale or morality story or whatever, but it's not true.

that's a faith position

Am I suggesting that religious people are less evolved?...

Good question. I guess that I am. I don't believe in something that isn't true. I don't cower when I see an eclipse of the sun. I don't use religion as a way to form some kind of tribal group out of fear or in hope of securing power.

I think for myself and am ready to listen to sensible arguments. Like most thinking people I have thought about religious beliefs, read up on arguments pro and con and I have decided. I didn't pick the same religion as my family and then rationalised that that particular one must be the ONE right religion, dismissing the hundreds of others in a puff of mistaken belief.

Who else do I consider less evolved.... George Bush (alcoholic drug addict who could only change by addiction to a meme).

Tony Blair who hears voices...?

Bin Laden who murders people by proxy.

Donald Rumsfeld who bullied better men into accepting a plan which was patently wrong.

Ian Paisley who stirred up trouble that then begat the 'Troubles'.

Adolf Hitler who rarely listened to reason and was steeped in Catholic hatred of Jews.

Stalin - who trained as a priest and then saw a better way to power.

Oh and all the muppets who pay a 10% tithe to a power mad local priest.

How should less evolved people be dealt with? Excluded from power would be fine. Talked out of some of their nastier traits. Both can be achieved by rational argument.

all those men who you arrogantly consider "less evolved" have found their way into positions of power that you never will. Guess you're not bright enough. Maybe you're the one who's not good enough to survive and climb up the food chain into a position of power. Given your views on things, I'm quite glad. I mean if you were so much more evolved as you think you are, then you would eclipse the achievements and power of those men. You won't. Get real sunshine, atheism may fool you into beleiveing that everyone else is wrong and that you're more clever because you're an atheist but you are being conned big time into a huge delusion.

I don't believe in something that isn't true. I don't cower when I see an eclipse of the sun. I don't use religion as a way to form some kind of tribal group out of fear or in hope of securing power.

you don't know it isn't true, where's your evidence?

you have strange ideas about people who are into religion, you've been brainwashed by Dawkins, poor thing