House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
grey shark

The Cash Machine That Kept Paying Out Double

Wonder if the owner of the ATM will write to everyone who withdrew money saying "as long as you take out a mortgage with the double-bubble we won't ask for it back"?! :lol:

Guest happy?
Wonder if the owner of the ATM will write to everyone who withdrew money saying "as long as you take out a mortgage with the double-bubble we won't ask for it back"?! :lol:

If a bank's value can drop 20% in an hour's trading I'm only surprised that all cash machines haven't already been emptied. Given the panic/volatility we've seen recently it can only be a matter of time. What's the betting some cash machine somewhere will be emptied by normal trading over the long bank holiday weekend and by Wednesday the business will be belly-up because of the resulting self-fulfilling panic?

It'll be interesting to see if the bank chases them ... I wonder what would happen if a machine malfunctioned and underpaid?

Guest happy?
It'll be interesting to see if the bank chases them ... I wonder what would happen if a machine malfunctioned and underpaid?

I'm guessing the machine owner/operator will have to foot the bill for the time being. Unless they've some sort of insurance policy to cover such eventualities they could be sizeably out of pocket.

Anyone who got more cash than they're entitled to is legally required to repay it and each one of them would be traceable. Civil law suits possibly?

People are so thick, whatever made them think it couldn't be traced back to them?

It's obviously unethical to draw out money anticipating that you will receive double the amount but how can the bank possibly prove the amounts received were double the amounts stated on the bank statements.

Surely the evidence is only circumstantial :unsure: (except for the guy named in the article - he can expect a call :lol: )

The banks write off thousands every day due to cards being cloned so surely the amount in question is negligible?

Legally interesting. If a client asked for £20 and their bank deducted £20 from their account, the bank does not have an issue with the client. I think that if the company that operates the machines has a direct claim against the client, but each claim would have to be directly claimed from the client. I doubt that they will have the power to charge the extra directly to the clients' bank accounts.

This is an expensive and time consuming business and they will not have a 100% recovery rate.