House Price Crash Forum
TheCountOfNowhere

Mse: There Will Not Be A Crash

I love the idiots on MSE:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showth...631#post9485631

There will not be a crash

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am getting a little fed up with HPC threads and doom and gloom.

I agree we are ending a bull run but I suspect that the fears are eScalated by the fast access to news online and forums which sends people into a blind panic and sets their expectations low. These forums now encourage people to make heavil reduced offers and sellers who are anxious and believe in a HPC are selling low, compounding the problem. The HPC were are seeing (in reduced terms) in my opionion is being generated by news and consensus.

If we look at our landscape, we are an island. It isnt going to get bigger and we have a shortage. Since we cant access more land, keep tight control on greenfield sites and have a need for housing, demand still outstrips supply.

Looking on rightmove in my search, all I can see are the same old houses for sale, overpriced or poor locations. The market isnt teaming with gorgeous properties and certainly in my search, I discounted 20 properties per 1 offered.

In addition, I dont realistically think mortgage lenders will be lending 80+ if they see a 40-50% crash. The risk is too huge.

Therefore my opinion is that if your on the ladder keep moving, if you are a first time buyer,prepare to stay in that first home for 5 or so years.

Looks like an EA has learned how to log onto a forum :lol:

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

Exactly mate, and the guy that wrote that article seems a little deluded. Yes, because Japan is such a "large" island also where there is so much space and land isnt at a premium, and they didnt suffer one of the most monumental property crashes in history. :o

Guest Shedfish
The HPC were are seeing (in reduced terms) in my opionion is being generated by news and consensus.

two of the prime causes of a bull run, too. just in the opposite direction.

..and that's why there will be..

I'm sure we would all like to join together and, from the comfort of our life boats, wish the author of that rant the very best on their way down to the ocean floor.

Edited by nmarks

Guest Shedfish

i know, why don't i just jump in and get a lifetime IO mortgage on a 50% overpriced house and spend the rest of my days rueing the worst possible financial decision available..

just to keep him happy

If we look at our landscape, we are an island. It isnt going to get bigger and we have a shortage. Since we cant access more land, keep tight control on greenfield sites and have a need for housing, demand still outstrips supply.

Perhaps he should read the This is Money article: Unwanted flats legacy of buy-to-let boom posted elsewhere on this forum..

It is estimated that there are around 15,000 unoccupied new-build apartments in the city (Liverpool). Other research has suggested that 35% of the apartments in the centre are unoccupied. Criticism has also been directed towards the quality of some of the new developments, thrown up with an eye to a quick, massive profit.

But the underlying problem is that there is simply too much stock.

That Island argument really gets my goat.

Every country has borders, so short of invading another country (pretty much impossible in the 21st century) every country is effectively a contained Island. In fact Islands have more theoretical future cope for reclaiming land from the sea whereas landlocked countries have no such opportunity.

Looking on rightmove in my search, all I can see are the same old houses for sale, overpriced or poor locations. The market isnt teaming with gorgeous properties and certainly in my search, I discounted 20 properties per 1 offered.

Yup, that sounds like a terrible shortage alright.

Edited by Fergie

Sounds a bit like the idiots who were telling us to buy Northern Rock shares on the same website... Quite what they think is going to keep up house prices now is beyond me.

Skyhooks! :lol:

"Won't be a crash" - what planet are these morons living on?

Just doing my property research for the week (I know, I'm sad!) and found the following for new build flats:

Mortgagees in possession:

35 Pier Road, Erith, Kent, DA8 1TB offer received £100,000 (originally purchased July 05 for £200,000!!!)

105 Pier Road, Erith, Kent, DA8 1TB offer received £100,000 (originally purchased July 05 for £200,000!!!)

I can't decide whose the bigger idiot - paying £200k in the first place or paying £100k now! Erith is a SHITE hole!

Other property gems:

9 Grasshaven Way, THAMESMEAD! SE28 8TH mortgagees in possession offer of £200,000

originally purchased Oct 2006 for £230,000

34 Empire Walk, Greenhithe mortgagees in possession offer of £179,950

originally purchased June 05 for £214,995

Both are new build flats in chav areas.

Wonder how long it will be before ambulance-chasing lawyers start suggesting that repossessed homeowners (sorry, renting from the bank!) should sue the developer!

Exactly mate, and the guy that wrote that article seems a little deluded. Yes, because Japan is such a "large" island also where there is so much space and land isnt at a premium, and they didnt suffer one of the most monumental property crashes in history. :o

Please excuse the ignorance of a newbie I have been trying to find our more about what happened in Japan. Did Japan have a housing shortage at the time of their crash? I know they are very densely populated, but was there an actual shortage at the time?

I've been reading what I can find about their crash online, but none of the articles I have found so far have talked about what was happening with demand and supply at the time.