House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
greenalien

Unwanted Flats Legacy Of Buy-to-let Boom

Link to thisismoney.co.uk article

People thought they were going to make some easy money. But the blip has happened very quickly and now a lot of people have found themselves caught in a financial vice. Repossessions are rising and we are seeing a sometimes terrifying drop in price at the subsequent auctions.
What amazes the experts about these people is how few of them have done their homework before plunging in.

fools...money...etc

Link to thisismoney.co.uk article

People thought they were going to make some easy money. But the blip has happened very quickly and now a lot of people have found themselves caught in a financial vice. Repossessions are rising and we are seeing a sometimes terrifying drop in price at the subsequent auctions.

What amazes the experts about these people is how few of them have done their homework before plunging in.

fools...money...etc

ARS3HOLES

thx: some choice quotes: The Ipswich apt:

"When it was first sold in June 2006, it went for £268,000. " Well, someone made from it.

and:

"...a lot of dinner party peer pressure to follow suit and get into buy-to-let. Your friends are making a mint - why shouldn't you? "

I always make important financial decisions after listening to fellow guests' chat at dinner.

I mean, its the only way! :)

"...a lot of dinner party peer pressure to follow suit and get into buy-to-let. Your friends are making a mint - why shouldn't you? "

I always make important financial decisions after listening to fellow guests' chat at dinner.

......it's the best contra-indicator that there is. :lol:

Edited by scott666

thx: some choice quotes: The Ipswich apt:

"When it was first sold in June 2006, it went for £268,000. " Well, someone made from it.

and:

Its the lack of common sense that gets me. Paid £268k for a flat in Ipswich. Whats the average salary there? Same in Leicester. There was a puff piece by the Telegraph this morning about £200k apartments in a former BT exchange, in a city where you can still pick up a house for less than £150k.

Its the lack of common sense that gets me. Paid £268k for a flat in Ipswich. Whats the average salary there?

My dad's been on the site, and he says it's in some sort of Docklands-style development. Oh, and that £130k is about right ;)

knowing the area, there are thousands of new flats down there its ridiculous trying to turn a Suffolk back water into the Docklands, its just too far to commute to London although some fools do.

Heres the maths;

Two bed new build after negotiation and agent fees about £600/mth = £7200/yr

Based on old landlord maths of an 8% yield minimum, true value = £90000

And that my friends is roughly where these flats will be in a year or so.

Guest Bart of Darkness
tI always make important financial decisions after listening to fellow guests' chat at dinner.

The closest I've come to that is someone begging for money from me in the queue at MacDonalds.

Strangely enough, I've never been in a McChavs since.