House Price Crash Forum
Darkman

Insider Trading And Malicious Rumours... The Big Lie

So media "sources" have informed the press that insider trading and rumour spreading are responsible for the near fall of the Halifax. They say it was all the work of some underhand greedy city types who conspired to make a quick buck. Seems plausible... or does it?

Don't underestimate the fear running through Govt. Don't assume the truth will come out via the press. When did it ever come out during the growing bubble? There are FAR too many vested interests in this to not question what you're hearing.

I don't believe traders were responsible for this weeks chaos at all. I think it was a genuine crisis caused purely by the credit crunch and that institution came to within a millimetre of instant death, possibly bringing the whole show down with them. Obviously no Govt would sit back and allow this without a good fight. Since when did you trust your Govt in a time of turmoil like this?? The best option they had after Northern Rock was to somehow conceal any further crisis.

This is a COVER UP

Guest Charlie The Tramp

Oh well we might as well add one more conspiracy theory to the list. ;)

So media "sources" have informed the press that insider trading and rumour spreading are responsible for the near fall of the Halifax. They say it was all the work of some underhand greedy city types who conspired to make a quick buck. Seems plausible... or does it?

Don't underestimate the fear running through Govt. Don't assume the truth will come out via the press. When did it ever come out during the growing bubble? There are FAR too many vested interests in this to not question what you're hearing.

I don't believe traders were responsible for this weeks chaos at all. I think it was a genuine crisis caused purely by the credit crunch and that institution came to within a millimetre of instant death, possibly bringing the whole show down with them. Obviously no Govt would sit back and allow this without a good fight. Since when did you trust your Govt in a time of turmoil like this?? The best option they had after Northern Rock was to somehow conceal any further crisis.

This is a COVER UP

If the govt offers funding of £5bn to aid liquidity and its overscribed by 5 times it is logical to assume there is a dire need and in view of the size must be from bigger players and HBOS may have been one of them

is the govt going to find the bankers of mass destruction..or will be be another wild goose chase

As he announced a national security strategy, the Prime Minister made it clear that he wanted the public to be more involved and better informed about the threats facing this country over the next ten to twenty years.

That has echos of early 20C Germany, don't you think?

Guest Shedfish

"HUNT FOR THE ROGUE TRADERS"

try Parliament. if they won't let you in just wander into the headquarters of any bank. you'll find most of the rest in there.

Edited by Shedfish

You really don't think it's entirely plausible?

I think something stinks about this... it seems very convenient... why is this rumour being investigated - and not others?

How can anyone tell if the rumour was malicious or a genuine mistake?

How can we be sure it was started by a trader or someone with a vested interest?

I am not, however, willing to assume a full-blown do-da-doo-da conspiracy theory government cover up story.

Oh well we might as well add one more conspiracy to the list. ;)

OK.

It was Tony Blair and his cohorts at Goldman Sachs who started the rumour as they want to be able to buy HBOS for 21p.

Are you aware that Blair, Brown, HBOS and the Rothschilds are all Scottish? Never ever forget, current account debt was invented by the Scottish, as they refuse to spend real money. They also invented the television to spread disinformation and also modern capitalism and the Bank of England.

It was Tony Blair and his cohorts at Goldman Sachs who started the rumour as they want to be able to buy HBOS for 21p.

Are you aware that Blair, Brown, HBOS and the Rothschilds are all Scottish? Never ever forget, current account debt was invented by the Scottish, as they refuse to spend real money. They also invented the television to spread disinformation and also modern capitalism and the Bank of England.

LOL...

You should include Adam Smith [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Smith ] he was Scottish too.

Come to think of it, so was John Law - and he started the Mississippi trading company scam that debased the French currency in the early 18C.

Guest tenant super
Oh well we might as well add one more conspiracy theory to the list. ;)

Charlie, do you really have a list? I have my doubts. ;)

Guest Charlie The Tramp
Charlie, do you really have a list? I have my doubts. ;)

Never doubt Charlie, you would be surprised what I have and know. :)

That has echos of early 20C Germany, don't you think?

From The TimesMarch 20, 2008

The White Paper said that terrorists were not interested just in causing mass casualties “without warning”, but also aspired to target Britain’s national infrastructure using new methods, including electronic attacks. (oh right its the terrorists causing the banking meltdown)

Mr Brown said that staffing levels at MI5 would rise to 4,000 – double what it was in 2001 – (more public sector jobs) and funding for the Joint Terrorism Analysis Centre, which is run by MI5, is to increase by 10 per cent. He also referred to four new regional counter-terrorist units and a 1,000-strong civilian force that would act as a standby body to go anywhere in the world. (yip wonder what the logo will look like on their uniforms, cant have the swastika that would be too obvious)

However, there are three regional counter-terrorist units already operating. A standby force of civilian experts, consisting of former judges and ex-police and army officers, also exists, and will be 1,000-strong by June. BY JUNE!!!!!!

was it David hume another scot like masel i believe who said he would never understand how so many were willingly goverened by so few!!!!!

Im at the beach already waiting on the fight but i think im gonna get a dooin big time!

What I find interesting is that the 'C' word is being used quite freely by the media, including the BBC, without any of the sense of irony you might expect given that such a concept is almost always laughed out of court by them.

It's a conspiracy now, and we are suddenly expected to disregard all previous conditioning to unquestioningly sneer at such an idea (though only, presumably, in this one case).

The truth of what went on in regard to HBOS we will probably never know, though I will be waiting to see whether the story is conveniently steered into the long grass when the sleuths at the FSA have failed to trap their alleged quarry bin Laden style. It might well prove to be useful to have a bad city boy conspiracy (although unproved) in the drawer to pull out and wave around if rumours about other banks need to be calmed.

The fact that a major, and I do mean major, UK bank should be so vulnerable to a mere rumour in the first place is what we should find most telling. Particularly if the rumour is untrue (as we are being told) this story speaks volumes about the fragility of the current UK situation.

Anyway, we don't have any means of knowing whether the rumour had any real basis or not. A government that has lied as blatantly and cynically as the current one can't surely expect us any longer to believe a single word it spouts, and this is likely to be the root of the real problem emerging: the New Labour government has forfeited the public's trust but will be unable to weather a financial and economic cataclysm without it. Hoist by their own petard, methinks. (Whatever a petard is - must google it some time).

What I find interesting is that the 'C' word is being used quite freely by the media, including the BBC, without any of the sense of irony you might expect given that such a concept is almost always laughed out of court by them.

It's a conspiracy now, and we are suddenly expected to disregard all previous conditioning to unquestioningly sneer at such an idea (though only, presumably, in this one case).

The truth of what went on in regard to HBOS we will probably never know, though I will be waiting to see whether the story is conveniently steered into the long grass when the sleuths at the FSA have failed to trap their alleged quarry bin Laden style. It might well prove to be useful to have a bad city boy conspiracy (although unproved) in the drawer to pull out and wave around if rumours about other banks need to be calmed.

The fact that a major, and I do mean major, UK bank should be so vulnerable to a mere rumour in the first place is what we should find most telling. Particularly if the rumour is untrue (as we are being told) this story speaks volumes about the fragility of the current UK situation.

Anyway, we don't have any means of knowing whether the rumour had any real basis or not. A government that has lied as blatantly and cynically as the current one can't surely expect us any longer to believe a single word it spouts, and this is likely to be the root of the real problem emerging: the New Labour government has forfeited the public's trust but will be unable to weather a financial and economic cataclysm without it. Hoist by their own petard, methinks. (Whatever a petard is - must google it some time).

That's the salient point - if HBOS or any other bank, for that matter, hadn't generally been perceived as fragile, the rumour would have been dismissed as ludicrous and it wouldn't have circulated as far and fast as it did.

Guest Steve Cook
OK.

:lol::lol:

Guest Steve Cook
....The truth of what went on in regard to HBOS we will probably never know, though I will be waiting to see whether the story is conveniently steered into the long grass when the sleuths at the FSA have failed to trap their alleged quarry bin Laden style. It might well prove to be useful to have a bad city boy conspiracy (although unproved) in the drawer to pull out and wave around if rumours about other banks need to be calmed.

I agrre with this

This is a COVER UP

Amazing, from the Government of Spin, they are upset that someone is telling stories.

If it was a story tellers tale yesterday then a few hundred million was lost, not the lives of 80,000 women and children!!!.

"HUNT FOR THE ROGUE TRADERS"

try Parliament. if they won't let you in just wander into the headquarters of any bank. you'll find most of the rest in there.

They will probably blame some group in Iran etc & use this as an excuse to go to war

OK.

You forgot to add the worlds first savings bank opened in 1810 nr Dumfries. It's now a museum. :)

http://www.savingsbanksmuseum.co.uk/

That Mary Poppins boy wanted tuppence to feed the Birds and that caused a run on the bank.

No wonder they got rid of the Birds in Trafalgar square.

Thanks Ken, for removing the potential bird threat from our Uk Banking system.

The White Paper said that terrorists were not interested just in causing mass casualties “without warning”, but also aspired to target Britain’s national infrastructure using new methods, including electronic attacks. (oh right its the terrorists causing the banking meltdown)

By the way, The Italian Job is now banned, because it shows terrorists how to knock out the electricity supply using only a bicycle, and how to cause gridlock using only Benny Hill.

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
In Scottish schools, they only teach the union of the English and Scottish thrones under the Scottish king James (choose a number depending whether you are from England or Scotland). But they don't teach the fact that the Act of the Union and the assumption of Scottish national debt under the English one, was the result of a previous bubble...

http://www.open2.net/thingsweforgot/thedariengap.html

The Scottish invented Cancer.