House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
DEATH

Will £1 = 1 Euro Withinin 2 Years?

I have for several years now thought that the UK will be in someway forced into the EURO.

If £1 eventually stabilises to equal 1 euro within the next 24 months this will make the people think

there is no difference anyway.

We are half way there already with the recent drops in the pound. The pound is still seen as over-valued

by many, so another 20% drop against the E in the next 2 years isn't out of the question and may even be said to be likely.

I wonder if the whole financial crisis here has been created in order for us to feel we'd be better off in the EURO for

financial stability, lower interest rates etc.

I believe the main reason behind the pro-europe MPs is they think if we become so intertwined with Europe then we wont

go to war against each other again. I.e. the Germans bomb us they'd be taking out their biggest Electric and Water companies

assets.

Am I alone in thinking there are other forces at play?

It's nice if your house doubles in price... but then you find out the money only buys half as much!

I used to think that there was a coordinated pro-Euro agenda. I now think that there was a hapless disorganised pro-Euro inclination within New Labour.

However...

The voting public will not think that there is "no difference" if things they buy on-holiday in Europe cost a third more than they do now.

Maybe it is being engineered so the rest of Europe can ditch their expensive, over-valued currency and adopt sterling. Italy, Spain and Ireland will be screaming to join the pound soon.

Maybe it is being engineered so the rest of Europe can ditch their expensive, over-valued currency and adopt sterling. Italy, Spain and Ireland will be screaming to join the pound soon.

:lol:

I don't think this is engineered but I do think that if 1:1 is reached it would present an ideal opportunity for UK to join the Euro without an expensive changeover. When 1:1 occurs, simply lock the rate and make the Euro fully legal tender here alongside the pound. The pound would in effect become a 'nominal euro' and then gradually the coins and notes could be withdrawn as euros replace them, like how old shillings were treated as 5p coins when we decimalised. No confusion or profiteering over price conversion. No expensive changeover day. I actually wrote to my LibDem MP about this a few weeks ago. I wonder if the chancellor or his advisors have thought of this?

Edited by Sofa Spud

Guest mattsta1964
I have for several years now thought that the UK will be in someway forced into the EURO.

If £1 eventually stabilises to equal 1 euro within the next 24 months this will make the people think

We are half way there already with the recent drops in the pound. The pound is still seen as over-valued

by many, so another 20% drop against the E in the next 2 years isn't out of the question and may even be said to be likely.

I wonder if the whole financial crisis here has been created in order for us to feel we'd be better off in the EURO for

I believe the main reason behind the pro-europe MPs is they think if we become so intertwined with Europe then we wont

go to war against each other again. I.e. the Germans bomb us they'd be taking out their biggest Electric and Water companies

assets.

It's nice if your house doubles in price... but then you find out the money only buys half as much!

The men in the shadows have been undermining the British economy for decades. The same is true of the USA.

Britain was forced to sell a portion of its gold reserves to prop up Sterling after the ERM fiasco, precipitated by George Soros, a CFR member.

Normon Lamont was rewarded for guiding the UK economy into this crisis in 1989 with a job at a Rothschild bank. Yeah! Wake up and smell the coffee! Rothschilds! Behind ever banking crisis and war in the last 200 years.

In 1997, Broon, under 'advice' from Alan Greenspan, another NWO conspirator, flogs off 2/3rds of the UK gold reserves for $275oz.

We are now in a situation where the treasury will not be able to prop up Sterling in the event of an emergency. If there is a run on Sterling, we will acept the Euro by default without any democratic representation.

The US economy is being prepared for the Amero, the new continental fiat currency for the Americas.

So, yes.

You assertation is correct. The UK and the USA in particular are being prepared for 'talkeover', circumventing all democratic principles in the process.

I'm amazed more people don't take the NWO conspiracy more seriously. People still think its a tin foil hat lizerd men conspiracy. The evidence for the NWO is circumstatial but persuasive none the less.

If there is a run on Sterling, we will acept the Euro by default without any democratic representation.

Consider what this phrase, 'a run on sterling', means.

In the old days of fixed exchange rates (which provided the circumstances when the term 'run' could properly be used, IMO) it meant that the market was selling sterling, with the government being obliged to support the currency by spending reserves etc. When there were no more reserves/gold/credible interest-rate ammo, they either had to seek a bail-out (eg from the IMF) or accept a politically-damaging devaluation.

With today's floating exchange rates, a fall in the value of sterling simply means that its international purchasing power is eroded. The government is under no obligation to intervene, raise rates, or go to the IMF. Instead, we suffer inflation, we import less, we tighten our belts, perhaps we go cold or hungry. Eventually, our reduced wages make us more competitive, and the currency stabilises.

Solving the problems we face means solving the structural problems of our economy and society, which on the face of it is beyond the scope of choosing which currency to use. Accepting for the moment that you are right about a conspiracy of the elite, I think that with people able to look across the Irish Sea or at Italy and Spain, 'euro-as-panacea' is going to be a hard sell for the NWO.

assets.

Personally I do not really care about the specifics of your post but I find your name and avatar at best immature (are you a student?) and at worst immoral, macabre and utterly insensitive. Of the 1000+ members on here recently bereaved I am sure I am not alone in thinking you should rethink the level at which you pitch your jokes - and perhaps be a little more aware of your place in the bigger picture of society and humanity.

Guest happy?

....Am I alone in thinking there are other forces at play?

No. There are lots of paranoid delusionals in chat rooms.

But hey, think of the advantages - you'll able to import your medicine from anywhere within the Eurozone without having to worry about currency fluctuations.

Personally I do not really care about the specifics of your post but I find your name and avatar at best immature (are you a student?) and at worst immoral, macabre and utterly insensitive. Of the 1000+ members on here recently bereaved I am sure I am not alone in thinking you should rethink the level at which you pitch your jokes - and perhaps be a little more aware of your place in the bigger picture of society and humanity.

Cor blimey guv, it's a fair cop. You've got me bang to rights you 'ave. It was me what done it and I deserve to go down!

Yes, so you're really sensitive - implying students are all immature (not that I am one). Really sensitive and profound.

I suppose you have a really productive media or finance job in London, and read philosophy in your lunchbreaks?

I've really had it up to here with Londoners. Hating other people based on minor personality differences is not fashionable. Just because you live in a s.hithole, that's your lifestyle choice - you made it.

Yes, so you're really sensitive - implying students are all immature (not that I am one).

Good point, he could be a mature student :lol:

death got p'wned !!

Wherever pound goes against euro, I think there is one thing almost 100% certain: what we will see unfolding in Eurozone this year and beyond will make sure that those countries that haven't joined Eurozone will steer clear of it.

Look at Ireland, look at Italy now... Irish economists are moaning that they can't devalue to ease their trouble. Italy always devalued in the past when the going got tough. Spain is currently crying out loud to cut EUR (as opposed to the needs of the Dutch or Germany) rate to make sure their problem gets even bigger: more debt (and feck inflation!) narcotics until the addict will have to be brought to the clinic forcefully. Anyone recalling Sweden in early 1990s? They had to abandon ERM to devalue SEK to sort their banking crisis, and they were wise enough not to join Eurozone after that. And the list goes on and on with anecdotal evidence. The UK is actually the most different specie within the EU in terms of the capitalism (and legal system) practiced, i.e. it'd be least suited for the heavy and clumsy monetary policy of the ECB.

GBP/EUR = 1 in 2 years? It's not a foregone conclusion. If it were, GBP/EUR wouldn't be 1.28 today. I think what people tend to forget is that should a bad recession start, Eurozone won't be a safe haven (there's plenty of struggle already in Southern block and Ireland). In fact it wasn't that long ago (last autumn) that BNP economists presented arguments why EUR could be effectively dissolved in not too distant future altogether due to 100% opposite monetary needs (or rather wishes) of different Eurozone species... :ph34r:

You shouldn't believe everything you read by Ambrose Evans-Pritchard in the Telegraph. Italy and Spain are squawking at the moment but wasn't it ever thus? A huge chunk of their economies (20 to 30%) are their thriving, off-balance sheet, black markets and these will help them survive the coming difficulties, though unemployment will increase and house prices (particularly in Spain) will crash.

As for the Republic of Ireland......I agree, it's well fcuked :lol:

We are now in a situation where the treasury will not be able to prop up Sterling in the event of an emergency. If there is a run on Sterling, we will acept the Euro by default without any democratic representation.

Just like in NYC. They love euros there.

"Italy and Spain are squawking at the moment but wasn't it ever thus? A huge chunk of their economies (20 to 30%) are their thriving, off-balance sheet, black markets and these will help them survive the coming difficulties."

Your first sentence here: agreed. Second sentence and regarding the survival of coming difficulties: the point is that there is one huge difference: they don't have an independent monetary policy they used to have before EUR, and this may prove crucial in weathering the coming storm.

You shouldn't believe everything you read by Ambrose Evans-Pritchard in the Telegraph. Italy and Spain are squawking at the moment but wasn't it ever thus? A huge chunk of their economies (20 to 30%) are their thriving, off-balance sheet, black markets and these will help them survive the coming difficulties, though unemployment will increase and house prices (particularly in Spain) will crash.

As for the Republic of Ireland......I agree, it's well fcuked :lol:

more like 65% in Italy.

Technically, they have always been struggling. But not really.

I agree on Ireland going down hard. The tiger of Europe. What a joke that was

I agree on Ireland going down hard. The tiger of Europe. What a joke that was

I'd bet that you'll witness bigger jokes than Ireland in Europe in the coming years... :rolleyes: