House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ash4781

Gordon Brown Agrees To Meet The Dalai Lama

Glad to see he checked with the Chinese whether or not it was OK first

Gordon Brown agrees to meet the Dalai Lama

By Richard Spencer in Beijing

Last Updated: 6:33pm GMT 19/03/2008

The Prime Minister Gordon Brown today delighted Tibetan exile groups and ended months of speculation by saying he would meet the Dalai Lama during his visit to Britain in May.

"I will meet the Dalai Lama when he is in London," Mr Brown said, in a decision that a week ago would have infuriated Beijing and put at risk the Government's determined efforts to promote good business and diplomatic relations with China.

But, according to Mr Brown's statement during Prime Minister's Questions, the initial response from Beijing was conciliatory - a sign of the Chinese government's awareness of the impact the violent unrest in Tibet is having on its international reputation.

Mr Brown said he had informed the Chinese prime minister, Wen Jiabao, of his decision this morning and that Mr Wen had himself held out the possibility of talks with the Dalai Lama.

Guest Skint Academic

You don't think that the Dalai Lama knows how to use a gun do you?

Guest anorthosite
You don't think that the Dalai Lama knows how to use a gun do you?

There are very few people who know how not to use a gun more than him.

Speaking from Number 10 Gordon issues this statement.

"Despite condemnation from China it is the right thing to do, New Labour always do the right thing, dont forget that. I have from an early age held a great respect and admiration for him, indeed I have serveral jumpers knitted for me by my Nana and look forward to wearing one for our meeting".

llama1.jpg

What is a dalai lama ? is it like a pope ? Did the beatles meet one when they were high on drugs ? Will he tell Gordons future from a palm reading ? Have I got the right bloke ?

What is a dalai lama ? is it like a pope ? Did the beatles meet one when they were high on drugs ? Will he tell Gordons future from a palm reading ? Have I got the right bloke ?

Jesus, Gordon wants to do some `politically correct Richard Gere` stunt?

The only difference between then UK and China is that they`ve got an economy (and no chavs!)