House Price Crash Forum
Guest pioneer31

Letting Agent Lies

Guest pioneer31

I'm having to find a flat to rent and I've decided to use a letting agent (only because there's more choice).

Having not used one before, I would appeciate some of the standard lies or stunts that they pull. Also, dodgy clauses to watch out for in the contract

Today I've had 2 viewings, on both I was told that they had "shown other people round", however after the first viewing, the LA told me that she had just shown someone round BUT it was obvious that she hadn't been in the place before.

The second lady told me that somebody had already shown interest and was in the process of signing for it, however "don't let it put you off, it's not set in stone" I was then told how we would end up being 'chosen' by the landlord, like some kind of raffle!!.......but we have to hand over the admin fee first. If we're not successful, we'll get a full refund?!?!?!

Edited by pioneer31

The second lady told me that somebody had already shown interest and was in the process of signing for it, however "don't let it put you off, it's not set in stone" I was then told how we would end up being 'chosen' by the landlord, like some kind of raffle!!.......but we have to hand over the admin fee first. If we're not successful, we'll get a full refund?!?!?!

No different to any other type of negotiation really. They try to persuade you that there is limited time/availability and you must persuade them that you have all the time and choice in the world. Good references and a track record of long stays helps too. Obviously this will include 'have already shown people round, had expressions of interest' etc etc, all the usual rubbish.

I dont like the sound of having to hand over an admin fee first - Im pretty sure that is at least frowned upon if not outright illegal.

yeah, its nice enough and all, and we would be interested but it would be a shame to take the opportunity away from someone who clearly needs and wants it more than us. Perhaps you have some other properties available.

1) pissing you about showing you flats that are still being renovated, smaller than you want, or just plain shite.

2) showing you better flats than the above, but out of the price range you suggested.

3) fees. fees on fees. + vat. + checkout fees.

4) credit check fees

5) new tenancy fees - even though a PT is fine

6) cleaning fees even though it was effin filthy when you moved in

7) inspections, presented in a way as to reinforce your position as a scratch tenant with no rights although the opposite is infact true.

8) oh that, yes, that will be fixed prior to you moving in.

9) oh no, the landlord has never agreed to that.

10) ****** you, pay. I know we didn't do anything with the direct debit mandate, but now you are 3 months behind on rent, so ****** you, pay.

11) Reference, oh I wouldn't rent to these guys, they got 4 months behind on their rent...

1. the Landlords a local.... (and really he is a company in Switzerland)

2. the Landlords details will be in the lease (and they aren't) and the agent won't give them to me

3. the LL will be happy to remove all/some of the furniture when you move in

4. the flat will be professionally cleaned before you move in... (my favourite)

5. the laws on holding the bond don't apply to this flat

6. the LL will not negotiate on the rent

7. yes, it's legal to insist on 3 months notice from you when you move out, oh and 1 months from the LL to get rid of you

8. you won't need an AST as we will manage the property

9. it's normal for tenants to pay 3 months in advance

10. we will send you the AST when it is signed (and they never do)

11. if you don't sign and return the inventory that means you have accepted all the crap in it and have no argument. After all it is done by a professional....

12. we will get the boiler checked once a year. Oh the last boiler check - no idea - no certificate - it doesn't matter

13. the flat has 2 phone lines and they all work

14. yes, this flat has cable TV/sat

15. no one ever uses the communal garden outside your bedroom window

16. parking is shared but there is never a problem

17. all the other people in this development are quiet, happy professionals

18. yes the LL has a BTL mortgage and ... all those bills on the floor.. he will deal with them

19. the last tenants left as they moved abroad/job

20. no pets are allowed and none of your neighbours have them

21. the developers in the middle of putting in the ... gardens/gym

22. the managing agent is just dealing with the .... lights...mould...rubbish...graffiti in the communal areas. They just changed agents as the old one wasn't doing the job

23. none of the upstairs flats are allowed wooden floorboards... which means you won't hear a thing from the neighbours

24. the AST says that you must return the property into perfect order when you leave - what wrong with that? it's standard and normal

25. we are the sole agents for this LL and you won't find it advertised elsewhere

26. We are his agents and have the authority to negotiate for him.

Edited by Flopsy

I'm having to find a flat to rent and I've decided to use a letting agent (only because there's more choice).

Having not used one before, I would appeciate some of the standard lies or stunts that they pull. Also, dodgy clauses to watch out for in the contract

Today I've had 2 viewings, on both I was told that they had "shown other people round", however after the first viewing, the LA told me that she had just shown someone round BUT it was obvious that she hadn't been in the place before.

As I think you realise they are trying to get you to sign up asap, don't fall for it. Make any decision in your own time, we looked at 6 places last week and all of them had "other people interested and looking later" or "considering it", as of today none of them have gone.

Guest pioneer31
4. the flat will be professionally cleaned before you move in... (my favourite)

I saw a place yesterday and was assured it would be professionally cleaned and the damp under the bathroom lino sorted out.

but I thought "How did it get to this state in the first place"? Damp doesn't just appear overnight

It looked like pigs had been living there.... No.... Pigs aren't that dirty

I saw a place yesterday and was assured it would be professionally cleaned and the damp under the bathroom lino sorted out.

but I thought "How did it get to this state in the first place"? Damp doesn't just appear overnight

It looked like pigs had been living there.... No.... Pigs aren't that dirty

I'd also say that before you pay any significant deposit/rent in advance you go and check the property for a second time, after any work or cleaning has been done. Any decent agent IMO wouldn't turn down such a request, which is more than reasonable, and any one that does I'd personally stay clear of.

I'd also say that before you pay any significant deposit/rent in advance you go and check the property for a second time, after any work or cleaning has been done. Any decent agent IMO wouldn't turn down such a request, which is more than reasonable, and any one that does I'd personally stay clear of.

They're all liars, all the time. They can't help it. I think it's possibly something genetic. Just remember to take EVERYTHING a lettings agent says with a HUGE cellarfull of salt.

No different to any other type of negotiation really. They try to persuade you that there is limited time/availability and you must persuade them that you have all the time and choice in the world. Good references and a track record of long stays helps too. Obviously this will include 'have already shown people round, had expressions of interest' etc etc, all the usual rubbish.

I dont like the sound of having to hand over an admin fee first - Im pretty sure that is at least frowned upon if not outright illegal.

Taking a fee is illegal if it does not lead to a tenancy

(Accommodation Agencies Act 1953)

So, you can pay your fee, take your time and report them to your local Trading Standards Dept if fee is not returned as promised.

Guest pioneer31

When using a Letting Agent, I can't believe how the process is stacked in the landlords (and agents) favour as opposed to private renting

The landlord can know how much you earn, where you've lived, your credit history, 2 references. The rent, deposit and, agents fee are paid upfront. At the same time they offer you no real peace of mind with regards to living. If I upset him/her 'ie' pull out of the agreement early, there's an inflated fee to pay. There's also a check out fee, renewal fee etc, oh and he can do inspections too. The landlord 'has a right to his property back'.

So, it's shut up, pay up and thank the lord that someone has the kindness to let a serf like you live in their palace.

No wonder people are deperate to be homeowners

Edited by pioneer31