House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Scunnered

Scotland 'should Escape A Uk Crash In House Prices'

It's the bleedin' Scotsman again.

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/scotland/S...a-UK.3891173.jp:

HOUSE price growth in Scotland is slowing as the credit crunch tightens its grip, but a crash is not on the cards despite the increasingly volatile global economy.

In its latest Scottish residential market review, Savills estate agency forecasts average house price growth this year of 4 per cent, down from 12 per cent in 2007. A significant drop in prices is not predicted, partly because of Scotland's relative affordability.

Its average house price of £144,897 is well below the UK average of £197,101, according to Bank of Scotland (BoS).

As Martin Ellis, a BoS economist, said: "A key factor driving the increase in house prices in Scotland has been its

relative affordability."

Turning to buy-to-let, existing landlords could actually benefit from the credit crunch, as people will be forced to remain in rented accommodation.

Grrrrrrrrrr......

Oh, but hold on... later in the same issue (here) they've got a story on the Scottish equivalent of HIPs which starts

HOUSE prices may plunge this year in the run-up to the launch of the single survey, a property expert warned today.

I wish they'd make their minds up.

Grrrrrrrrrr......

Oh, but hold on... later in the same issue (here) they've got a story on the Scottish equivalent of HIPs which starts

I was waiting to see how long it would take the Scotsman to come up with something like this.

It is reasurring that the the Scotland/England border is so robust that it can stop any of these global events affecting Scotland as much as the rest of the UK.

Oh, yes and I can't wait to hear what the ESPC have to say on the matter - surely we will some pearls of wisdom from them soon about how Edinburgh is so special.

Edited by lulu

I was waiting to see how long it would take the Scotsman to come up with something like this.

It is reasurring that the the Scotland/England border is so robust that it can stop any of these global events affecting Scotland as much as the rest of the UK.

Naturally. Don't forget this is a country where a lot of people think they can have 'independence within the EU' :lol:

Guest An Bearin Bui

Grrrrrrrrrr......

Christ, these hacks at the Scotsman never give it a break, do they? That newspaper might as well rename itself the Scottish Property Advertiser and just have pages of classified ads and property prospectus blurb, interspersed with the occasional opinion piece ("You can't lose on property, property prices have never fallen in Scotland, renting is dead money") from the EA of the week. I used to read it about 2 years ago and now I don't even visit their web-page - it's a moronic publication.

I hate the Scotsman - their coverage of the election was absolutely appalling with their refusal to accept that Labour weren't going to win. In fact I think they're still in denial about the SNP victory. So it is no suprise that they write the same garbage about house prices.

Janey Milligan's changed her mind anyway

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7304007.stm

Mrs Milligan had predicted that the new system could cause major changes in the market, bringing a possible surge in properties for sale in the summer and autumn.

However, speaking on BBC Radio's Good Morning Scotland programme, Ms Milligan said: "We are not saying that they will absolutely plunge, and bring a rush of houses for sale.

"What we are saying is there is likely to be some change in the market, with some sellers perhaps being afraid of the changes that are coming into force on 1 December and electing to put their house on the market slightly earlier."

which is idiotic really, as most sellers are also buyers for whom the single survey will save money, and make things a lot easier.

Christ, these hacks at the Scotsman never give it a break, do they? That newspaper might as well rename itself the Scottish Property Advertiser and just have pages of classified ads and property prospectus blurb, interspersed with the occasional opinion piece ("You can't lose on property, property prices have never fallen in Scotland, renting is dead money") from the EA of the week. I used to read it about 2 years ago and now I don't even visit their web-page - it's a moronic publication.

I know what you mean. Unfortunately I seem to have developed a horrible addiction to their website. I can't tear myself away from the endless property ramping stories. The website has a dedicated mortgage and property section; here's a selection of the latest stories:

• Demand for CAB advice on mortgage trouble rockets

• Mortgage hike alert after US bank crash

• £500 fine threat over home surveys

• Who'll be safe as houses in the coming economic storm?

• Bank plays it safe as rates put on hold

• 17 million-pound homes sold in last 2 months by city agent

• When a hutch becomes a home

• Developers drive home a bargain to tempt buyers

• Noose is tightening around necks of first-time buyers

• Mortgage lending rise fails to dent credit crunch fears

• Lothian house prices fall 5% as market cools

• Slump won't hit city says estate agent

• Million-pound house sales surge 60%

• Capital property boom bucks the trend for sales across UK

• A recession? Not in my backyard say house sellers

• Capital home owners warned over rise in repossessions

• Home seizures hit 8-year high amid fears of further rise

• Would you pay £285,000 to live in this flat?

It's all a bit up and down. They have stories about the current economic difficulties, but then the next day the entire paper seems to be devoted to estate agents angrily denying that there's any problem.

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

"Nooo! Thae cannae goo doon wae Broon! Thae cannae! Cannae! Cannae!"

"Nooooo!!"

"Mae phuqen hoose raight, uz wurth a phuqun mullion quid. An ae ain't phuqun sellin et tae nae basturd for nae pence unner a mullion!"

/falls drunk onto the floor.

"Nooo! Thae cannae goo doon wae Broon! Thae cannae! Cannae! Cannae!"

"Nooooo!!"

"Mae phuqen hoose raight, uz wurth a phuqun mullion quid. An ae ain't phuqun sellin et tae nae basturd for nae pence unner a mullion!"

/falls drunk onto the floor.

You really must come to Scotland on a fact-finding mission some time; I'm sure we could arrange for you to have an exciting and informative trip. I'll start the ball rolling by nominating Wario as chairman of the entertainment committee.

Hmm. Not feeling v. hospitable at the mo., Killie got humped up the Crewe Toll by those tinkers from Easter Road (plus ca change ...), and the Cooncil seems to be reneging on its tacit bargain to let Youngest into the 2y. school their sib attends, after they daffy-ducked the catchments about. The secret cabal which decides these things was in session the day.

Those merchant schools are looking horribly attractive ... at least the process is fairly open.

But ... I'm forgetting. Come awa' ben, Mr DYIV, there's still a bit of ice on some waterfalls and the like, if scrambling about in gutters is your thing. And today I watched a hoodie (the feathery sort) trying to get the eyes out of a lamb, but the mother was having none of it. So it's not like we don't know how to enjoy ourselves!

Jellies, swedgers, poitin and hairy pies all round, that do ye?

Oh, and, for the first time in Youngest's life, I think, a well tricked-out flat in the street went on at less than what decades of observation has taught Peach is definitely below the expected asking price, in the order of 8%-10% below what we're used to.

Now all we need is for the effing Festival and the endless effing fireworks to get scratched. Things are on the mend.

Hmm. Not feeling v. hospitable at the mo., Killie got humped in the Crewe Toll by those tinkers from Easter Road (plus ca change ...), and the Cooncil seems to be reneging on its tacit bargain to let Youngest into the 2y. school their sib attends, after they daffy-ducked the catchments about. The secret cabal which decides these things was in session the day.

Those merchant schools are looking horribly attractive ... at least the process is fairly open.

But ... I'm forgetting. Come awa' ben, Mr DYIV, there's still a bit of ice in the morning on some waterfalls and the like, if scrambling about in gutters is your thing. And today I watched a hoodie (the feathery sort) trying to get the eyes out of a lamb, but the mother was having none of it. So it's not like we don't know how to enjoy ourselves!

Oh, and, for the first time in Youngest's life, I think, a well tricked-out flat in the street went on at less than what decades of observation has taught Peach is definitely below the expected asking price, in the order of 8%-10% below what we're used to.

Now all we need is for the effing Festival and the endless effing fireworks to get scratched. Things are on the mend. :)

Now wario the only bit aboot that that understood was the bit aboot the local NA council being tin gods and more corrupt than the current goverment who are asking us on the news tonight to trust them about security with images of the cold war, im thinking they are up to something more sinister but hey im like that. I was almost lynched today for daring to say house prices here are falling and also told not to worry so much its only because im young (36) that i have never really seen a recession and my comments that its worse than a reccession are guffawed at with mirth! I am told the market will adapt it always does and that someone soon will start to provide 100% mortgages again and the other banks will have to do the same to compete etc !

They think i am bonkers and lost the plot. Funny it has been this issue thats highlighted the fact. hahaha. :lol:

what

Guest Skint Academic

If this was really true then in a few years time some property magnate would be looking at converting Hadrian's Wall into a very long apartment block.

No doubt it would be sold as a 'character property' with excellent views but when you move in you find you've got crap neighbours ;)

shuggy dont forget aboot all them whisky wool n oil jobs and all them subsidised one too with the employment agencys oh and now we have a wood burning power station also thats another 50 at least. WE are doomed i tell ye DOOMED!

But ... I'm forgetting. Come awa' ben, Mr DYIV, there's still a bit of ice on some waterfalls and the like, if scrambling about in gutters is your thing. And today I watched a hoodie (the feathery sort) trying to get the eyes out of a lamb, but the mother was having none of it. So it's not like we don't know how to enjoy ourselves!

Excellent: those are exactly the kinds of traditional Scottish pastimes that I was looking for. I like the cut of your chib.

Reminds me of the Black Death

England was weak and suffering so the Scots massed on the border ready to invade, in Scottish eyes the plague was sent by God to punish the evil English.

The Scottish Army a concentration of men was easy meat for the disease and was more or less wiped out by the plague.

Guest anorthosite
Reminds me of the Black Death

England was weak and suffering so the Scots massed on the border ready to invade, in Scottish eyes the plague was sent by God to punish the evil English.

The Scottish Army a concentration of men was easy meat for the disease and was more or less wiped out by the plague.

Yes, I see the obvious parallel. :blink:

There's always a reason why "it wont happen here". Just in the last couple of weeks I've seen this applied to London, Brighton, Oxfordshire...

and now Scotland.

So why is one of the biggest private property developers trying to offload his portfolio? I have it on good authority that there's a glut at the top of the market as the big investor has decided to get liquid fast. Not all appear on ESPC as many at this level are sold privately.