House Price Crash Forum

Please look at propertysnake, enter your postcode, and record here what the highest percentage drop in your area is.

Will be very interesting to see what the results are....

I know it was probably deeply satisfying keying in the options, but tell me, didn't it cross your mind that people are unlikely to see 96-100% drops? :P

Propertysnake shows 6% drops in Islington. Presumably none of these are properties listed by Foxtons.....

[edit; grandma]

Edited by Paddles

I know it was probably deeply satisfying keying in the options, but tell me, didn't it cross your mind that people are unlikely to see 96-100% drops? :P

Propertysnake shows 6% drops in Islington. Presumably none of these are properties listed by Foxtons.....

[edit; grandma]

Yes, I know :( But it could happen... It's just the Engineer in me - I like things to be complete, and consistent.

Having it in just helps complete the picture, as does keeping the bands the same spread. I know, I'm just being nerdy.

Some of the Snake large drops are unrealistic and not representative, so

I averaged out the more reasonable maximum drops in six adjoining postcodes -

and arrived at 12-15%.

Gloucester/Hereford

More generally, Snake is arriving at 6-8% drops in the same area

calculated mostly from aug/sep 2007 to present.

===================================

It strikes me that, if this is anywhere near reality on *asking prices*,

then selling prices must be down by 8-10% on average and

I would definitely start any offer at 20% below asking, myself.

Edited by PotNoodle

My 26% drop is for a £1.5m to £1.1m - for a 4-bed house in an area where a typical 4-bed would go for a third of that... so it isn't representative. The next biggest drop is "only" 16%.

Some of the Snake large drops are unrealistic and not representative, so

I averaged out the more reasonable maximum drops in six adjoining postcodes -

and arrived at 12-15%.

Yes, but I wasn't after the representative figure for the "average" fall. I want to see what the maximum fall is in each area. it's a basic comparison through all areas.

If we do the same each time we run this poll, then it'll build up a picture of what is happening.

To get a representative fall in each area would be very tricky, and involve a lot more work on evryone's part.

You *could* take polls for the following:

- Average of six adjoining postcodes

- maximum of six adjoining postcodes

- minimum of six adjoining postcodes

- the third on your list of your particular postcode

- the average of all falls in your postcode

None of these are really the true "average fall" figure. it doesn't really matter, as long as the same thing is measured everywhere.

Anyway, "representative" is probably very close to 0% falls everywhere - most properties are not reduced. Yet.

I cant vote as there is no provision for -ve drops :lol:

Propertysnake won't show any "-ve" drops. Me thinks you're teling porkies :P What postcode are you (first 3/4 characters only are sufficient).

Guest AuntJess

What maddens me is that the largest droips seem to be coming from the cheapest houses. The really obscenely overpriced are dropping only 1%..if that.

Greedy B******s :angry:

Propertysnake won't show any "-ve" drops. Me thinks you're teling porkies :P What postcode are you (first 3/4 characters only are sufficient).

4171 drop will be -5 to -10% for 08

me other one is by the sea and might not drop this year not tellin where

4171 drop will be -5 to -10% for 08

me other one is by the sea and might not drop this year not tellin where

lol!!

ok,ok.... I understand now. You do realise that a negative drop is actually a rise...? i didn't ask how much they had risen, but how much they have dropped.... subtle difference.

15% is largest drop here in Chesterfield on £129k house, not be long now until my LLs house will be worth £50k :lol:

Edited by Lander

lol!!

ok,ok.... I understand now. You do realise that a negative drop is actually a rise...? i didn't ask how much they had risen, but how much they have dropped.... subtle difference.

Stone the Crows just looked it up its down 4% how can this be its by the water they said it would never happen, those houses that aint selling, must be something wrong with them, mine must be better than them, right ? :ph34r:

Biggest drop in SG12 is 13% at the mo. but the median is more like -5%.

It looks like everywhere else is going to crash but my street should be fine :P

About 5% for my postcode, excluding one property down 20% because the vendors have cunningly marketed it through a net only agent that doesn't list on any of the four major property portals.

29% is the biggest in my post code, however there are plent in the 10-20% range.

What is amazing is the time they have been on the market....

248 days

245 days

193 days

254 days

172 days

237 days

83 days

57 days

223 days

254 days

253 days

165 days

192 days

195 days

140 days

171 days

247 days

48 days

142 days

182 days

Thats just the first two pages, I suppose it should be expected that those with the biggest drops will be on the market the longest but there must be loads of houses selling in the first few minutes to get the average time on market to the supposed average or around 4 weeks.

I'm currently staying in cornwall for a bit and find the local rag quite astonishing. Its like the credit crunch doesn't even exist!! EA's putting half page ads for properties that may go to market soon or other ads trying to generate excitement by using the sealed bid system with crazy starting prices. Even the local radio station reported a St Ives two bed being put on the market for a million £ only Monday.

edit, spelling.

Edited by chefdave

I'm currently staying in cornwall for a bit and find the local rag quite astonishing. Its like the credit crunch doesn't even exist!! EA's putting half page ads for properties that may go to market soon or other ads trying to generate excitement by using the sealed bid system with crazy starting prices. Even the local radio station reported a St Ives two bed being put on the market for a million £ only Monday.

Yes, but property snake shows that prices in West Cornwall are falling quite sharply, the biggest drop being 29 per cent and this trend seems to be hitting more expensive houses hardest.