House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest_chris c-t_*

Hbos -70pts

You are making me very nervous :(

OK, no need to run, jogging is acceptable too -

I don't mind if you're at the front or the back of the queue.

Start a run on mortgage lending banks,

A sure way to secure my thanks.

(Erm... anyone here any good at poetry?)

(Erm... anyone here any good at poetry?)

Believe me I would but it's tied up for another two months. Is this because I tried to defend Heather Mills?

If you hold cash in mortgage banks

Then now's the time to join the line -

Why wait until the market tanks?

The press release says "We're just fine:

No lack of funds or capital!

An ocean of liquidity!"

But in the end, these bankers all

Rely on your stupidity.

So get your money, while you can -

Before the shít has hit the fan.

It just gets better!!!

LONDON (Thomson Financial) - The Bank of England said there is no substance to a rumour that Easter leave for MPC members has been cancelled.

‘This rumour is absolute rubbish,’ a spokesman told Thomson Financial News. There were rumours in the market that the MPC was planning to meet over rumoured emergency funding for HBOS (LSE: HBOS.L - news) .

HBOS earlier strongly denied the rumour, saying it is ‘one of the world’s strongest financial institutions, with one of the world’s strongest balance sheets.’

If you hold cash in mortgage banks

Then now's the time to join the line -

Why wait until the market tanks?

The press release says "We're just fine:

No lack of funds or capital!

An ocean of liquidity!"

But in the end, these bankers all

Rely on your stupidity.

So get your money, while you can -

Before the shít has hit the fan.

Very good. How would Oscar Wilde have put it..?

"To lose one bank may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose two looks like carelessness."

It just gets better!!!

LONDON (Thomson Financial) - The Bank of England said there is no substance to a rumour that Easter leave for MPC members has been cancelled.

‘This rumour is absolute rubbish,’ a spokesman told Thomson Financial News. There were rumours in the market that the MPC was planning to meet over rumoured emergency funding for HBOS (LSE: HBOS.L - news) .

HBOS earlier strongly denied the rumour, saying it is ‘one of the world’s strongest financial institutions, with one of the world’s strongest balance sheets.’

That'll be akin to the disgraceful rumours that brought down Bear Stearns then <_<

Can someone explain to me what a strong balance sheet is ? Is it, in fact, totally meaningless, since it's just a balance of assets and liabilities ?

Very good. How would Oscar Wilde have put it..?

"To lose one bank may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose two looks like carelessness."

Fantastic

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Can someone explain to me what a strong balance sheet is ? Is it, in fact, totally meaningless, since it's just a balance of assets and liabilities ?

The probably mean "strong" as in "heafty" - or "huge" - or, in other words, "risky". :D

Isnt it a coloured cover you put on a bed ?oh sorry thats a strong valence sheet :)

Does anyone actually think the gov will support the 35k protection limit? Sure if one or two go, we could take it on...but if some big boys go bust...uk couldnt afford it...other countries have suffered this fate in the past...

You are mainly looking for solvency ratio's in a balance sheet, the different between short term currents assets (cash debtors etc) and less liabilities (borrowings, creditors) and hopefully the former should meet the latter.

However I suspect a bank balance sheet is very much a black art, given the tendancy to securitize

off the balance sheet, especially to offshore trusts ala Granite in the case of Northern Rock.

Also a publicly available balance sheet will be already out of date, as a B/S is only a snap shot in time.

Edited by rover2000

Put in its simplest terms, it's when you've got lots of good quality assets (i.e. readily saleable) in relation to your liabilities. For example, if you've got stock & debtors of 30 plus cash of 70, total 100, but you only owe 25, that's strong. If the liabilities are 100 and your cash is only 10, you've probably got problems!

Edited by cartimandua51

A strong balance sheet has good quality assets on it which are accurately valued, and a balanced time structure of assets and liabilities.

Some bank PR people also seem to use the same phrase to mean "we have a strong capital position"; i.e. the size of the asset base is sufficiently small in proportion to those elements of the liability and equity parts of the balance sheet that are counted as capital according to the banking regulations.

Does anyone actually think the gov will support the 35k protection limit? Sure if one or two go, we could take it on...but if some big boys go bust...uk couldnt afford it...other countries have suffered this fate in the past...

I believe that - if all else failed - the treasury would print to underwrite the £35K. I used to think it likely that 100% would be underwritten in practice - but after Brown U-turned Darling's verbal promise to raise the limit to £100K, I'm not sure. It was this reversal of policy which finally convinced me that there is a really big problem. If the limit was a technicality, why would any politician suffer the embarrassment of changing the promise downwards? Why not say that the upwards revision would be phased in over the next 20 years?

How can Darling guarantee all NR's savings accounts and not do the same for HBOS?

That's a tough question... he might have to do something subtle. It's not like New Labour are incapable of spin...