House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mosstrooper

Get Your Pension Out Now

for those of you like me that still have private pension funds heavily invested in equities i assure you tomorrow is your last chance to get out. Today is the LAST suckers rally.

otherwise you will be broke.

i really think the markets will go south big style.

for those of you like me that still have private pension funds heavily invested in equities i assure you tomorrow is your last chance to get out. Today is the LAST suckers rally.

You really spoil that with the last line. Until then it's a prophesy of doom with a Cgnao level of certainty and then we hear it's just a thought, mere opinion. I got shafted by the company my only pension was with so for 6 years' hard toil I stand to recieve a fund of less then 2k, assuming the government compensation thingy actually pays out. Bring on the crash I say!

Or another way of looking at it, if you haven't started saving for your pension, now when prices are low might be a good time to think about putting money aside on a regular basis....who knows...always be winners and losers. ;)

I have a very small private pension - totally inadequate according to everybody. But I simply don't trust the pension companies to deliver the goods. But I'm not stopping my pension, I just don't want to risk a larger sum.

And put it where?

The rule is not to invest money you will need in the near or medium term. Asset markets crash in spectacular style frequently over a person's lifetime. It's only if you're very close to retirement and the market dives might you suffer.

Buying opportunity I reckon. That's what I did in 2003 when the world and his wife were telling me to stay away. The sum I invested is now five times as much even after recent events.

No point pulling your pension you will lose far more in fees than you will do in losses. Markets go up and markets go down. Depending on when you're thinking of retiring the chances are the markets will be recovered by then.

No. Yesterday was THEE day to get yourself into equities. And we will see DOW at 15000 in some months. That's our house view.

Well I´ve got an old endowment maturing in just under 5 years time and I´m already resigned to it being worth sfa all especially after the pound´s demise. I´ve just noticed - change the letters round on sfa and what do you get? About right really.

One of the best pensions, in my view, is to have a house with a couple of spare rooms.

Up to £87 a week can be earned, tax-free, by letting them out.

That's as much again as the Old Age pension.

Might be wise to have a German Shepherd or Rottweiller, though, in case the tenants ever get stroppy.

Edited by PotNoodle

I have a very small private pension - totally inadequate according to everybody. But I simply don't trust the pension companies to deliver the goods. But I'm not stopping my pension, I just don't want to risk a larger sum.

Me too, and quite frankly you can't just pull out your money out of a pension just like that without a lot of hastle.

In my early 50's I believe I'm actually old enough to start drawing it (well half of it) and rest has to be put into an annuity from what I can gather.

No. Yesterday was THEE day to get yourself into equities. And we will see DOW at 15000 in some months. That's our house view.

Sarcasm or hyperinflation?

I'd agree that for the long term, now is a great time to get into equities, they're going to be turbulent for a bit to come, but they are certainly starting to look under valued.

I'd actually like to predict that we've pretty much hit bottom of the stock market, we've had 6-9mnths of bad news, a lot of bad news is already priced in to the market, Bear Stearns was a final nail in the coffin, shares will rally from here.

Property however is royally screwed, it is going down, down, down and will take much longer to recover.

(This is based on nothing but pure guesswork and speculation.)

I'd agree that for the long term, now is a great time to get into equities, they're going to be turbulent for a bit to come, but they are certainly starting to look under valued.

I'd actually like to predict that we've pretty much hit bottom of the stock market, we've had 6-9mnths of bad news, a lot of bad news is already priced in to the market, Bear Stearns was a final nail in the coffin, shares will rally from here.

Property however is royally screwed, it is going down, down, down and will take much longer to recover.

Hmmm. They always say that timing markets is for the professionals, and that the biggest jumps come after the biggest falls...so perhaps you are right...it just doesnt feel quite right...there are a few more corpses yet to be dug up...DJIA today will be interesting.

On a separate note, I've only just started my pension, so these losses shouldnt prove too disasterous.

I think its too early to call a bottom. Were only down what 15% on the indices as a whole. While the bankers have plummeted, the resource companies have soared. As the credit is removed from the system, so will demand for discretionary goods and services. This will result in a significant fall across the board. Commodities will fall, but i dont think we will see 40$ oil again. Probably 60. But given we are bursting the biggest bubble in history, i would expect a bigger drop than 15%. Someone here mentioed that the dow will hit 15k. I just dont see it. Your talking about dollar deflation. But if the dollar tanks, everyone will dump dollar and dollar securities. The Dow will tank. Even if it doesnt, a deflating dollar means rising commodity prices, and thinner margins. Ok if the DJ is heavily resource, then maybe thats a valid scenario, but resource companies will have thiner margins too due to higher energy costs etc. Is that what your thinkg is here? Im struggling to see the positive message here. Yea dollars may lose a bit, but its better than sitting your wealth into a sm that will crash another 30%.

Ok, if we are talking LONG TERM..

The Western Stockmarket boom is well over, at least in real terms. And the Housing boom. It will probably never go to the same highs again in our lifetime (In REAL terms, not in nominal terms). This is because of DEMOGRAPHICS. Stock values and House values rise with the rise in real earning potential of a population. (ie proportion of people in the 35-45 age bracket - their maximum earnings and savings potential) Japans' Real earning/savings poential peaked before ours. Their stock market and housing market have since embarked on a long long slide as the population ages, retires and draws back on their savings/investments/welfare etc.. the US, Western Europe, and Australia/NZ peaked in around 2000.. they will go the same way. There will be recoveries along the way, but they are unlikely to ever fully go back to the period of abundance we have just seen. If you want to look at where to invest your money for the LONG TERM, you should look to those countries that have their demographic peaks ahead of them. China will peak relatively soon 5-10 years. Brazil will peak in 20 years. No peak in sight in India, although eventually infinite population expansion run into a fatal collision course with finite worlds resources and then all bets are off..

The Chancellor should immediately freeze all pensions in order that the Banking system can recover from recent events.

A run on Pensions would decimate the housing market, and force House Prices to Crash to more affordable levels in price, but less affordable to first time buyers as lenders would have exited the market.

Well I just added another 5k to my ftse all share based pension yesterday. Its a pension so i'm definately in it for the long run. Unlike BTL I just pay a lump sum in when I want to, or before the end of the tax year to avoid paying tax at 40%. So yes, in effect the government top up my 5K with a further 2K. Equities would have to fall a fair bit for me to break even on that basis.

I'd agree it is probably a bit too late for most people to move investment funds around within a pension scheme, but look at it as an opportunity to be purchasing undervalued units which will gain considerably if you still have at least 5 years to go before you need to drawdown or purchase an annuity.

If you have an online pension scheme that allows you to switch funds at will then you could consider purchasing the cash or interest funds and then buying back into equities at a later date (hopefully as they start an extended bull run).

Burned on three private pensions in the past, I have zero faith in them. Self serving, commission driven 'advice' from brokers; front loaded charges; high ongoing management fees; poorly performing managers puting your cash into duff funds; any tax relief on putting money in being negated by your being taxed on what you finally draw; compulsory annuity which is predicted to delline as people live longer; total loss of pension 'pot' when annuity is finally taken and so on.

Go for a property you enjoy living in as a permanent home; save regularly into cash ISA's; any windfalls into secure fixed rate bonds. Accept your savings growing by 5-6%, and forget any daydreams of sudden riches from shares or HPI.

Walk away from anyone telling you 'that historically equities or pensions based on them have performed better than ... blah, blah'. This assumes that the future will always conform to the patterns of the past. In many ways it will not. Turkeys looking back on their survival for the last 11 months may deduce that the next eleven months are secure. They are not - it's a week until Xmas.

Enjoy life while making modest and risk free preparations for the future.

DOW 15000. LOL.

0317.h10.jpg

Burned on three private pensions in the past, I have zero faith in them. Self serving, commission driven 'advice' from brokers; front loaded charges; high ongoing management fees; poorly performing managers puting your cash into duff funds; any tax relief on putting money in being negated by your being taxed on what you finally draw; compulsory annuity which is predicted to delline as people live longer; total loss of pension 'pot' when annuity is finally taken and so on.

Go for a property you enjoy living in as a permanent home; save regularly into cash ISA's; any windfalls into secure fixed rate bonds. Accept your savings growing by 5-6%, and forget any daydreams of sudden riches from shares or HPI.

Walk away from anyone telling you 'that historically equities or pensions based on them have performed better than ... blah, blah'. This assumes that the future will always conform to the patterns of the past. In many ways it will not. Turkeys looking back on their survival for the last 11 months may deduce that the next eleven months are secure. They are not - it's a week until Xmas.

Enjoy life while making modest and risk free preparations for the future.

Very good post - especially the last line.

No today is the day to post predictions without providing any rational.

I will avatar prop bet anyone who thinks dow is 1500 within 10 months.

The next year or two looks good for investing in equities, I did the same in 03-04 when people were shunning ISAs. If the FTSE goes below 5300 I'm in.

I've been moving my pensions into my SIPP so I can make/lose my own money without advisors to charge me for the same privilage.

I've been buying bank shares and shorting wheat, it's high risk but I'm pretty certain that:

a. Banks will weather the storm as the fundamentals look OK.

b. Farmers will plant more wheat.

The next year or two looks good for investing in equities, I did the same in 03-04 when people were shunning ISAs. If the FTSE goes below 5300 I'm in.

I've been moving my pensions into my SIPP so I can make/lose my own money without advisors to charge me for the same privilage.

I've been buying bank shares and shorting wheat, it's high risk but I'm pretty certain that:

a. Banks will weather the storm as the fundamentals look OK.

b. Farmers will plant more wheat.

The Wheat Shortage is due to poor weather in Australia and the US, a lack of biproducts that create fertilizer from the oil industry, and the insatiable appetite of the emerging economies to feed their people on something more than just rice.

I would not be shorting Wheat, like Oil the only way is up hereon.

No today is the day to post predictions without providing any rational.

I will avatar prop bet anyone who thinks dow is 1500 within 10 months.

An 87.5% drop in 10 months :blink:

Seems unlikely, but there may be a greater fool out there somewhere. ;)