House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TheCountOfNowhere

Is This Illegal

I've noticed something fishy happening on rightmove using property bee...

This place:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-188...16&tr_t=buy

was advertised change:

12nd Mar 2008 this property Price changed: from '£144,995' to '£140,000'

then on:

17th Mar 2008

* Price changed: from '£140,000' to '£145,000'

* Brief Description changed: Hitting UNDER OFFER...................Hitting all the right buttons in a popular location in Abington moments from the Wellingborough Road, this sensational two bedroomed house with neutral interiors and period features also benefits from a 40ft garden. Freehold. Read more...

So they have got an offer and re-advertised the asking price as higher !!!!!

Surely this cant be legal ?

I've contacted the agent, via rightmove and said:

"Hi. I notice that on:

Then on the 17th it went under offer and the price went back up to £145K.

This smells very fish to me and I plan to contact trading standard and the local press about this."

I'll be bringing this to the attention of trading standards also.

"Hi. I notice that on:

This smells very fish to me and I plan to contact trading standard and the local press about this."

It's a "vendor paid deposit". I bet you a good amount of money the price agreed is £143k, with an imaginary £7k added to the valuation price, in order to pretend to the lender there is a 5% deposit.

It's a "vendor paid deposit". I bet you a good amount of money the price agreed is £143k, with an imaginary £7k added to the valuation price, in order to pretend to the lender there is a 5% deposit.

What ever it is it looks like another sneaky EA ploy to make people think prices are higher than they are.

I've reported them to trading standards to they might get a good hard slap.

I've noticed something fishy happening on rightmove using property bee...

This place:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-188...16&tr_t=buy

was advertised change:

then on:

17th Mar 2008

* Price changed: from '£140,000' to '£145,000'

* Brief Description changed: Hitting UNDER OFFER...................Hitting all the right buttons in a popular location in Abington moments from the Wellingborough Road, this sensational two bedroomed house with neutral interiors and period features also benefits from a 40ft garden. Freehold. Read more...

So they have got an offer and re-advertised the asking price as higher !!!!!

Surely this cant be legal ?

I've contacted the agent, via rightmove and said:

"Hi. I notice that on:

One of the most fishy things I have noticed sing Property Bee is the number of properties that have sprouted an extra bedroom!!

One of the most fishy things I have noticed sing Property Bee is the number of properties that have sprouted an extra bedroom!!

In larger houses, the number of "bedrooms" can be pretty arbitrary: Is that one you currently use as a home office/study a bedroom? What about the kid's playroom?

I don't think that this is "fishy" - the number of rooms in the house are not changing, just what you call them, you may vary this as you wish, surely?

You would vary how you advertise according to who you are trying to sell to: to a family you would emphasise the "extra" rooms, to an investor you would call as many rooms as possible "bedrooms".

In larger houses, the number of "bedrooms" can be pretty arbitrary: Is that one you currently use as a home office/study a bedroom? What about the kid's playroom?

I don't think that this is "fishy" - the number of rooms in the house are not changing, just what you call them, you may vary this as you wish, surely?

You would vary how you advertise according to who you are trying to sell to: to a family you would emphasise the "extra" rooms, to an investor you would call as many rooms as possible "bedrooms".

I think they should give as a matter of course the total useable plan area of the floor space in the building. This is the most important factor, and what, I believe, most estate agents base the majority of their valuation on.

This is what should be on the top of everybodies asking list.

Guest AuntJess

I noted a bungy - in my neck of the woods - which was up for 269K: It then dropped to 250K but two weeks later it was 269K again!! :o

I think what had happened was that they wanted a quick sale and 'cos buyers weren't flocking to their door they dropped it, only to find that the savvy buyers - noting the 93% ratio of selling-to-asking ratio in this area - were probably only offering 232K!!

So they upped it back, in order to get the 250K that they are prepared to take.

Just my take of course. :rolleyes:

I think they should give as a matter of course the total useable plan area of the floor space in the building. This is the most important factor, and what, I believe, most estate agents base the majority of their valuation on.

This is the case in Switzerland. An Apartment/House is advertised as "95sq.m 3 rooms". Oviously, kitchens/baths are excluded...

I noted a bungy - in my neck of the woods - which was up for 269K: It then dropped to 250K but two weeks later it was 269K again!! :o

In EA terminology this is known as the "yoyo effect" .

Edited by grey shark

Guest AuntJess
In EA terminology this is known as the "yoyo effect" .

what is the point of it tho'... I mean from their point of view? :blink:

what is the point of it tho'... I mean from their point of view? :blink:

Id love to know the answer as well - theres loads of it going on down Poole way too and I just cannot see the point of it!

Guest happy?
This is the case in Switzerland. An Apartment/House is advertised as "95sq.m 3 rooms". Oviously, kitchens/baths are excluded...

Standard in most of Europe and my (limited) experience of the US. The number of '3 bed bungalows' in my neck of the woods which are two bed plus two receptions is countless. Why we ended-up with the farce of HIPS when we could have had a standardised sales pack e.g. floorplan, floor area in sq ft / sq m - I can't imagine - unless of course you include the lobbying of the usual VI's.