House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Doctor Gloom

Hawthorn Meadows, Isle Of Wight

The Victorians didn't do it, the Romans didn't do it either, even the Isle of Wight festival goers won't even camp there.

I think you get the idea, its not until NOW that this site is developed, unlike no other part of the Medina on the East Cowes side until you get to Newport some 5 or 6 miles away will you hit another development (which would have been built on safer reclaimed land.)

I spoke to my neighbour who as a child some many years ago used to play on this land near the river and called it a funny name which escapes me. The reason being is that the land was spongy and boggy, mainly due to poor drainage and water table saturation constantly running into the Medina.

Not until now has anyone built on this land, for a reason perhaps? Lovely river views were ignored for centuries in favour of higher ground developments in East Cowes, mainly because slippage is a real problem.

I understand recently surveyors have given some Barratt developments a lifespan of a mere 25 years before major repairs and structural problems become apparent and troublesome to repair. I guess this isn't based on the type of land which they are built on.

I give Hawthorn Meadows a lifespan of only 10 years before slippage and cracks, subsidance becomes unlivable.

It is evident from the throw them up everywhere attitude that no care would be taken in the building as long as they last past the guarentee, by that time Barratts would have moved on etc etc.

AVOID THESE SOCIAL SLUMS BEFORE THEY BECOME TOO APPARENT.

I do not support the veiw of some of my friends that the planners on the Isle of Wight are corrupt and taking backhanders from developers. Recent articles in the Private Eye magazine about the local council are all based on lies. All the senior officers sacked by the council for naughty things are innocent. The surveyors who inspected the new Barratts development at Osborne Heights and said it would be a miracle if they lasted twenty years should be hounded out of office. Rant over.

If people want to buy on boggy swampland then let them. Live and live :lol:

I do not support the veiw of some of my friends that the planners on the Isle of Wight are corrupt and taking backhanders from developers. Recent articles in the Private Eye magazine about the local council are all based on lies. All the senior officers sacked by the council for naughty things are innocent. The surveyors who inspected the new Barratts development at Osborne Heights and said it would be a miracle if they lasted twenty years should be hounded out of office. Rant over.

I'm afraid that corruption on LEAs re planning is a lot more widespread than most people care to admit. There are few councillors who sit on Planning Committees who do not end up a lot richer than when they started. Just a redrawing of the permitted development area, known in advance, can allow an acreage of farmland to be purchased for £5,000-10,000/acre and sold for millions.

There was a TV documentary about just such corruption in Cornwall. It provoked a bit of a backlash at the time, then everything settled back down and now the pigs are back at the trough.

I don't know who I hate more, Barratts or Charles Church.

Although the development in Carisbrooke (behind Sainsburys for islanders) seems a well built one and is still new, how many for sale signs less than a year after the initial sales.

Something we don't know?

Guest happy?
The Victorians didn't do it, the Romans didn't do it either, even the Isle of Wight festival goers won't even camp there.

I think you get the idea, its not until NOW that this site is developed, unlike no other part of the Medina on the East Cowes side until you get to Newport some 5 or 6 miles away will you hit another development (which would have been built on safer reclaimed land.)

I spoke to my neighbour who as a child some many years ago used to play on this land near the river and called it a funny name which escapes me. The reason being is that the land was spongy and boggy, mainly due to poor drainage and water table saturation constantly running into the Medina....

Could you not just get osmosis treatment instead of a DPC?