House Price Crash Forum
Paddles

Greenshoots-ometer

I'm posting this thread as an occasional one to be resurrected whenever we spot the phrase "Green shoots of recovery" in the media.

Why? Because the phrase is associated with desperation from vested interests.

For those too young to be around the first time, here's a quick history lesson courtesy of Wiki;

(Norman) Lamont replaced Major as Chancellor in Major's new Cabinet, thereby finalising his commitment to Major's exchange rate policy. Lamont claimed that the recession would be "short-lived and relatively shallow" and later that "the green shoots of recovery" could be seen all around - early in 1992 one of the Sunday newspapers ran a "Green Shoots Index" of signs of recovery, only to have to drop it when few such signs could be found. Despite the Conservatives' surprise victory in the April 1992 general election the ERM policy proved unsustainable and collapsed on Black Wednesday, when Lamont was forced to withdraw the pound from the ERM despite assuring the public that he would not do so just a week earlier.

So, back to the present day; the match programme at Saturday's rugby match between England and Ireland used the phrase (see below) but not with reference to the economy.

The Sunday Telegraph look to have won the award for the first use relating to house prices in this laughable piece of spin by Graham Norwood; http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/main.j.../pspring116.xml

Daffodils line the roadsides when in theory they should not. Likewise, following the mild winter, property fortunes are showing green shoots of recovery just as we may have been thinking the harsh frost of a downturn had set in for the year.

So, keep 'em peeled fellow HPCers. Let's find the desperation and expose it!

Green_Shoots.pdf

Green_Shoots.pdf

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

I shot green once.

Never slept with a Russian since.

From todays Peston column. I'm sure he must read HPC forums.

"PS.Traumatised by the snows of spring, this column will go into sleep mode for a few days. Here’s hoping for warmer winds and green shoots on my return."

From todays Peston column. I'm sure he must read HPC forums.

"PS.Traumatised by the snows of spring, this column will go into sleep mode for a few days. Here’s hoping for warmer winds and green shoots on my return."

I suspect, given snowfall in london two nights ago, that he's talking about the weather...

I suspect, given snowfall in london two nights ago, that he's talking about the weather...

I suspect you are not familiar with the concept of a tongue in cheek comment.

In Northern Ireland they have talked of nothing but "Green Shoots."

Before admitting to the problem properly of course.

Other classics from NI "Investors will be rubbing their hands with glee"

I could go on...

snip

Other classics from NI "Investors will be rubbing their hands with glee"

I could go on...

Investors with CASH may well be. Its those that borrow to invest money they never had that are shafted.

Even so, even cash buyer will be holding off for quite a while I suspect.

Investors with CASH may well be. Its those that borrow to invest money they never had that are shafted.

Even so, even cash buyer will be holding off for quite a while I suspect.

The only reason to buy with cash now would be an "ahead of the curve" opportunity eg 20% below asking price (then of course these deals create the curve - lurrrvly)

I fully expect to be bludgeoned to death with the word 'Fundamentals' over the next 3-4 months, after which even the most two-faced VIs will sit down, light up a fag and say 'feck it, it's over'.

How about the orange carrots of depression? or some other downward growing veg. Potatoes of doom???

Green shoots of recovery eaten alive by the Great Slug of Debt?

How about the orange carrots of depression? or some other downward growing veg. Potatoes of doom???

I have attached a carrot of depression for anyone who cares.

Don't google carrot of doom that was just strange not really internet strange but strange that someone else thought of it. I have scared myself now :)

carrotofdepression.jpg

post-5649-1207657415_thumb.jpg

Can I suggest turnips? Think Germany during 1916-17. Pretty bloody depressing.

Black Flyday --bad day on chinese stock market

Edited by Bloo Loo

The brussels sprouts stench of lie-to-buy ?

Thanks for the fun - I guess we should all now return the current programme of green shoots. aka the original thread :)

I do like the turbulent times turnip though - turnips are a good figure of fun and know that wasnt a finger of fudge.

I think you want a daikon:

radish.jpgdaikon2b.jpg

We could start off with the radishes of recession and then move on to the daikons of depression if things got worse.

Edited by Scunnered

How about the orange carrots of depression?

HELP please....... I missed this thread, & now there are tears rolling.

Why do I find that so funny?

No, don't tell me

It's brilliant. ROFL

Sometimes this forum is worth the annual fee everyday