House Price Crash Forum
Realistbear

Brown: We Schhhall Fight The Turbulence, We Schaaall Stand Firm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7301163.stm

Last Updated: Monday, 17 March 2008, 16:29 GMT

UK will fight turbulence - we shall never give up Brown

Mr Brown pledges action to combat the financial upheaval
Prime Minister Gordon Brown has promised that the UK and other EU countries will "lead the way" in fighting "global financial turbulence".
He told MPs that an EU summit at the weekend had agreed "co-ordinated action at a European and global level".

Better emulate Winston to rally the sheeple behind you in these times of disaster you and your fellow turkeys caused through a decade of miracle economics.

The guy is a joke, he helped this mess get far worse over his reign as TB's shadow.

An unelected PM, who i guess will go on to be the most unpopular PM to date! If he is already not now today.

Ah, it's that "global" turbulence which is causing the problem.

Is that the political equivalent of "some big boys did it and ran away"?

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/busi...icle3566164.ece

Today, US President, George W. Bush, attempted to reassure the shaken markets after meeting with Henry Paulson, the US Treasury Secretary, and Ben Bernanke, chairman of the US Fed.

President Bush said he backed the decision to bail out Bear Stearns, adding that “in the long run,” the US economy “is going to be fine” and that “the US is on top of the situation".

He said: “Our financial institutions are strong and our capital markets are functioning efficiently and effectively.” President Bush said the US Government will continue to monitor the situation closely.

orly-750116.jpg

Brown's problem is that he IS one of them.

Funny thing, but if TB stepped back into No. 10 we might actually fare a little better. If ever there was a time when leadership, confidence and world standing was required of our leader it is now. Brown is just not up to the job. At least TB was elected for the full 5 years.

"We schaal fight them in the exchanges, we schaal fight them in the board rooms"

With what I'm not quite sure.

with lies and low IR ?

I am in the process of reading "The Great Crash 1929" by J K Galbraith. It is an excellent book, but the scariest thing is the parallels between then and now. Ole Gordy boy sounds llike President Hoover, just before it all went belly up. The quotations from the great and the good of yesteryear are being repeated daily like an incantation, "sound fundamentals, strong economy, never been a better time to buy, rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb", history repeats itself me thinks.

I am in the process of reading "The Great Crash 1929" by J K Galbraith. It is an excellent book, but the scariest thing is the parallels between then and now. Ole Gordy boy sounds llike President Hoover, just before it all went belly up. The quotations from the great and the good of yesteryear are being repeated daily like an incantation, "sound fundamentals, strong economy, never been a better time to buy, rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb", history repeats itself me thinks.

STOP READING THIS BOOK IMMEDIATELY!!!!

I read it 3 months ago and I've been in a constant state of anxiety and panic ever since due to the almost uncanny similarities between then and now.

It starts off describing a Florida housing/land bubble and gets rapidly worse. To make matters worse, there's no car chases or sex scenes.

On the 24th of October 1929, the first day of the stock market panic, one Mr Winston Churchill (former Chancellor of the Exchequer) was in the visitors gallery of the New York Stock Exchange. He had returned Britain to the Gold Standard in 1925, which resulted in the overvalued pound. Apparently this move caused a demand for easy money in New York, and subsequently fed the speculative boom, which died in October 1929. He gets everywhere that Winston.........

I read it 3 months ago and I've been in a constant state of anxiety and panic ever since due to the almost uncanny similarities between then and now.

It starts off describing a Florida housing/land bubble and gets rapidly worse. To make matters worse, there's no car chases or sex scenes.

rule of thumb- if there's no pictures then put the book down

And in the words of the great historian Hegel: the only thing we learn from history is that we DO NOT learn from history.

Brown's legacy will be as the one who led this country down the path to depression. Blair will be remembered not for Iraq, but for allowing Brown to do his work without proper supervision. The buck, Mr. Blair, stopped with you.

Could it have been avoided? Not completely but had prudence been applied to the property market it would have been fare less severe.

I can't help it, every time I turn a page the situation goes from bad to worse and someone is either ruined, or commiting suicide, or both. In amongst this mayhem the authorities and those who wield power stand alone spouting inanities in a futile attempt to "talk up the market". Obviously it doesn't work because what gets leveraged, will eventually be de-leveraged, it's simple arithmetic really.

I wonder who will be writing the books about the Great Crash of 2008......

[

Prime Minister Gordon Brown has promised that the UK and other EU countries will "lead the way" in fighting "global financial turbulence".

He told MPs that an EU summit at the weekend had agreed "co-ordinated action at a European and global level".

Plan A --- print more money

Plan B ---- ummm.... print more money

Plan C ---- errrrr .. try Plan A again

Yes, an excellent book. I read it as a teenager and it certainly influenced my thinking and behaviour. Watching the parallels with the dot com bust and the property bust have been fascinating.

I can't help it, every time I turn a page the situation goes from bad to worse and someone is either ruined, or commiting suicide, or both.

In these more enlightened times, they just skip off to the Caymans.

Guest vicmac64
Brown's problem is that he IS one of them.

Funny thing, but if TB stepped back into No. 10 we might actually fare a little better. If ever there was a time when leadership, confidence and world standing was required of our leader it is now. Brown is just not up to the job. At least TB was elected for the full 5 years.

TB is just as responsible - a man with no scruples other than advancing hmself monetarily... a real waster and no patriot........ lump him with the shim sham men!

Mr Brown pledges action to combat the financial upheaval

In other news King ***** promised to lead the way in fighting incoming tides pledging to create the conditions that will lead to a stable coastline.

Edited by davidg