House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
manchesterwill

Manchester City Centre

Hello!

I think I posted my previous thread in the wrong section, so i'm reposting it here!

I am looking to move into a Studio / one bedroomed apartment located in Manchester city centre in around 4-5 months time.

Parking is essential for me

I figure I can afford one at around 600 p/m at the most, there seem to be some nice ones around for that mark!

Do you think the prices will be down atall by September when i'm ready to take things further.

Also i'm concerned about service charges and find it difficult to estimate what they're going to be.

Does anyone have any advice etc (i'm 21 and this will be me flying away from the nest!)

Thank you in advance smile.gif

Hello!

I think I posted my previous thread in the wrong section, so i'm reposting it here!

I am looking to move into a Studio / one bedroomed apartment located in Manchester city centre in around 4-5 months time.

Parking is essential for me

I figure I can afford one at around 600 p/m at the most, there seem to be some nice ones around for that mark!

Do you think the prices will be down atall by September when i'm ready to take things further.

Also i'm concerned about service charges and find it difficult to estimate what they're going to be.

Does anyone have any advice etc (i'm 21 and this will be me flying away from the nest!)

Here's my advice. You're 21. Enjoy your life and forget about housing. Get a room in a shared house, live it up till you're ready to settle down. I'd say move to London too, the weathers better, the nightlifes better, the facilities are better, the money is better, lots of interesting people to meet. Then when you're ready to buy a house in 10 years time you can buy one in london at the bottom of the crash and make a fortune 5 years later and retire up North on the proceeds.

Oh, and stay sober when you go out on the town and talk to as many pretty girls as you can, i wish someone had given me that advice when I was 21.

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

Hello!

You don't say - I am hoping you are thinking of renting, not buying.

The service charge is usually included in the rent - always check though.

You will have to pay the council tax.

The advertised rent can sometimes be negotiated

and as I guess there will be a few to choose from - put in low offers to 3 or 4 - see who bites.

I visited a friend in studio flat in salford, chapel street - 15 minutes walk from the city centre - and I believe it was less than 600 maybe 500?

Someone else I know looked at a 1 bed on oldham street at £850. So there is a lot of variability depending on location, size and quality.

advice? -

Stay out of debt.

The less stuff you have - the easier it is to move.

I am not interested in buying, merely renting.

The reason behind this being living in Marple it's annoying getting to Manchester to go out, and I wont my own place, my own independence etc!

I work and will be paying for this myself, 'debt' doesn't come into it!

I'm not sure what talking to pretty girls sober has to do with anything, but living closer to the city will give me more oppertunitys I guess. (not that I have any problems with girls as it is :D)......(apart from having to take them back to my parents!!)

hehe

Hi

If you are thinking of renting, you do not have to worry about service charges as these are the responibility of the landlord. You will have to pay council tax (approx £110 per month) for all occupants within the flat + water/gas/elec.

Prices will prob not be down by september but you never know, there are absolutly tons of empty city centre flats at the moment.

The northen quarter is central and pretty funky

FH

Cheers Harry,

110 per month for council tax - ouch!

is there any way to avoid it?

if so what are the consequences if caught?

theres a 25% discount if your in there on your own isn't there?

also theres a low income discount too i've read.

so the service charge is only applicable to the actual owner not the person renting?

Forget the city centre. Get yourself in a shared house in Chorlton/Withington/Didsbury. All only 3-4 miles away from town and lots going on.

I live in a shared house in Chorlton and pay about £350 quid for rent/bills/council tax. Lots more money for saving/enjoying yourself....

There are tons of empty buy to let flats in the city centre. So view plenty and ignore the asking prices. Make offers well below asking prices and if they don't take it move on to the next one. Ignore agents who say they won't drop. If it is a choice between taking a lower rent from you or not being able to pay their mortgage they'll take the lower rent. So offer say £200 less than asking. Good luck.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/new...osition_to_club

Beetham might get cheaper in the future.

:)

A SUPERCLUB hosting massive raves is set to open next door to one of Manchester's most exclusive properties.

The 2,500-capacity club - which would open all night in a car park under railway arches behind the Beetham Tower - would stage dance and live music events on up to 20 weekends a year.

Here's my advice. You're 21. Enjoy your life and forget about housing. Get a room in a shared house, live it up till you're ready to settle down. I'd say move to London too, the weathers better, the nightlifes better, the facilities are better, the money is better, lots of interesting people to meet. Then when you're ready to buy a house in 10 years time you can buy one in london at the bottom of the crash and make a fortune 5 years later and retire up North on the proceeds.

Oh, and stay sober when you go out on the town and talk to as many pretty girls as you can, i wish someone had given me that advice when I was 21.

You forgot to mention, please use a condom.

why are you trolling Manchester posts dissing the city ?? - Prat

A SUPERCLUB hosting massive raves is set to open next door to one of Manchester's most exclusive properties.

The 2,500-capacity club - which would open all night in a car park under railway arches behind the Beetham Tower - would stage dance and live music events on up to 20 weekends a year.

why would someone on the 28th floor care what was happening a street level ?? - bizzare

I'm grateful to Manchesterwill for starting this thread, although it didn't turn out to be quite what I expected.

This is my first post and I thought this forum would be raging with the debate about what's really going on in Mancs. I moved to Manchester for work (subsidised relocation) and a better life, leaving behind my own place in London, now tenanted. So I became a landlord by default rather than BTL. Letting flats to nice tenants in London is not difficult if the area is right and the price is reasonable. It raises enough to cover either rent or a mortgage here in Manchester city centre, and choice is usually preferable to no choice. But having been through the last three recessions, I have never seen such a chaotic market as here. It's lawless, unless you count the laws of supply and demand. It is so volatile that I doubt anyone knows the best thing to do (except BTL of course!)

The city centre (northern quarter at any rate) is fun, funky and bohemian and it seems that most flats are occupied in buildings already established. This one is in good nick and has a steady turnover except where the landlord is greedy and unrealistic.

It is the new-builds outside the city centre (or a "stone's throw" as they will have you believe) which amaze. Massive new developments going up at "New Islington" (clapped out Old Ancoats), the "Green Quarter" (you'd have to be green), Chips (cheap as chips? not yet) and so on, flooding an oversaturated market teetering ont the edge of mass repossession. Then moving out into Salford and "Sportscity"), great behemoths still going up on the horizon. The planning permissions were granted aroud 2003-04 before the downturn set in and people had got greedy. So they are priced accordingly: £270k+ not uncommon for an average flat at the very time that BTL and even first-time buying is coming to an end. Some of them are already being mothballed, others vandalised. No rents or service charges, no TLC. It is nothing short of a modern urban disaster.

It also illustrates the extreme regional, even zonal, nature of the housing market. I am an urban economic geographer whose priority is to have a nice roof over my own head first before I think about subsidising someone else's through buy to let. There is gross oversupply on the sites I mentioned, and Albion Mills is agood illustration of what the will look like. Chilly, windswept, no facilities: 2-bedroom hutches for the middle-income tenants who no longer exist. Meanwhile Chorlton, Didisbury and older city centre flats look buoyant.

I think I'll sit on my hands and admire the view of the Pennines while my poor old landlord pays for a city centre life that I'd struggle to afford out of my own pocket.

Does anyone have other suggestions, and might this in fact be a good time to buy?

Mancunian Way

It's not a good time to buy yet.

Are you planning on buying near the Mancy way?

I think I said I wasn't looking to buy at all, and certainly not near the Manky Way, "highway in the sky" as they called it when it opened. No I want to live somewhere nice

It's not a good time to buy yet.

Are you planning on buying near the Mancy way?

Speaking of mancunian way, have you seen that hideous one that's currently not being built very fast? It looks like its made of long multi-coloured tiles, like a cheap ikea rug: http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/70114178. Awful.

Personally and if I've said this once, I've said it a thousand times, I just don't know where the money in manchester is coming from. Forget the footballers, z-list hollyoakers and proper professionals. I'm talking about the proles who buy into all this city lifestyle boo-hockey. The designer clothes, the crappy restaurants and the over-priced poncey beer. I'm doing alright and I can't keep up with all the slack-jawed chancers I see when I'm (infrequently) out.

If it goes wrong, its going to go very wrong in Manchester.

Good post but do you not answer your own question?

Regards

Sox

Thank you sox, I don't know the answer to my question which is why I posed it. But I tend in my overview to stick to renting and avoid these ghastly developments that won't get finished or will be plain awful slums when they ever are. Proper NQ (not "borders") is as good as Didsbury until you want kids. I got 5 mins walk to work now, compared to years of London commuting, home for lunch, views, bliss. some places will always do well. Location?

It will get cheaper because it is worth less (not worthless, but getting there). There was that scam that some people believed about room service available from the Hilton downstairs which turned out to be predictable rubbish churned out for the gullible. Saw a place in there getting flogged off at £245k so it's on the slide. What must the costs of keeping up a building of that scale be?

Speaking of mancunian way, have you seen that hideous one that's currently not being built very fast? It looks like its made of long multi-coloured tiles, like a cheap ikea rug: http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/70114178. Awful.

Personally and if I've said this once, I've said it a thousand times, I just don't know where the money in manchester is coming from. Forget the footballers, z-list hollyoakers and proper professionals. I'm talking about the proles who buy into all this city lifestyle boo-hockey. The designer clothes, the crappy restaurants and the over-priced poncey beer. I'm doing alright and I can't keep up with all the slack-jawed chancers I see when I'm (infrequently) out.

If it goes wrong, its going to go very wrong in Manchester.

I thought it was intended as uni accomodation, as it seems very close to that neck of the woods.

I know a few baby boomers that are acquaintances of my mother that have lived to regret their city centre pads in Manchester over the last year or so. They sold up and 'downsized', only to discover the neighbouring apartments were purchased by BTL 'investors' with little in the way of scruples when it came to how they obtained their rent. :lol:

I am in the middle of buying a 2 bed 2 bath 1000sq ft NQ apartment, in a warehouse conversion- paying only £4k more than the BTL investor who is selling it did 5 years ago. I'm happy.

Agree with previous comments about over-priced shoe boxes "a stones throw" from the city centre tho.

I am in the middle of buying a 2 bed 2 bath 1000sq ft NQ apartment, in a warehouse conversion- paying only £4k more than the BTL investor who is selling it did 5 years ago. I'm happy.

Agree with previous comments about over-priced shoe boxes "a stones throw" from the city centre tho.

Sorry to be nosey huggable, but what have you got your sights on?