House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Tulip

Co-op 6.62% 1 Year Bond - Might Be Worth It

I am not certain but I believe the Co-op do not have much exposure to all this nonsense.

Well spotted, TMT!

I'm just mulling over whether to put any money into one of these. At present, quite a lot of my savings are already in one or other fixed-term (typically 1-year) account like this, and I'm wondering whether or not I really want to tie any more up in one of these sorts of things, or leave more of my savings 'liquid'...

I guess it all depends upon what the interest rates are going to do over the next year. If they drop, then grabbing as many of these 6%+ 1-year things will've been a good idea. However, if they rise, I'll probably regret not having more of my money in instant-access so as to take full advantage.

It's a tricky one. Do you have any thoughts?

All my money is in instant access currently but I am getting pretty close to putting 30K into the Co-op 12 month and 20K into the Lloyds 12 month fixed ISA. My gut keeps telling me that IRs will have to rise but as I look around I am seeing the US hellbent on lowering IRs and then the UK following like a puppy.

Can't be of any more help I am afraid. I don't like the idea of having my money tied up - if hosues went through a BIG crash all of a sudden between now and the end of the year, and I then wanted to buy, my cash would be tied up. Then again, if you tie up now at 6% you might be thankful 6 months from now that you did.

I don't like the idea of having my money tied up - if hosues went through a BIG crash all of a sudden between now and the end of the year, and I then wanted to buy, my cash would be tied up. Then again, if you tie up now at 6% you might be thankful 6 months from now that you did.

I'd say that now is the time to tie up at 6% if you can get it. The crash is only just beginning this year and 12 months from now will have gained even more momentum. As per your first post, the Co-op is probably safer than most of the other banks.

I took out a Co-op 12 month bond today - staff said they have been swamped for them. Also transferred my ISAs into LloydsTSB 12 month fixed.

I did actually ring them with a view to putting a modest amount into a 12-month fixed thingy, but was on hold and in a queue for about five mins or so before thinking I'd perhaps try another day!

As you say, they sound busy... Good for them! :)