House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Willy Weasel

Should We Be Buying Agricultural Land?

I may have been on this site too long now as I am starting to believe that we are facing the possibility of a complete breakdown in society at the end of all this. In those circumstances isn't the ownership of land (for producing energy and food) going to be absolutely critical? I don't mean residential land, of course, but agricultural land, the value of which has changed very little.

Should we all be buying land whilst people are still selling?

Guest X-QUORK
I may have been on this site too long now as I am starting to believe that we are facing the possibility of a complete breakdown in society at the end of all this. In those circumstances isn't the ownership of land (for producing energy and food) going to be absolutely critical? I don't mean residential land, of course, but agricultural land, the value of which has changed very little.

If things get as bad as you suspect, ownership will be decided by weaponry, not land deeds.

If we´re going down the armageddon route (again!), it might be an idea to do some research about seeds. Fortunately, we have a seed scientist in our community, and we can dig up the communal gardens for fruit and veg. But I'll be gutted if we have to use the swimming pool to keep fish in! :lol:

Guest Skint Academic
But I'll be gutted if we have to use the swimming pool to keep fish in! :lol:

Not as gutted as the fish will be with all that chlorine in the water. You'd have to give them a pair of goggles each to stop it stinging their eyes! ;)

Guest Steve Cook

YES

I thought I read on here recently that agricultural land prices were no longer strong. Anyway, ag land is realtively cheap compared to other land categories and worth having if you've got a use for it. I'd buy a few acres if it came up for sale near where I live.

Not as gutted as the fish will be with all that chlorine in the water. You'd have to give them a pair of goggles each to stop it stinging their eyes! ;)

We might be a bit backward here in Almería, but we do realise we´d have to change the water. :lol: I think the filtration system might have to be modified too. Interesting variety of fish to choose from and plenty of local fruit and veg from all the plasticos. A bit short on carbohydrates though!

Guest Steve Cook
If things get as bad as you suspect, ownership will be decided by weaponry, not land deeds.

You are correct. However, whilst the rule of law holds, is it not a good idea to use that law to obtain such land? If things get so bad that force becomes the law and order of the day, then yes, people will have different methods of keeping or obtaining it. However, I would rather be in a position of having to defend my land as opposed to trying to get it off someone else.

Steve

Edited by Steve Cook

Depends whether you are going to work it. Before weaponry becomes the deciding factor the Govt will intervene by taking control of land so only those actually farming can hold it - reasonable enough if people are starving; you don't want people who just happened to have enough cash at the right time hoarding unproductive land. Shades of WW2!

The Mad Max scenario is a bit further down the line!

I would say absolutely!!! My dad panicked me back along when he toyed with the idea of selling the farm, he paid £325k for it in 2000 and was offered over a mill for it last year. Land values have trebled and if things carry on the way they are going and as some on here have suggested we will be ever more dependant on it for food and fuel. If you can afford to buy land I say go for it! Bullock prices have trebled in the past couple of years too, glad I bought mine when I did or I would of been priced out of that as well as the housing market!

Guest grumpy-old-man

ah ha, glad to see you have seen the light tuffers. ;)

people won't be mocking us 'doom mongers' about total breakdown of society in 3-4 years time.

Unprecedented times we are in right now....

Guest Steve Cook
Depends whether you are going to work it. Before weaponry becomes the deciding factor the Govt will intervene by taking control of land so only those actually farming can hold it - reasonable enough if people are starving; you don't want people who just happened to have enough cash at the right time hoarding unproductive land. Shades of WW2!

I agree that the government of the day would sieze it if it was not being used productively. However, for myself, I would indeed be using for food production.

Also, if you go back to pre-industrial time, it becomes obvious why a feudal system becomes the obvious economic model. If you are a land owner, you are not going to be capable of both farming and protecting a large section of land. Much better, then, to parcel the land out. Rent off each parcel such that the occupant can produce enough for themself and also sell some surplus. You, as the land owner, can then take a portion of the profit for the sale of that surplus from each tenant. You also have the added advantage of having each of the tenants acting as security for their own parcel of tenanted land

Edited by Steve Cook

So you crypto communist fascists who disapprove of the absent-landlord BTL system and speculation in general, now want to speculate on land that you will not farm.

I don't get it...

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
So you crypto communist fascists who disapprove of the absent-landlord BTL system and speculation in general, now want to speculate on land that you will not farm.

I don't get it...

Let them eat new build flats, I'd like somewhere to muddy the wellies from time to time.

Guest X-QUORK

I don't get it...

On this, you have a point (although I'd stop short of the crypto communist fascist comment).

Given the fractured nature of society in the UK today, with different groups with different beliefs and values, each of whom will be looking out for themselves, a mad max scenario is more likely than ever. Plus the ever increasing supply of weaponary on the streets. I can't see a ration system and rallying around the flag working this time round, can you ? :lol:

I can't see a ration system and rallying around the flag working this time round, can you ? :lol:

I can't see it being necessary 'this time round'. <_<:ph34r:

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
Given the fractured nature of society in the UK today, with different groups with different beliefs and values, each of whom will be looking out for themselves, a mad max scenario is more likely than ever. Plus the ever increasing supply of weaponary on the streets. I can't see a ration system and rallying around the flag working this time round, can you ? :lol:

There will be gangs of slow moving fat teenagers armed with bottles of sauce sniffing for frying meat.

They won't be slow and fat for long!

Given that most people think meat is something manufactured that comes in vacuum packs from supermarkets, I doubt many will have the intellectual agility to make the jump that links 'burger' to 'large animal in field'.