House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

juvenal

Do Lcd Displays Use Much Energy?

I have a bedside radio which, even when switched off, displays the time by LCD (Sony Dream Machine). How much power do such devices use when left on 24 hrs a day? If I switch it off at the mains for more than 30 mins all the presets need resetting.

Sounds very trivial I know, but the question won't go out of my mind. Any expertise out there?

Thanks

Look at the watts

Thanks for replying - it's 5W. As a total ignoramus, does this mean it uses just 5% of the power used by a 100w bulb?

Yes.

Electricity is sold in 'units' of a kilowatt hour, i.e. 1,000 watts delivered to your home continuously for one hour. At the moment, the cost of a kWh is around 11-15p, depending on what company you buy it from and on what contract. So running your LCD for 200 hours would use one unit. Call that 7-8p a week (roughly), times 12 weeks in a quarter: in very rough terms, your clock/radio on standby sticks a quid on your electricity bill.

Not much in itself, but multiply that by 5-10 gadgets on standby and there are opportunities for savings.

The Efergy is a very useful device - it provides a real-time display, in watts, of how much power your home is using at any one time. Even with everything off and only standby device, your house or flat can easily still be drinking 100w or so.

Yes.

Electricity is sold in 'units' of a kilowatt hour, i.e. 1,000 watts delivered to your home continuously for one hour. At the moment, the cost of a kWh is around 11-15p, depending on what company you buy it from and on what contract. So running your LCD for 200 hours would use one unit. Call that 7-8p a week (roughly), times 12 weeks in a quarter: in very rough terms, your clock/radio on standby sticks a quid on your electricity bill.

Not much in itself, but multiply that by 5-10 gadgets on standby and there are opportunities for savings.

The Efergy is a very useful device - it provides a real-time display, in watts, of how much power your home is using at any one time. Even with everything off and only standby device, your house or flat can easily still be drinking 100w or so.

Tnaks for this very informative reply. Extremely useful.

All respect to you, Ayatollah