House Price Crash Forum

Bradley Stoke was the epitomy of the last house price crash becoming in the process "Sadly Broke" is it going the same way today? Rightmove have 251 properties within this particular search with 2 beds and above. This ladies and Gents will be one area worth tracking with Property Bee.

Bradley Stoke was the epitomy of the last house price crash becoming in the process "Sadly Broke" is it going the same way today? Rightmove have 251 properties within this particular search with 2 beds and above. This ladies and Gents will be one area worth tracking with Property Bee.

I'm sorry, but Bradley Stoke is, and always has been, pretty grim - by all accounts. I'll be tracking areas in which I could be happy to live. :-)

It's not that bad! A bit soulless perhaps but it would be OK as a dormitory residence for a few years.

It will be a good barometer because it's full of young families and less affluent young professionals, the sort of people who are most likely to feel the pinch early on.

It's not that bad! A bit soulless perhaps but it would be OK as a dormitory residence for a few years.

It will be a good barometer because it's full of young families and less affluent young professionals, the sort of people who are most likely to feel the pinch early on.

We're talking about the same place. It is the offspring from the less-affluent young families loitering bored around the over-cramped estate that reviles me... There's nothing much wrong with the houses themselves (assuming you want to use one as a dormitory and not a residence) but they need to be spread out over about 4-times the area. The place would only be unpleasantly cramped if it was occupied by young professionals...

I'm sure there are other unpleasant places to live... but Bradley Stoke makes my skin crawl.

We're talking about the same place. It is the offspring from the less-affluent young families loitering bored around the over-cramped estate that reviles me... There's nothing much wrong with the houses themselves (assuming you want to use one as a dormitory and not a residence) but they need to be spread out over about 4-times the area. The place would only be unpleasantly cramped if it was occupied by young professionals...

I'm sure there are other unpleasant places to live... but Bradley Stoke makes my skin crawl.

Don't live there myself but I know it reasonably well. It is perfectly ok - housing stock relatively modern... with all that entails in terms of density and lack of a centre ....but certainly far from a sink estate.

Bradley Stoke is like a cancer - all the cells are the same and spread virulently.

Absolutely, and to extend the analogy, it's gone malignent and spread to Emmerson's Green and Stoke Gifford now as well.

Great places to live if you have two cars and don't like talking to anybody.

Edited by ImA20SomethingGetMeOutOfHere

Absolutely, and to extend the analogy, it's gone malignent and spread to Emmerson's Green and Stoke Gifford now as well.

Emmerson's Green seems to-me to be Bradley Stoke on steroids... similar density - but with some wasteland and the atmosphere of petty crime (last time I visited.) My impression, however, was that some parts of Stoke Gifford are survivable - if not especially pleasant.

I think of the situation in Newcastle as being endemic of what has been happening.

I want to prepend everything by saying that I am a proud Geordie, Newcastle is God's Country, we're the friendliest and sometimes most infuriating people in the UK and I consider myself incredibly lucky to grow up and prosper in a Britain's most interesting and beautiful provincial city. I don't know Bradley Stoke and from the sounds of it, I don't particularly want to.

The disparity between wages and house prices in Newcastle is beyond belief. In the small Northumbrian town I grew up in (around 10 miles outside Newcastle), a new housing estate sprung up offering 2-beds for £99,950. More than a third of the town is on the dole and even those who work would come nowhere near the £30,000 household wage needed with a 10% deposit to buy these shoeboxes.

Even stranger, according to Panorama, a third of this town are on drugs and it has the biggest methadone program between Edinburgh and London - from a population of around 25,000.

There is nowhere desirable in this place. Yet, somehow, it is worth hocking yourself up with a £89,950 mortgage at £550-600 per month. Mmm...bunch of crap.

We tried to buy there a few years ago and houses were selling by the bucketload every day - mostly btl. Estate agents could barely be bothered to show you around the house cos they were selling so easily. Hope its a really different story now - we woke up to the reality of the place and decided we would be mad to buy there as we want somewhere to live long term and its certainly not in the armpit of the M4/M5!!