House Price Crash Forum

Axe To Fall On At Least 10,000 Banking Jobs In City

HOLA441
well you cannot extrapolate the majority of cases from a low sample size.

1 director being overpaid a million quid is a outrage... 1 million people being underpaid 1 quid is just a statistic...

I'm assuming there is a point here, but it is evident.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
HOLA443
It`s always the case, I`m worth what I get but everyone else is ovepaid. :rolleyes:

not in the slightest... Its a free market for any of us to provide our labor in return for whatever rates we can negotiate.

I'm by definition worth whatever anyone is willing to pay me and that is likey to fluctuate over time depending on macro conditions.

the fact that I choose to work in the city is as a result of me being an economic migrant worker from a different part of the country.

I was trying to show the focusing bias in the picture that is propagated by the media. due to greedy overpaid bankers selling newspapers... but kind charitable bankers donating money to charity would never get a lookin... its just not a story that sells.

arrh enjoy your alternate realities of villains... I'm done with you.

HOLA444
not in the slightest... Its a free market for any of us to provide our labor in return for whatever rates we can negotiate.

I'm by definition worth whatever anyone is willing to pay me and that is likey to fluctuate over time depending on macro conditions.

the fact that I choose to work in the city is as a result of me being an economic migrant worker from a different part of the country.

I was trying to show the focusing bias in the picture that is propagated by the media. due to greedy overpaid bankers selling newspapers... but kind charitable bankers donating money to charity would never get a lookin... its just not a story that sells.

I'm sorry, did you say it's a free market? Free markets gravitate towards maximum efficiency, they do not support thousands of paper shufflers being paid salaries far in excess of what is required to get the work done. What you have in the city is the very antithesis of a free market, it is one supported by legal regulations and other obstacles

HOLA445
I'm sorry, did you say it's a free market? Free markets gravitate towards maximum efficiency, they do not support thousands of paper shufflers being paid salaries far in excess of what is required to get the work done. What you have in the city is the very antithesis of a free market, it is one supported by legal regulations and other obstacles

no free markets are not efficent but they provide a way of undermining the excesses in a way that should repair the system eventually

it is free... your wrong...

HOLA446
Guest Charlie The Tramp

Oh dear, and to think my little post was not aimed at you or your posting in any way. Anyway it was nice knowing you.

This Spring and Autumn thing does cause problems in interpretation. :rolleyes:

HOLA447
Oh dear, and to think my little post was not aimed at you or your posting in any way. Anyway it was nice knowing you.

This Spring and Autumn thing does cause problems in interpretation. :rolleyes:

sorry it was boom boom that particular passage aimed at... happy to listen to anything you have to say Charlie

HOLA448
well you cannot extrapolate the majority of cases from a low sample size.

1 director being overpaid a million quid is a outrage... 1 million people being underpaid 1 quid is just a statistic...

Wasn`t it Stalin who said `one death is a tragedy and a million is a statistic?`

Waving statistics around is pretty sad too, city boy! :P

HOLA449
sorry it was boom boom that particular passage aimed at... happy to listen to anything you have to say Charlie

Just rise above it and ignore the tossers trying to goad you, mate. It just sounds like jealousy to me :)

To everyone who is having a go: if you really want to make a lot of money, get off your arses and get an education that will get you a cushy city job. After all, as you are quick to point out, there's no skill, dedication or hard work involved.

... but then again, you could just remain hidden behind your computer and moan about people making more money than you without trying to improve your own situation.

HOLA4410

According to the Guardian article, more people got laid off in the dot-com bust.

In London, this made precisely zero difference to house prices, in fact that's when they started going up to such ridiculous levels that I gave up seriously looking to buy.

So is 10,000 redundancies really going to make much difference? I wouldn't be surprised if this autumn the papers have front page news about 'Record bonuses' and pictures of mockneys spraying strip clubs with champagne...

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
Just rise above it and ignore the tossers trying to goad you, mate. It just sounds like jealousy to me :)

To everyone who is having a go: if you really want to make a lot of money, get off your arses and get an education that will get you a cushy city job. After all, as you are quick to point out, there's no skill, dedication or hard work involved.

... but then again, you could just remain hidden behind your computer and moan about people making more money than you without trying to improve your own situation.

Think I`ll go for the latter option as I`m risk-averse (and working in the City is pretty risky at the moment).