Sign in to follow this  
Prophet_of_Pwnage

Labour Hammered In Post Budget Opinion Polls

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/1603_poll.shtml

News of the World poll shows Conservatives 9 points ahead of Labour

-Cameron as popular as Blair in 2002

-More voters trust Tories to run economy

By Ian Kirby

THE TORIES have built a commanding NINE-POINT lead over Labour since the Budget, an exclusive News of the World ICM poll reveals.

David Cameron's Conservatives are now almost as popular as Tony Blair's Labour were in 2002...a year after he won a second massive election landslide.

The poll also shows that for the first time since Labour came to power in 1997, support for the government has SLUMPED after a Budget.

It reveals the Tories' lead has trebled in a month to give them their BIGGEST margin since Gordon Brown took over as PM last year, with 40 PER CENT of people backing them, against Labour's 31 per cent.

Cameron also enjoys a PERSONAL lead over Brown with 37 per cent saying he would make the better PM, as against 31 per cent for Brown.

New Lib Dem leader Nick Clegg gets just nine per cent.

Pressure

Crucially the poll also reveals that MORE people trust the Tories on the economy—34 per cent to Labour's 28 per cent.

It's a hugely significant figure, given that Brown was Chancellor in charge of the country's finances for 10 years, and heaps more pressure on his beleaguered successor Alistair Darling.

The poll is the first snapshot of public opinion taken since Darling hiked taxes on booze and cars on Wednesday.

And the Tories' 40 per cent support puts them almost level with Blair's triumphant party in 2002 when Labour had 42 per cent support.

The Tories are also storming ahead in the crucial "feelgood" questions, especially the vital "Are we in touch with the issues that matter to you?" There they score 44 per cent—almost a third more than Labour's 29 per cent.

It shows they have managed to close the "credibility gap", indicating people now believe they are capable of forming a government.

The public's opinion of their health policies has gone up by 12 per cent, and on the economy and education the rise is an impressive 14 per cent.

The only area where voters prefer Labour is health, although only by two per cent. Labour also has stronger support among the under-35s on education and the economy.

Another poll, in the Sunday Times, gave the Tories a 16-point lead. The YouGov study put the Tories on 43 per cent and Labour on 27 per cent.

ICM interviewed a random sample of 1,002 adults aged 18 and over by telephone between March 12 and 13. Interviews were conducted across the country and the results have been weighted to the profile of all adults.

As much as 16 points?! :lol::lol: Music to my ears.... are the masses finally waking up?

Crucially the poll also reveals that MORE people trust the Tories on the economy—34 per cent to Labour's 28 per cent.

That's the one that matters, and that's the one that'll ultimately send the red team home in the losers minibus.

i am still willing to bet that when it comes to it the sheeple will vote better the devil you know rather than the unknown in these unknown times...

I think it will probably be Labour to win the next election - they don't deserve to but somehow they'll manage to rig the election - postal votes and all that stuff. Me - I'm voting Lib Dems - for 2 reasons: 1. Proportional Representation (wow!, my vote might count after all these years) and 2. Lib Dems voted against the Iraq war. For that alone, they deserve my vote.

The economy is always the key to a governments popularity.

As mush as Brown denies it, poeple ARE being affected on a daily basis, they ARE noticing, they will change sentiment.

HPC, here we go, at the top of the coaster, about to roll.

Does anyone know anybody who openly admits they will vote labour?

This question excludes those who work at the BBC and for local/national government. Didn't think so.

I'm sure those on cushy benefits would but are unlikely to bother as something good will be on sky is bound to clash with voting night.

Guest KingCharles1st

NOW HEAR THIS

D.C.s new catchphrase, should be when talking about the governments latest foul up- and then adding- "but as labour said in the budget...they will probably say again about - insert topic of discussion here

"WHO CARES"

It's the IDEAL self created weapon that Labia will never shake off- well done mr Balls

Edited by KingCharles1st

Does anyone know anybody who openly admits they will vote labour?

This question excludes those who work at the BBC and for local/national government. Didn't think so.

I'm sure those on cushy benefits would but are unlikely to bother as something good will be on sky is bound to clash with voting night.

I would!! I believe greed is inherently a tory facet, and it is greed that has caused all our problems not the government. I think it's about time all those involved in BTL and pushing up HPI fessed up!

Although I would just as well like to see the Tories win just so I can see the face of every tory whinger as they realise Dave's just sh*t on their doorstep!!

It would be worth it...

:lol::lol:

I would!! I believe greed is inherently a tory facet, and it is greed that has caused all our problems not the government. I think it's about time all those involved in BTL and pushing up HPI fessed up!

Although I would just as well like to see the Tories win just so I can see the face of every tory whinger as they realise Dave's just sh*t on their doorstep!!

It would be worth it...

funny, because I've seen rather a lot greed, debt fueled consumption and a growing sense of entitlement in the past 10 years.

It would be worth it...

Greed the tories fault, yeah but the tories are not in power explain. I'm sure those sitting pretty may vote labour, but as soon as those who are not out number them....already happened I'd say.

Edited by Ipodjunky

urgh. the tories. i cant think of anything worse than the tories.

voting for the tories is a vote for more of the same.

nu lab are tories.

what ? are people really this stupid ?

A vote for the Tories is simply a way of removing Labour. Probably the best thing that could possibly happen would be a hung parliament and a deal between Lib Dems and the Conservatives. This way we might get electoral reform which will give the British people more of a say of what actually happens in the country.

A vote for the Tories is simply a way of removing Labour. Probably the best thing that could possibly happen would be a hung parliament and a deal between Lib Dems and the Conservatives. This way we might get electoral reform which will give the British people more of a say of what actually happens in the country.

Wouldn't mind a Liberal-Tory coalition.

Anyone but Labour.

Wouldn't mind a Liberal-Tory coalition.

Anyone but Labour.

Well I'm hoping for that to be honest. I want electoral reform as I feel some of the fringe parties have something to offer even if they can't govern. Greens, UKIP and the BNP all have valid arguments but are all being left out of the political system.

We NEED to get rid of this government, and no matter what you think of the Tories they simply can't be any worse then what we have now. Just not possible. A chance of an improvement, no matter how small people may think that is with the Tories, is better than no chance at all with this bunch of corrupt and incompetent muppets.

Guest KingCharles1st
Well I'm hoping for that to be honest. I want electoral reform as I feel some of the fringe parties have something to offer even if they can't govern. Greens, UKIP and the BNP all have valid arguments but are all being left out of the political system.

Yes- you are RIGHT- absolutely 100%

How the hell do we force this upon the masses then- whats the pitch- how do we rig it?

Sunday Times poll:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/poli...icle3559480.ece

March 16, 2008

Support for Labour hits 25-year low

David Smith and Jonathan Oliver

Full YouGov poll results

Labour has slumped to its lowest poll rating since 1983, when Michael Foot was leader, as voters delivered a withering verdict on last week’s budget.

Gordon Brown’s party slipped to 27% – 16 points behind the Conservatives – amid growing concern about the government’s economic competence, a YouGov survey for The Sunday Times shows today.

If the results of the poll were repeated in a general election, David Cameron would storm into Downing Street with a landslide majority of 120 and a string of high-profile cabinet ministers including Alistair Darling, the chancellor, would lose their Commons seats.

The Conservative lead is the largest of any survey since October 1987, shortly after Margaret Thatcher’s final election victory and on the eve of the Black Monday stock market crash.

Labour’s percentage of the vote is the lowest since June 1983. The YovGov poll, the first since Wednesday’s budget statement, puts the Tories on 43% and Nick Clegg’s Liberal Democrats on 16%.

Brown’s personal approval level has also taken a hit. His minus 26 rating is the lowest since he became prime minister. The poll is equally devastating for Darling. Almost half of voters – 47% – say the chancellor is “not up to the job”. He is backed by barely one in five.

The Tory lead has widened significantly since the last Sunday Times poll a month ago. Then they were ahead of Labour by just nine points.

The main cause of the swing to the Conservatives is the collapse in faith in Brown and Darling’s stewardship of the economy. Just 21% of voters now say they would trust Labour more than the Conservatives to raise their family’s living standards, with the Tories in a decisive lead on this issue.

The overwhelming majority – 83% – believe the economy will either grow more slowly over the next 12 months or slide into recession. Worryingly for Labour, its claims that taxes cannot be cut without harming essential public services are no longer widely accepted.

Six out of 10 back the Tory argument that making the public sector more efficient will create room for lowering the tax burden and almost eight out of 10 – 78% – say the government is not doing enough to cut the amount of taxpayers’ money it wastes.

There was widespread scepticism about Darling’s individual tax rises. Three out of four or 74% agreed that so-called “green” taxation on polluting cars and flights were a “con” and 85% say the higher alcohol duty rates will do nothing to curb binge drinking.

Today’s poll result suggests a possible Labour meltdown in May’s local and London elections. The Tories are ahead of Labour in the capital by 24%, indicating that Ken Livingstone, the Labour mayor, will struggle to hang on to power.

The growing Conservative lead also makes it less likely that Brown will call an election next year.

If the Tory 16-point lead is repeated in the next general election, Jacqui Smith, the home secretary, would be certain to lose her Redditch seat and Ruth Kelly, the transport secretary, would be ousted from Bolton West. Assuming the swing against Labour is the same throughout the country, even Darling’s Edinburgh South West seat would fall to the Tories.

The massive Conservative lead is likely to prompt more insurrection from Labour’s modernisers, impatient with Brown’s failure to reform public services.

Writing in today’s Sunday Times, Alan Milburn, the Blairite former health secretary, warns that Labour is at risk of losing power. “The next election is up for grabs,” he said. “After a string of bad luck and some self-inflected wounds, Gordon Brown is down but not out.”

In his first article on British politics since Brown became prime minister, Milburn accuses Brown of “inconsistency” and urges him to give more power to ordinary citizens. “Whitehall’s grip tightens not loosens through a frenetic outpouring of initiatives ranging from regulating children’s play to banning light-bulbs,” he writes.

Milburn urges Brown to ape Tory plans to allow parents to control school budgets: “Record numbers of parents are seething because they cannot get their child into their preferred school.”

The threat of defeat at the polls could also lead to a revolt from the left, who believe Brown has not done enough for Labour’s “heartland” voters.

If Labour does perform poorly in May, this autumn’s party conference in Manchester threatens to become the scene of internecine plotting. Some MPs are considering challenging Harriet Harman, the Labour deputy leader, a long-standing Brown ally.

Allies of Jon Cruddas, the left-wing backbencher who came third in last year’s contest for deputy, want him to mount another bid for the job.

We NEED to get rid of this government, and no matter what you think of the Tories they simply can't be any worse then what we have now. Just not possible. A chance of an improvement, no matter how small people may think that is with the Tories, is better than no chance at all with this bunch of corrupt and incompetent muppets.

honestly, having lived through the last lot. it will be EXACTLY THE SAME.

from what i remember the policy toward the public was the same.

they choose, we protest, they force it, we lump it.

tories crashed just as many markets as nu lab.

they wrecked the peace and stablity of an economy so city bankers make money.

they are the same people from the same stable running in the same race.

dont hand them the baton.

they percentages only come to 83%

the cowardly paper was scared to say that the bnp would take over 5% of the rest.

they can hide the truth in there editorial but they cant stop the people at the ballot box.

From the Sunday Times article:

Gordon Brown’s party slipped to 27% – 16 points behind the Conservatives

That's significant. Given our FPTP electoral system and the fact that Labour has gerrymandered the constituency boundaries so that, in effect, more votes are needed to elect a Tory MP than a Labour one, the political scientists who've run the numbers are arguing that the Tories will need a 15-20% lead in the polls going into a general election if they're to have a realistic chance of an outright majority. Nine points won't do it, though it could hang Parliament.

Given the nature of how it's done, the YouGov poll does tend to favour the Tories over Labour a little bit. But if it's showing that much of a lead just over two years out from a general election, and if Clinton was right and it is indeed the economy, stupid, then two more years of Labour sodomising our economy should be enough to seal their fate - even if they resort to desperate, Iran-style election-rigging measures (e.g. giving illegal immigrants the vote).

There is no way we could ever see a Conservative - Lib Dem coalition. 0% chance guaranteed. Calamity Clegg could never carry the Lib Dem rank and file into a coalition with the Conservatives. Also, the price of Lib Dem support would be a referendum on PR; a price which Cameron would, wisely, never consider. The Conservatives would rather soldier on as a minority government and hope to win the inevitable re-run of the General Election which would inevitably follow. They could throw Scotland under the bus and enter into a coalition with the SNP, offering independence, if the electoral maths worked.