House Price Crash Forum
Joey122

Brent Cross Shopping Centre Deserted- Recession Begun

This saturday Brent Cross Shopping Centre in London was empty

I ve never seen it like that before - And it was raining which meant that people normally hang out there.

Bottom line : The recession is upon us

From a friend, Metro Centre was apparantly busy as usual today. And I was at the Silverlink retail park today (outskirts of Newcastle) and I've never seen it busier. Took ages to get out of the carpark.

Down near me it has been chocker as ever the last couple of Saturdays. However i am seeing people with less and less shopping bags. Also lots of shops with huge discounts available, thus margins are being affected.

I think we are seeing a period of realisation, which is only just beginning to hit home. Thus far it has mainly been mortgage and housing related jobs that have seen significant cuts to work force numbers.. Once this spreads outwards and every industry is seeing the same, then recession will be acknowledged.

Please note i do believe we are presently in recession however there is a lag time from the epicentre of the point of distress and the distress spreading outwards.

Wild cards however would be a major trigger event on the stock markets. I have a gut instinct there is something big out there with one of the major us/uk clearing banks and have been saying for months the significances of March 2008.

Guest Mr Parry

I ve never seen it like that before - And it was raining which meant that people normally hang out there.

I was in Asda at 02:00 Saturday morning. Very few shoppers. Don't even know why they were bothering to stack the shelves?

Rugby ?

Nah, England were already out so no one in Brent Cross would have given a toss what was going on in the rugby. Besides, sporting events only tend to eliminate the blokes from the shopping experience, many women I know use big sporting events to take advantage of less people being around.

I was driving through Slough today, and I saw a dark cloud gathering.

Dull greyness is normal for Slough, but I knew this was something diffferent. Something *SIGNIFICANT*.

Armaggedon is upon us!! aaaaggghhh

Guest Bart of Darkness
Rugby ?

Naaahhh, Brent Cross. Isn't The Clock Towers the shopping centre in Rugby?

They were obviouly licking their wounds and counting their losses from their portfolio exposure to Bear Steins :lol:

Charlton in London was chavtastically brimming with lowlife and business as usual:

Chavsda Supermarket: East African looking bloke talking a foreign language which sounded like the Somalian tongue as I have heard it spoken at work (but I'm not a speaker) slapping his 1/2 year old son in a shopping trolley with a set of 5 pairs of cheap socks because the little one wasn't doing as he was told.

McChavalds's #1: Two gentlemen with Scottish accents (rather thin and malnourished in appearance, dishevelled personal hygiene and dress and bottles of Magners) swaying around the counter and verbally abusing the staff.

McChavalds's #2 to infinity: Either: seemingly normal young families, groups of scum of driving age, van drivers, etc: All sit outside the shop, eat their shite and wind down the windows and drop it out. Creates an absolute sh1tehole around with sauces on the ground, drinks etc. Careful where you walk or that BBQ sauce is going on your carpets. It fits in with the sink area behaviour though. Someone's got to teach these kids to be antisocial and the parents are right on it round there.

TK Chav / Chavalan : Constant stream of wannabe gansters and other pikeys out for some cheap tat and bling.

It goes on...you get the picture

TFH

"I didn't see many people around when I was shopping today" = "recession is here".

This kind of weak anecdotal makes us all look foolish. :(

True, but it's not a bad indicator of economic activity.

I thought I heard the first cuckoo this morning.

It may very well have been from the Brent Cross area.

Have a great St Patricks Day tomorrow all,I know I will and I won't be going to Brent Cross

They didn't. Laminate sucks the life from quadrupeds, so you can use it create the floor covering of your choice. We chose "reindeer" in our previous place.

Either that or the missus brought the outside of a dead reindeer and put it on the lounge floor.

I ought to drink less, but won't.

Newcastle was quiet last night. It does seem to have got a lot quieter in the last 6 months and I'm not really sure why.

See Moo's post on another thread. Bipeds are not immune.

p-o-p

McChavalds's #1: Two gentlemen with Scottish accents (rather thin and malnourished in appearance, dishevelled personal hygiene and dress and bottles of Magners) swaying around the counter and verbally abusing the staff.

Did one have white hair and black eye brows? I'm sure I saw someone of that description verbally abusing the UK economy earlier in the week.

Charlton in London was chavtastically brimming with lowlife and business as usual:

Chavsda Supermarket: East African looking bloke talking a foreign language which sounded like the Somalian tongue as I have heard it spoken at work (but I'm not a speaker) slapping his 1/2 year old son in a shopping trolley with a set of 5 pairs of cheap socks because the little one wasn't doing as he was told.

TFH

Was in Chav Central yesterday aka Woolwich, seemed reasonably buoyant despite resembling inner Bagdad due to "market improvements."

Canary Wharf looked wind swepped and almost deserted this morning, I almost though they might be filming a sequel to "28 days later" but the shoppers were found lurking in the subterranean malls, sipping latte's, reading papers until Waitrose opened.

"I didn't see many people around when I was shopping today" = "recession is here".

This kind of weak anecdotal makes us all look foolish. :(

Agree , pathetic isn't it .

I've just looked out of the living room window , the street was empty , a sure sign the recession is here :rolleyes:

Newcastle was quiet last night. It does seem to have got a lot quieter in the last 6 months and I'm not really sure why.

Surely they are protecting themselves from the impending money market meltdown